PDA

View Full Version : Stuff people complain about that bugs you...

jonk
11-20-2013, 10:41 AM
There are some things that people continually gripe about in the world of reloading (cast or otherwise) that just don't make any sense to me. Feel free to add to my list. :)

1. Powder burns too dirty. Ummm... it's a gun. It gets carbon and oil and fingerprints and grease and copper and lead and lube and so on all over it. I don't care if the bore has a few flecks of soot in it from some dirty powder. I care what load shoots best. Besides which, that's why they make cleaning solvent. Now I admit, I don't clean my guns after every shoot unless black powder or corrosive primers; but I also don't make a point of staring down the bore, "OH MY GOD THERE ARE FLECKS OF UNBURNT POWDER RESIDUE IN THERE! THE HUMANITY!!!"

2. Tarnished cases. Now, don't get me wrong, a shiny case is a pretty thing; and I do have two tumblers, and appreciate a nice looking reloaded round. However, I tumble to ensure that cases are clean; that they are shiny is just a nice side effect. I've actually seen people scrap brass because it was tarnished and a few hours tumbling didn't clean it to their satisfaction (I snatched it up happily).

3. Lee reloading stuff. People are often brand loyal. I get that. And ALL reloading companies make the occasional lemon. But while I might note that ONE set of Hornady dies I bought once had a bit of a burr on the expanding rod, it seems that people who either never owned a Lee product or had ONE bad experience with them go out of their way to bad mouth them. Which, to me, seems like they are trying to justify to themselves that they wasted so much money on their preferred brand. On the flip side, Lee supporters often don't own any other gear, and get all defensive when someone criticizes Lee- without knowing whether or not the other stuff really is better.

4. Commercially cast bullets causing leading. So. You bought a box of ultra-hard bullets lubed with some sort of lube that in and of itself is about as hard as a block of pine wood. Bullets that were made to function in any gun of a given caliber range, and not have the lube melt off in the box creating a big sticky mess. Get over it. Buy a Lewis Lead Remover or similar. Manufacturers can't cater to your exact diameter or lube needs, if it doesn't work for you, cast them yourself.

5. Other shooters don't share your own shooting/collecting preference. I'll be frank, I hate the AR platform. I don't go around telling people they are an idiot for having one. Main thing is that someone is involved in shooting sports and doing so safely and having fun; after that, why should I care if they have an AR, muzzleloader, high end target pistol, or a Jennings?

So those are 5 to get us started, let me know what you think.

Smoke4320
11-20-2013, 10:56 AM
people who say fastest is aways better but just can't find a good load for my whizz bang ultra super turbo mag..

Trey45
11-20-2013, 10:59 AM
People that complain for the sake of complaining. That bugs me.

plmitch
11-20-2013, 11:02 AM
People that complain for the sake of complaining. That bugs me.

Well played Sir.

uscra112
11-20-2013, 11:14 AM
I hate it when people complain about my complaining. Haven't they got anything better to complain about ? :kidding:

Love Life
11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Why isn't this in the complaint department? Where is Hamish (self appointed complaint department moderator) when you need him?

mold maker
11-20-2013, 11:54 AM
My pet pieve is those self appointed spell checkers and grammer monitors. So what if it requires a little brain drain to get the message.

runfiverun
11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I think it's Hamish's day off, you'll have to complain about not being able to complain here.
or there. not sure.

I work in the oil field, I'd burn up all the bandwidth available to this website if I started complaining about complaining on the job. err or is that on the job whining.
I get complaining and whining confused.
I think the cracked whine in the voice makes it whining and not complaining anymore.
it sounds similar to when my lab whines, she isn't complaining at that point but it's definitely a whining noise. [similar sound though]

oneokie
11-20-2013, 01:13 PM
My pet pieve is those self appointed spell checkers and grammer monitors. So what if it requires a little brain drain to get the message.

No comment.

waksupi
11-20-2013, 02:55 PM
You should see complaints from the staff side. We sure get 'em!

montana_charlie
11-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Uhh ... did you mean 'peeve'?

