PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight on Traditions Crockett!

tnpaw
11-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Has anybody put one on their Squirrel rifle yet! What about a front sight! What kind did you use if you did!......john

Lefty Red
11-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Quick and easy fix, and it shouldn't cost much or look ugly, is to have a 6-48 screw hole drilled and tapped back on the barrel and put a Skinner Lo Profile sight on it.

Lefty

John Allen
11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
tnpaw, I have been thinking about doing this to mine.

Squeeze
11-20-2013, 09:47 PM
yep, I did on an old cherokee .32 TC rear peep, and a lyman front globe, think it was .094 height, id have to check. I havent used it hunting yet, but it definitely did tighten up my groups on the range. Im a fan of peep sights for sure! I just cant do it with reg open sights anymore

tnpaw
11-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Lefty, what size front would you use with that Skinner?

John Allen, I put williams peeps on my to Benjamin's and it made a world of difference!

Squeeze, my old eye's ain't what they were, when I took Basic Training in 1966! Need all the help I can get! With a peep you just let your brain and eye center everything up and pull the trigger! Most time's I hit what I am looking at!......john

GARD72977
11-20-2013, 11:40 PM
This looks like a good option
Marbles Bullseye

Lefty Red
11-20-2013, 11:40 PM
The sight is .350" (middle of peep) high. So the stock blade should work.

tnpaw
11-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks Lefty, when I get back from Texas I will look into it!......john

dondiego
11-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Can someone post a picture of the Skinner sight mentioned please?

Lefty Red
11-21-2013, 01:47 PM
http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

I stand corrected, its only .275" from the barrel. That opens up ALLOT of front sight options.

And you can get a tall sight as well. I ordered one for my Omega, and in brass, to allow my head to not have to crank down badly. Have to get a taller front sight, but more out of want instead of need. I want a red fiber optic instead of the green I have.

musty nugget
11-21-2013, 01:59 PM
I had a semibuckhorn rear sight and a blade front sight on my rifle for many years and did well with it. Unfortunately my eyes are going south and i had trouble seeing the rear sight clearly. The simple answer was a tang mounted peep, or so I thought. I ended up with a lot of vertical stringing and a couple of missed deer. Those who shoot military rifles probably knew this would happen, not me. Switching to a front post with a small bead got my MOJO back, now my eye naturally centered the front sight in the rear peep.

Hanshi
11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
While I still use the factory open rear sight on my Crockett, I can't think of any downside to switching to a peep.

Lefty Red
11-21-2013, 02:24 PM
I had a semibuckhorn rear sight and a blade front sight on my rifle for many years and did well with it. Unfortunately my eyes are going south and i had trouble seeing the rear sight clearly. The simple answer was a tang mounted peep, or so I thought. I ended up with a lot of vertical stringing and a couple of missed deer. Those who shoot military rifles probably knew this would happen, not me. Switching to a front post with a small bead got my MOJO back, now my eye naturally centered the front sight in the rear peep.

Yep, have to find a front post you like. Or should say your eyes like. Marble makes a nice 1/16" brass and white bead, and I like that for target shooting. Not so good in hunting, I stick to FOs.