PDA

View Full Version : New mould and hollow point fun

TheBabinator
11-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I am still rather new to casting but am totally addicted. I just got my NOE .403 mould with hollow point!

I only ran two sessions and about 500 bullets but I have about 20%+ that are coming out junk. The tips aren't fully smooth or they get broken.
On the second batch i added a bit more tin thinking that might help but it was about the same results. So I am sure I'll figure out the combo of temp and alloy. I don't have a thermometer yet, hope to make a PID soon. Is this a normal junk rate for HP? My 45 cowboy mould drops about perfect. I am using range lead and a Lee 4-20 pot.

I also tried my hand at powder coating a few of them using the method detailed by KYShooter73.

It was a good weekend, can't wait to shoot 'em!

runfiverun
11-18-2013, 07:39 PM
hollow-point molds do seem to have a higher eject rate because of the extra steps involved.

williamwaco
11-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I am 90% sure your mold is not hot enough.

That pin cools off REALLY FAST.
You might get by with raising your pot temperature but I expect you need to cast faster.

Try this.

Cast as fast as you can with safety. Cast fast but do not hurry.
As soon as the sprue puddle hardens, cut it and drop the bullets on you drop pad.
Don't waste any time inspecting them. Don't even glance at them.
Refill the mold as quickly as you can safely.
Continue this pace until you have filled the mold at least 12 times.

Now, As soon as you drop the bullets, check them briefly. You will need tweezers to pick them up and inspect the cavity.
If the cavity does not form up smoothly around the pin, the pin and or mold is still too cold. Repeat the above until the hollow forms nicely.

paul h
11-18-2013, 08:57 PM
The key to hp's is hot and fast. Hollow points really put you on your a-game as far as getting the mold up to temp and keeping it there.

plainsman456
11-18-2013, 09:13 PM
When you think you got it too hot it should start dropping fine.

I found out with the one i got for my 41 mag.

TheBabinator
11-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I will work on the speed then. I usually wait that extra few seconds after the sprue frosts before cutting it since my other Lee mould doesn't like it so hot.

Bret4207
11-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Well, you need to experiment a bit. Each mould is a law unto itself. HP's tend to cool faster so you need to pick up the pace. How are the noses breaking? Coming off the pin or landing?