PDA

View Full Version : RE: Induction cook top for casting

singleshotman
11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Has anyone ever used one of these to cast bullets on? How much heat can you get out of an 1800 watt device? My wife wanted me to order one to try out, just a portable one. We have an electric range but are think of replacing with gas, I have electric stove. I use both a Lyman cast iron pot and a Lee electric pot. The Lee pot will barly get hot enough to cast pure lead for ,455 Webly HB bullets, i.m hoping this new one will work better. It says you must use cast iron or steel only, but the Lyman pot is cast iron.

375RUGER
11-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I cast many pounds of lead on my Kenmore induction top stove before I got dedicated equipment. They work really well for lead and I'd say 1800W will be fine as long as it doesn't have a thermal limiter like a lot of hot plates do now.

RED333
11-18-2013, 09:09 PM
But your boolits will become magnetized and stick inside the barrel.:lol:
I have not thought of that, sounds like a winner.

Moondawg
11-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't even want to think about what my wife would do to me if I tried melting lead or casting inside the house or anywhere near her new gas range top. She about stroked out just from me doing a one time only preparation of Emmert's lube on her stove and using some of her cooking utensils. It wasn't pretty. She is an ex-Army Nurse and tougher than boot leather. Usually a very kind and sweet woman, but turns mean and viscous when it comes to her kitchen and cooking stuff.

Fomdiddle
02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
I cast many pounds of lead on my Kenmore induction top stove before I got dedicated equipment. They work really well for lead and I'd say 1800W will be fine as long as it doesn't have a thermal limiter like a lot of hot plates do now.I wonder if the thermal limiter could be disabled and controlled with the PID I bought from Frozone. Fom

Bullshop Junior
02-24-2014, 01:45 PM
I have one of the single burner 10$ Walmart hot plate burners. Dont know that wattage but it melts lead pretty quick.

fatnhappy
02-24-2014, 09:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oUo9Moeq4