PDA

View Full Version : LBT, Saeco, or Cabine Tree

possom813
11-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Which one would you go for?

I haven't read a whole lot about any of them yet, but I like the Cabine Tree because you can do ingots with it. It doesn't appear that the Saeco does that, and I haven't researched the LBT very much yet to know if it's capable.

I need one for the obvious reasons, and would like it to be able to handle the Lyman 1lbs sized ingots and boolits.

This is going to be my Christmas gift from the wife :lol:

ReloaderFred
11-18-2013, 03:31 AM
I have the Saeco Lead Hardness Tester, and it only works on bullets. The bullets also have to be sized, which means that a .44 bullet must be sized to either .429" or .430" to fit in the step provided for that caliber. The results are repeatable, and it seems to be pretty accurate, but I'm thinking of selling it and buying the Cabin Tree tester for doing ingots, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Longone
11-18-2013, 06:27 AM
After looking and asking questions myself I have a Cabine Tree tester on the way. To me it seems to be the heartiest and very easy to use.

Longone

Sasquatch-1
11-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I have seen an LBT used and it seems to be a good device. The LBT cannot do an ingot with any width to it, were as the Cabine Tree can. The easy fix for this problem is to keep an old mold of some kind with you when smelting and just cast a couple slugs.

I have the Cabine Tree and love it. Never seen the Saeco used.

hermans
11-18-2013, 09:06 AM
I have the Cabine Tree. It is a very sturdy tool, gives repeatable(accurate) readings on any size boolit as well as ingots, and will last a life time.

Bret4207
11-18-2013, 09:29 AM
You won;t be sorry with the Cabine Tree. LBT is 2nd choice. SAECO, Lee, etc, a distant 3rd.

wyattjames
11-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Cabin tree all the way so easy to use and doing ingots is a big plus

SWANEEDB
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
CABINE TREE, and don't look back, have a Saeco also, looks like it'll go to the Swap & sell, they are good but have limitations, if the Saeco does not test right, send it back and they will calibrate for you at no cost but you do have a couple bucks more invested with paying the postage.

mold maker
11-18-2013, 10:13 AM
If your young, with really good eyes, you might get by with the LEE.
Otherwise the Cabin Tree is a sure thing.

jmort
11-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Based on the testing results, Lee Precision tester and Cabine Tree are most accurate. I would probably get the Cabine Tree as it is more versatile, but the Lee unit works well, more accurate than the others mentioned, and is a good deal.

bobthenailer
11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I previously had a Saeco and i now have a LBT , I prefer the LBT.
I have never used a cabin tree tester,

Walter Laich
11-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Cabine Tree does the job for me.

walt

Dan Cash
11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Cabine Tree, hands down.

Longone
11-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Just got word today mine is on it's way. Now I can start sorting unknown lead sinkers etc.

Longone

dromia
11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
I have had all three as well as the Lee and the Cabine Tree is the one I have now, the LBT is fine but not as versatile as the Cabine Tree, the SAECo only does boolits and the Lee is a joke as it comes, it works but needs some fettling, fabrication and a goodly dose of Heath Robinson to make it actually usable, typical Lee.

dromia
11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
I have had all three as well as the Lee and the Cabine Tree is the one I have now, the LBT is fine but not as versatile as the Cabine Tree, the SAECo only does boolits and the Lee is a joke as it comes, it works but needs some fettling, fabrication and a goodly dose of Heath Robinson to make it actually usable, typical Lee.

Anyracoon
11-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Have had a Cabine Tree for awhile now and I'm a happy camper. Prior to that had a Lee which I could never get the same readings on the same piece of lead?

possom813
11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Looking on Buffalo Arms at the Cabine Tree, there are two versions: Standard and Dual Purpose

What extra feature does the dual purpose have?

This is on the website, but I don't understand what it means to be able to check cases? Check cases for hardness or what?

Lead Hardness Tester Dual Purpose Model has all the features of the Standard Model (CTLT1) with the additional feature of using the dial indicator to check cases and loaded rounds.

dromia
11-21-2013, 03:38 PM
A nylon "V" block comes with the dual purpose whose pins fit into holes in the base of the unit, boolits, cases, loaded rounds and the like can then be put in the "V" block and the dial indicator rested on them, they are then rotated in the block and any out of roundness will be measured on the dial indicator. I do find it a useful feature and I am glad I bought the dual purpose version.

bangerjim
11-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Cabine all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have the Lee squinty thing and it is too hard to use and handle.

Cabine is accurate, repeatable.................. and portable..........I take it with me to the scrap yards!!!!!

banger

Sensai
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't know if anybody has mentioned it, but the Cabine Tree is a good one. ;<)

bhn22
11-21-2013, 06:21 PM
I must have the only LBT tester that'll do ingots. The LBT also reads directly into bhn, no mystic spells, bell curves, extrapolation, or hootchie-cootchie dances required.

carbine
11-22-2013, 04:48 PM
I heard that Cabin Tree may be going to a digital indicator. Any truth to that?

bangerjim
11-22-2013, 05:07 PM
I heard that Cabin Tree may be going to a digital indicator. Any truth to that?