CM (SASCAGM)

1Shirt
11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
My complain is the guy who never sights in his rifle and complains about missing the buck!
1Shirt1

jcwit
11-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Pet Peeve? Those that only see value in a product or service by the high price of the item or service.
Only the costliest are worth purchasing.

Love Life
11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
^^^It's their money.

bob208
11-20-2013, 06:35 PM
pet peeve people that think they should make a magnum out of every cartage they load.

Harter66
11-20-2013, 08:44 PM
In the last few days I've found a new 1
1 People that continue to argue w/you when you agree w/them
1a ^^^^^ even when you've proven them wrong (or right) w/their own words.
2 people that read half of your post and send you to the stickies (leading in the middle of the bbl w/a clean bbl the 1st and last 4-6'' w/a lube star isn't in the stickies)
3 People that insist the the item in my hand doesnt exist (I do own a Savage 110 30-06' w/a 1-8.5 twist)

btroj
11-20-2013, 08:46 PM
I had a pet peeve, I was allergic and had to get rid of it. Too bad, it was well behaved and very loving.

Sigh

jcwit
11-20-2013, 08:57 PM
^^^It's their money.

That it is, but they don't need to shove it down my throat.

Yes it is their money or lack of.

And as the old saying goes, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Crawdaddy
11-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Spelled grammar wrong... Ducking for cover... Just kidding honest. Never corrected anyone in my life.

btroj
11-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Just as bad is the people who want to tell me that cheap stuff is as good as quality stuff.

Want me to believe your Tasco scope is good as a VX3? Fat chance.

runfiverun
11-20-2013, 09:57 PM
what if that tasco is a 49 power and your vx-IIIIIIII is only a 2x7 ??
ha, then it's waaaay sumthin better, who cares if you can only see 3"s of the target somewhere off to the left of the center dot.

dang, I was looking for a new peeve too, the last one runned off and joined the circus.

gandydancer
11-20-2013, 09:59 PM

I often wonder how they ever got together in the first place?:lol: ;)

Crawdaddy
11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
When you reply to an item for sale ad, mis read the post and some crusty curmudgeon that has nothing to do with the sale essentially calls you stupid.

Gimme a break... Mistakes happen.

Crawdaddy
11-20-2013, 10:04 PM
I often wonder how they ever got together in the first place?:lol: ;)

The Gubrment

Love Life
11-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I have a Tasco Varmint 6-24 scope that has 1,200 documented rds of 308 under it's belt. You ca see bullet holes in a green Echo target at 300 yds, and it track true. Not bad for the $65.00 I paid for it. It now sits alone collecting dust and waiting to be mounted on my next spur of the moment "Must have now" rifle while I save for some new glass to put on top of it.

I love that tasco scope ad it's twin that has been mounted on a 223 for several years. I would say that those two scopes ARE as good as a VX series Leupold. As reliable? Not sure. I don't treat them lightly, but I don't use them to pound screws into concrete either.

Love Life
11-20-2013, 10:08 PM

Who shoves their high dollar purchases down your throat? Why do you let it bother you?

How is it a lack of money if they are buying the expensive goods?

How does that old saying even apply to this? A fool would spend $3,200 on a tasco varmint. A wise man will spend $3,200 on a Schmidt and Bender.

You aren't making any sense.

Harter66
11-20-2013, 10:18 PM
^^^ And I rest arguably agreeing.......

jcwit
11-20-2013, 10:18 PM
How is it a lack of money if they are buying the expensive goods?

You aren't making any sense.

Ever see the person spend the cash or take out a bank loan to get the highest priced whatever, while the family gets food stamps or shops at the food bank? I might be wrong but that seems to be a lack of funds and poor priority.

Make sense?

jcwit
11-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Who shoves their high dollar purchases down your throat? Why do you let it bother you?

Just does, funny I guess. Mostly applies to those wishing to only brag when they can't afford it anyway.

