PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Cast Boolit Project a Sucess!

mtgrs737
11-14-2007, 02:35 AM
A while back I asked a question of the forum members as to which Boolit design I should get for my 30-30 Marlin microgroove. Two or three members said they had great results with Lyman's 311041 boolit so I ordered one from Midway and set to casting a few. So far my rifle likes the 10grs. of Unique load and has rewarded me with a 65 yard 5 shot group of 1 & 3/16". Now I know that many of you have done that at 100 yards or further but I was set up on a rickety card table with an old coat for a rest. I just wanted to see how it was going to shoot.

Needless to say I was smiling big and now will be getting a much more solid rest to continue the test at 100 yards. It looks like the cast boolit bug has bitten me hard!

I look forward to my next project of loading cast in my 6.5mm x 55 Swede that several forum members have given me advice and oversized boolits for. What a great bunch of folks there are here!

The alloy I used is WW with about 20% linotype (tests 12-14 BHN) sized to .310", Lars BAC boolit lube, Winchester once fired cases, Magtech large rifle primmers, and Unique powder. The boolit is seated and crimped in the provided crimp groove.

Bass Ackward
11-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Needless to say I was smiling big and now will be getting a much more solid rest to continue the test at 100 yards.

And everyone is smiling reading of your success. The fun is just startin. But don't limit yourself to just one mold either. :grin: