PDA

View Full Version : If it ain't broke...

zardoz45
11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I got an 1851 Pietta .44 cal. and it shot great. Ran through my starter kit in short order, and most of my CCI #11 caps. Browsing through the forum I thought it would be a good idea to replace the nipples with ones from Track. Using RWS #11 caps I got 60% to 70% failures, caps didn't pop even after the second and third tries. After going back to CCI with the same result I finally put the Pietta nipples back in and got 100% reliability with RWS for the remaining 36 shots. The thing is, the caps seemed like they were smacked pretty hard on the Track nipples but still didn't go off. I'm going to try polishing them in my drill press since they looked a little rough and maybe the caps weren't seating against the nipple.

sharpsguy
11-17-2013, 02:35 PM
What's the fascination with the TOW nipples? Just get some back up nipples from Pietta and you will be set. You KNOW they work.

fouronesix
11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Just check for height first then chuck them in a drill or drill press. Using a file, turn down until cap bottoms out but is still snug. That will work for ANY caplock ML. Not a big deal nor much labor.

zardoz45
11-17-2013, 03:42 PM
The Track nipples do have a slightly shorter cone but the cap will have room to bottom out once they are filed down. In the meantime I'll go with the Pietta ones.

GunSlingerNM
11-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I tried the Tesco nipples on my Pietta 1860 Colt and the accuracy changed dramatically. Gun started shooting low and to the left using 777, pyrodex and Alliant-mz 20 and 25 meters, CCI and RWS caps. I ended up going back to stock nipples and accuracy returned to POA same distance. I had friends recommend and had read a lot of shooters liked the Tesco nipples but they didn't work on my gun.
Now to make my head really spin the Tesco nipples work very well on my ROA.