The OP asked what bugs me, I replied, you differ on it, so be it, I could care less. Don't spoil my day, I found the growths removed last week are not cancer, I feel pretty good. Lets leave it at that. OK?

Love Life
11-20-2013, 10:28 PM
That's great news jcwit!! Great news indeed!

jcwit
11-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Thank You! It sure made my day, plus everything is healing up just fine.

Going to call it quits for today, 60 mile trip to hospital and 60 back, and everything else, I'm hitting the sack. Too much for an old man.

Now for the rest of you, back to what bugs you.

Love Life
11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Fantastic!! I'll give you a couple of days off from me hassling you. Get well!

btroj
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM
I could lost all my pet peeves but my wife said I don't have that kind of life expectancy left......

Crawdaddy
11-20-2013, 10:39 PM
That's great news jcwit!! Great news indeed!

Awesome news!

btroj
11-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Can we have a sticky of complaints? Maybe even a complaint sub forum, even a separate one for powder coated complaints.......

Anyone here hate sarcasm? Not me.

Harter66
11-20-2013, 10:45 PM
I unerstand that I have been the luckiest in the world . My Dad has a 4-12x50 Tasco that has been on his 700BDL since 72' has 1000+- rounds of 25-06' from 120 degree deserts of CA to sub-zero mountains in Mt no fog ,no fuzz. I have a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x40 no complaints. My $200 Savage w/$89 Tasco shoots as well as a guys Zies topped pre-64' Model 70 because he boasted of shooting his mulie doe 4x w/Barns tsx no less then finishing it off w/his Pro Carry Kimber. Actually I'm kind of let down only getting to shoot once w/$289 rifle package and silly cast boolit.

I have a couple of Lee tools I like and I wouldn't have gotten into casting w/o the $20 moulds.

Beware the man w/1 gun, he probably knows how to use it. Even if it isn't from the top shelf.

Love Life
11-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Coyotes are thick this year in my area, Rich. Get on up over the hill and let's put pain to fur!

454PB
11-20-2013, 10:56 PM
My complaint is that old "expert" at the rifle range that wants to talk guns and loads while I have my muffs on....and have a gun aimed downrange.

Harter66
11-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Life ,
Pretty soon, I've a new old 222 .......In Arkanasas.
I do need to wring out the 7mmRWH though.
Pearl Harbor Day or weekend?

Love Life
11-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Don't matter to me as long as it's not the 10th-17th of December, as the Matriarch will be in town. Hopefully we'll have some snow on deck. If so bring some snow shoes!

geargnasher
11-21-2013, 12:11 AM
People who attempt to bring everyone on an internet discussion board down to their own level of incompetence annoy the hell out of me.

Gear

Win94ae
11-21-2013, 03:44 AM
I don't like the phrase, "all day long" when talking about shooting precision/accuracy... unless they are going to tell me if it is simply an 8 hour day, or as long as the sun is up.

45 2.1
11-21-2013, 08:57 AM
People who attempt to bring everyone on an internet discussion board down to their own level of incompetence annoy the hell out of me. Gear

Ain't that just the truth.... and we've got several of them on this site.

garym1a2
11-21-2013, 09:04 AM
You met my brother, only he is not that old yet.

My complaint is that old "expert" at the rifle range that wants to talk guns and loads while I have my muffs on....and have a gun aimed downrange.

Bret4207
11-21-2013, 09:46 AM
My biggest annoyance in the internet cast boolit world is people who simply cannot find it within themselves to do just a little bit of searching before they ask a question that's not only been answered several thousand times already, but has a whole special section devoted to that issue. Invariably they pose the question as though they were the very first person to ever even consider shooting a GC design without the GC!!! I find it maddening. Secondly comes the guy who claims to "have done a lot of reading here" and then starts asking about increasing the "hardness" of his alloy that he hasn't yet cast and never shot. Sheesh!

That'll do me for now.

