PDA

View Full Version : Passing it on

snuffy
11-18-2013, 11:28 PM
My son after our last range session said he'd like to learn how to cast. He was having a ball shooting the 9mm 124 lee tumble lube TC boolits. Some of which he had loaded. I started him handloading when he was 14, he's now 30.

Here's his first attempt just tonight;

He's more dextrous than me, it wasn't long, maybe 15 minutes until he was timing the rate to move the mold under the spout, and cutting the flow so it didn't slop over the end.

We/I water drop these to increase the hardness.

The thinking is; I'm not getting any younger, he will be inheriting this equipment, it's time he learned as much as he can about it.

He was thrilled to see those shiny-nice boolits falling from the mold,,--he's hooked!:smile::bigsmyl2:

The pistol range at Ft. McCoy Wi last Sunday.

BNE
11-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Nice!

Harter66
11-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Its nice to see a love shared and a passion grow.

There is still hope for my kids .
Its a damned shame when life gets in the way of living. Thats what seems to have happened w/ mine.

Blacksmith
11-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Now that you got him hooked, tell him to join Cast Boolits so he can learn the RIGHT way. :kidding:

Kidding aside we would welcome some more second generation folks here. Tell him we won't bite.

Ed Barrett
11-20-2013, 02:11 AM
We should all be passing on our knowledge to the next generations

captaint
11-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Poor kid, he's never gonna be the same... I like the falling plates deal. Paper only at my range.
Mike By the way, your son did a great job...

w5pv
11-20-2013, 08:18 AM
My son is 44 but shows no interest in shooting wish he would maybe my grandson will when he gets older.

novalty
11-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Congrats! I'm sure he was excited to go through the entire process from casting to reloading to shooting.

Big fan of the plate rack myself. Ordered this one from Action Target this year. Next will be getting some sort of sand trap set up underneath it to collect lead easier. Still manage to retrieve some, and boy does it do a number to plated & fmj. It was great seeing the look on the 10 year olds face this past weekend as he shot a .22 rifle and handgun for the first time--lit right up shooting steel.
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1387994_10202284287972202_1895424080_n.jpg?oh=88b3 fe50aaa30d691f91a9a74e412a45&oe=528ED603

snuffy
11-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Well, Matt came out last night to size the boolits. I had given them a coating of recluse lube, it was still pretty tacky, but they slid through the lee sizer just fine.

I didn't count how many he cast, but guessing about 300. Sized to .357 they should shoot fine in our CZ's.

[quote;Now that you got him hooked, tell him to join Cast Boolits so he can learn the RIGHT way.

Kidding aside we would welcome some more second generation folks here. Tell him we won't bite.[ quote.

He's pretty busy right now, will be for the next couple of years. He's studying for his bachelors degree, once he gets that, he's going into school to be a PA,(physicians assistant). He's already a first responder, CNA nurse and fireman. His fiance is a dietician nutritionist. The wedding will take place in 2015.

His interest in shooting was keen from as soon as he could try it. I bought him a single pump .177 air pistol that was too hard for him to cock. So he either had to bring it to me to cock, or figure out a way to do it himself. He would lay the gun on the ground, then lean on the pump/cocking lever to energize it! Then, he could shoot all he wanted to,,--well until he ran out of pellets!

Daisy made a modular .22 rimfire for a while back in the 80's. I got him one for his 8th B'day. It shot okay and was "expandable" so it could grow with the child. He would sit on the living room floor and take it apart and back together countless times.

AlaskanGuy
11-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Great post, but you better put a pair of welding gloves on his christmas list... He is gunna need them... Awesome to be able to pass on.... Our duty... And blessing to find somebody willing to receive...

AG

snuffy
11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Well, Matt came out last night to size the boolits. I had given them a coating of recluse lube, it was still pretty tacky, but they slid through the lee sizer just fine.

I didn't count how many he cast, but guessing about 300. Sized to .357 they should shoot fine in our CZ's.

[quote;Now that you got him hooked, tell him to join Cast Boolits so he can learn the RIGHT way.

Kidding aside we would welcome some more second generation folks here. Tell him we won't bite.[ quote.

He's pretty busy right now, will be for the next couple of years. He's studying for his bachelors degree, once he gets that, he's going into school to be a PA,(physicians assistant). He's already a first responder, CNA nurse and fireman. His fiance is a dietician nutritionist. The wedding will take place in 2015.

His interest in shooting was keen from as soon as he could try it. I bought him a single pump .177 air pistol that was too hard for him to cock. So he either had to bring it to me to cock, or figure out a way to do it himself. He would lay the gun on the ground, then lean on the pump/cocking lever to energize it! Then, he could shoot all he wanted to,,--well until he ran out of pellets!

Daisy made a modular .22 rimfire for a while back in the 80's. I got him one for his 8th B'day. It shot okay the stock was "expandable" so it could grow with the child. He would sit on the living room floor and take it apart and back together countless times.