Just go to your local Harbor Freight and buy thier 1" travel digital dial indicator. That is the 1st thing I did to mine!

Now when the chart is 0.85.....it reads 0.85!

I will never go back to the old analog dial again.

banger

drinks
11-23-2013, 05:54 PM
I have the Cabine Tree and the Lee, both do well, the Cabine Tree is faster, but the Lee is very accurate, I did replace the microscope with a cheap digital microscope, with the measuring scale, and it displays on the monitor, so there is a very good view.

DavZee
11-28-2013, 01:10 PM
I've been following the different lead hardness tester threads. I've got a lot of lead muffins that were cast by someone else that is no longer here to tell me about them. I also have access to blocks, chunks and large ingots of metal that seem to me to be lead. Having only been casting for about two years now, I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience. The hundreds of boolits that I have cast have worked great but I have no idea what's in my pot. I've decided that the Cabin Tree tester would be quite helpful for determining what's there. I've got one ordered and I'm sure that when it comes in I'll be running around testing every thing I can get my hands on! Don't we all just love new equipment (toys)? Thanks to everyone that posted with information and hands on experience with the different testers available.

geargnasher
12-01-2013, 12:16 AM
It's tough to get an accurate reading on a muffin or ingot because the rate of cooling (very slow) tends to make them test softer than they really are if they have any antimony in them. Best thing is to cast a boolit, air cool it, let it sit a week, and THEN test it.

The Lee machinist's microscope is somewhat difficult to read, but the real problem is holding it still at the correct distance and having enough light trained on the dimple. Many clever folks have devised fixtures from toy microscopes to solve this issue, and considering the simplicity, repeatability, and accuracy of the Lee tools I think it's worth it. Opinions, of course vary. I've never played with a Cabine Tree, but briefly owned a Saeco and found my thumbnail to be more accurate.

Gear

Uptickk
12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
For anyone that has the Carbine-Tree tester, I picked the imagine below from minute 7:40 on the following video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPE1E8LQ6c, it looks like the dial reading does not scale very well to brinell. Can anyone confirm whether or not it can take readings between 15 and 22 on brinell scale?

waksupi
12-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Wheel weights have varied in composition over the years. That probably accounts for the discrepancies. When using the CT tester, I pretty much ignored Bn, and made my own chart from the dial readings.

Sasquatch-1
12-02-2013, 09:02 AM
I can't really talk for the manufacturer, but my guess is he is just trying to relate the reading to the better known alloy equivalents. As for any of the less then scientific application devices, the precision devices costing in the thousands of dollars, this is more a reference tool.

For anyone that has the Carbine-Tree tester, I picked the imagine below from minute 7:40 on the following video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPE1E8LQ6c, it looks like the dial reading does not scale very well to brinell. Can anyone confirm whether or not it can take readings between 15 and 22 on brinell scale?

Uptickk
12-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Thank you for the replies. Sasquatch-1 I think you nailed it with trying to get the better known alloy equivalents. I am looking for something more precise without breaking the bank so I will have to look elsewhere.

dikman
12-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I am looking for something more precise without breaking the bank

I think we would all like that, let me know if you find it.

Boyscout
12-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a Lee, I get good results with it, but it is very hard and frustrating to use. Looking to upgrade someday.

DavZee
12-07-2013, 08:07 PM
I got my Cabin Tree tester yesterday. It was easy to assemble. The length of the rod the dial indicator is mounted to causes the needle to be two revolutions around for it to be securely held by it's mounting screw. I don't know if this affects accuracy. I've used it to check some lead muffins I have and they test consistently at 9 Brinell. I made three checks per muffin. This tester is easy to use and easy to read. I'm glad to have it because I had no idea what the hardness of the alloy I have is.

btroj
12-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Wheel weights have varied in composition over the years. That probably accounts for the discrepancies. When using the CT tester, I pretty much ignored Bn, and made my own chart from the dial readings.

I didn't make a chart but I do likewise. I compare the readings more than I do the estimated hardness.

Sasquatch-1
12-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Care to share?[smilie=s:

I pretty much ignored Bn, and made my own chart from the dial readings.

Gussy
12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I just picked up this thread.

For CabineTree users, just take a "Sharpy" and write the brinell # right on the dial face if you want to read Brinell right at the test with no chart. If you don't want to write directly on the dial, get a "screen protector" thin clear plastic used to protect digital camera screens, cover the dial with it and write on that.
Gus

detox
12-08-2013, 04:57 PM
When measuring ingots...the Lee instructions say to measure at the bottom on ingot. The flat surface against bottom of mould.

labradigger1
12-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I have the cabin tree dual purpose. Love it! Very versitle. Well made.

Chuck_ls
12-10-2013, 12:13 AM
I am going to check out the Cabine Tree after all the positive comments on this thread. Thanks

Chuck