ETA- 2 questions about the GC thing on page one of Cast Boolits today!!! ARRRRRGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

reloaderman1
11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
I've never seen so many "first world" problems in one place!

No, really , I'm enjoying them all !

DeanWinchester
11-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Price gouging. I'm sick of hearing it.
"Waaaa, I can't afford .22's.". So what? You should have stocked up. Stop ******** at the guy who's making a profit in a free market capitalist society. He's not breaking any rules. It's the way it works. He wouldn't do it if people didn't buy it.

It's not some new revelation that times are so bad. It's only been squawked about for the last hundred years. If you find yourself in short supply, that's your fault for being a grasshopper instead of an ant.

blackthorn
11-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Spelled grammar wrong... Ducking for cover... Just kidding honest. Never corrected anyone in my life.

Until now! LOL

Sensai
11-21-2013, 12:29 PM
People who start something and then just don't f

Tdart
11-21-2013, 12:33 PM
"Waaaa, I can't afford .22's.". So what? You should have stocked up. Stop ******** at the guy who's making a profit in a free market capitalist society. He's not breaking any rules. It's the way it works. He wouldn't do it if people didn't buy it.

It's not some new revelation that times are so bad. It's only been squawked about for the last hundred years. If you find yourself in short supply, that's your fault for being a grasshopper instead of an ant.

I'll second that. People who think they deserve something just because they're alive.

jcwit
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM

So this brings up something else that "bugs" me.

Not everyone could be "prepared", there are new shooters coming on the scene every day, who just got their first firearm, how are they even to know to be prepared?

Furthermore it no longer is the guy who's out there just trying to make a profit, it has turned into a black market instead of a free market, a whole sector of illegal business, IMO.
People selling goods purchased at the retail level & selling at a profit with no retail license & more than likely never reporting their profits as income.
If it was a box or two and a transaction that happened a couple of times, OK, but this has turned into an ongoing illegal business.
For those that think its all OK, be thankful gas isn't as easily stored and transported as .22 rimfire shell.

Now for those who may think I'm "whining", because I can't buy or do not have enough .22's, wrong again. I have more than I'll ever shoot I believe and have given many to Jr. shooting programs along with monies for the purchase of same. Mine was not purchased with intent of hoarding, but purchased years ago simply because it was on sale, any where from $5.00 to $8.00 dollars a brick. I have done the same with primers & powder, purchased when on sale. I have sleeves upon sleeves of 5,000 primers that were purchased for less than $40.00 per 5,000 primers. Done the same with Motor oil, when Menards has a sale on QS Synthetic oil with a rebate where one gets all their money back except for sales tax for the price of a stamp, why not stock up with free oil.

For those out there that think the current scalping price is the "new norm", consider the fact the retail price of high quality match ammo is still in the $70.00 to $150.00 a brick the same as it was 8 years ago. That's odd isn't it?

jcwit
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I'll second that. People who think they deserve something just because they're alive.

I don't deserve it, I have it!

Gouging still isn't right.

btroj
11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
My biggest annoyance in the internet cast boolit world is people who simply cannot find it within themselves to do just a little bit of searching before they ask a question that's not only been answered several thousand times already, but has a whole special section devoted to that issue. Invariably they pose the question as though they were the very first person to ever even consider shooting a GC design without the GC!!! I find it maddening. Secondly comes the guy who claims to "have done a lot of reading here" and then starts asking about increasing the "hardness" of his alloy that he hasn't yet cast and never shot. Sheesh!

That'll do me for now.

ETA- 2 questions about the GC thing on page one of Cast Boolits today!!! ARRRRRGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You mean people who think they can become experts on something they have never done?

I hate people who don't realize that you can't garner the knowledge people have after 20 years of casting and shooting lead bullets by doing anything but casting and shooting lead bullets for 20 years!

Cast, load, shoot. That is how you learn.

Crawdaddy
11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Until now! LOL

Caught that after I wrote it. Too lazy to edit.
Next pet peeve, lazy people!