PDA

View Full Version : ? for you guys with replacement knees.

Boz330
11-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Do you sound like Rice Crispies when you walk? I had my left knee replaced 8 weeks ago today. I have a popping in that knee that doesn't hurt but is distracting. The Doc says that it will lessen as the Quad muscle strengthens and the healing surrounds the knee cap. I can tighten the muscle as I walk and the popping quits but I can only hold it for a few steps. :shock:
I go back in 3 weeks for the right knee and I'm hoping it goes as well as the first one has. I can walk a mile and have been for a couple weeks but it sure isn't a fast mile.:violin:

Bob

Hardcast416taylor
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Had my left knee done 7 days after I retired, for the last time, 10 years back. Wish I`d had it done 15 years earlier. Yes, the "felt" noises and snap, crackle and pop sensations will subside in time. It is the body getting used to something new and adjusting to it. Keep the exercises up and the walking it does help. I`m getting those same "noises" in my good right knee now, so I may be looking on getting that fixed. Too many bangs and bumps to my joints over the years I guess, wonder if a grease zerk in the kneecap will help?Robert

Boz330
11-18-2013, 04:44 PM
My right one sounds like a ratchet wrench. The in home physical therapist even remarked on it when I was doing my initial rehab.
The PT place is literally almost across the street from my shop and I got 1 month membership to their gym when the PT ended, which will take me right up to the next surgery. Wanted to get it done before Obamacare deems me too old to spend money on. Unfortunately I'm still a contributor to the system since I don't have enough money to retire, which is also part Obama's fault.

Bob

Col4570
11-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I had my Knees replaced in 2005,six months between them.It was a superb job and it made me a new man.Of course there are after operation twinges and creaks but they will disappear.The recovery period in each case was about 8 weeks until I stopped feeling sorry for myself.There is a light at the end of the tunnel for those who have to go through this procedure.Go for it.

Epd230
11-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I had ACL replacement about 20 years ago ( I know-not even close to the same as a knee replacement). My knee did the same with the cracking and popping and general weakness. I spent 15 years babying it and afraid to work out or push it in any way.

Finally had a doctor reassure me that I am covered if it goes out again and encouraged me to exercise. Have pushed it the last 5 years and even started running! Feels great and no popping or cracking at all.

kbstenberg
11-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Did you guys have total knee replacement? I will probably have knee cap adjustment in a couple of weeks. Adjusting the cap so it sets in the center of the connecting bones.

Col4570
11-19-2013, 03:04 AM
kbstenberg,I had total knee replacements.It is important after the op to gently start a regular exercise the legs routine to build up muscle.This does not mean mountain climbing etc,just gentle walks to build up tissues around the operation area.As time lapses you will find that you can do more.Here the physios will not release you from hospital until you can bend the Knee to their requirements ,in each case I spent five days in Hospital.Certain discomfort is experienced after the op when you go to Bed,even the weight of sheets can keep you awake.I eventualy got a large plastic box and cut the ends out to keep my Knees away from the Sheets.
Regards.

JeffinNZ
11-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Isn't it amazing what can be done now? The guy who owns the fishing store I favour had his hip replacement replaced after many years. He showed me the original running gear. Ball screws onto the 'femur' and the tolerances are staggering. When cold the ball takes a bit of winding on. When body temp, it turns easily. Outstanding.

farmerjim
11-19-2013, 09:27 AM
I had double knee replacement 10 weeks ago. My right knee pops when I walk fast but not slow. The left knee , not at all. The doctor and the PT both say it will go away. I only have 3 PT appointments left. I will miss them, they have done excellent work on my recovery even though I called their place the torture chamber. When they bent my legs back, you could hear me screaming two blocks away.

Boz330
11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
kbstenberg,I had total knee replacements.It is important after the op to gently start a regular exercise the legs routine to build up muscle.This does not mean mountain climbing etc,just gentle walks to build up tissues around the operation area.As time lapses you will find that you can do more.Here the physios will not release you from hospital until you can bend the Knee to their requirements ,in each case I spent five days in Hospital.Certain discomfort is experienced after the op when you go to Bed,even the weight of sheets can keep you awake.I eventualy got a large plastic box and cut the ends out to keep my Knees away from the Sheets.
Regards.

They wanted 90* before they let me go. I actually had that in 2 days. I spent 4 hours a day in a constant motion machine which bends the leg without any effort by the you. They offered to let me out in 48 hours but I elected to stay the extra day because of the pain. My rehab went waaaaay better than I was expecting or the PT and Doc expected. I was on the walker for 5 days and a cane till about 2 weeks. At that point I could walk on my own, although not fast. I was also climbing stairs carefully. I had heard so many horror stories about the PT that I was really wondering if I was doing the right thing. Although most everyone said that it was worth it in the long run.
While the pain the day after surgery was intense the rest of it was for the most part pretty easy. I was religious about doing the exercises 2 times a day and pushed it as hard as I could stand. I am actually looking forward to getting the other one out of the way. A couple guys I know said that they wouldn't get the second one done till they couldn't stand the pain any longer. I guess that I have been pretty lucky, but I also went into it with a positive attitude about doing the rehab which I think is real important.
Jeff, I agree it is pretty amazing what is available now days. This probably wouldn't have been an option 30 years ago. I had several friends who had all of the cartilage removed from their knees because of damage. Now they use an arthroscope to just remove the damaged part giving a lot longer period before the knee replacement is necessary.

Bob