PDA

View Full Version : Finally came in from the cold

Crank
11-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Greetings,
I am guilty of being a lurker, since I am not set up to cast. I always wind up here when I am searching for something and I finally decided to sign up. I will hopefully be a productive member of society here, but I sometimes drift away and don't keep up with the forum. I have been gunsmithing for a couple of decades and love to work on wierd stuff, this often leads to feeding some rather obscure calibers.

Mark

dbosman
11-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Welcome.
How you have fed some of the rather obscure calibers would be of interest to many of us.

Crank
11-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Most of the time, the brass is the headache; .32WSL, .35WSL, .351WSL, .401WSL, .219 Wasp, etc... Usually I am able to use jacketed or have a friend of mine cast for me. My .35 and .351 both needed a 180gr, so I bought the mould and he cast them up, same for the .401. Altering brass is a fun challenge.

Mark

BruceB
11-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Crank, amigo, Another warm welcome to you.

We have a rather "assorted" group here (hey, with 32,000 of us, how could we NOT be "assorted"?) but that just adds to the entertainment.

Be very careful if you decide to start casting.... it is habit-forming, to say the least.

Glad you decided to sign up. We need all the good folks we can get.

waco
11-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Welcome aboard!!!

Garyshome
11-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Glad to have you with us.

Crank
11-15-2013, 06:34 PM
I was just reading the article on making a rifle in .25 ACP and I will look forward to adding to that thread when I get off my rear end and fit the barrel to my altered 1903 Winchester. I started that project a year ago and then waitng 4 months for Lothar Walther to make my barrel blank. I have already converted to center-fire and it feeds well with no barrel on it. I turned the contour on the barrel and then just completely forgot to finish working on it. I will warn everyone that I have the firearms version of ADHD and bounce from project to project (eventually get things mostly finished, sort of). This is my curse:veryconfu

Mark

HangFireW8
11-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Welcome aboard, and you're off to a great start, I can't believe you got a great username like "Crank" and not one of the first 32,000 users ahead of you didn't grab it!

MtGun44
11-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Good to have another 'obscure' reloader.

Welcome!

Bill

Le Loup Solitaire
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Many members here load and shoot what is sometimes called "obscure" or outdated calibers so you will be in good company here. So stop lurking and join in. LLS

Shiloh
11-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Welcome.

Myself and many here would LOVE to hear about obscure calibers.

Shiloh

Crank
11-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply to all, I have been sorting and repackaging brass all day and just came in for a break. I tend to be one of those people that zigs when everyone else zags and the mainstream holds little wonder for me. I was talking with a friend of mine last night and I don't own anything in 9mm, .223, .308 or 30-06 to cover some of the "normal" calibers. I will be on travel for my job, so I will hopefully spend some time on the forum while killing time in a hotel room over the next week and a half.

Mark

Bzcraig
11-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Welcome and be sure to share your knowledge with us.

Crank
11-17-2013, 12:54 AM
At last! I found a striking photo of myself for my avatar. For those who think that my username is unique, one must remember that in days gone by gunsmiths were known as "gun-cranks", and I definitely fit the Webster's dictionary definition of crank ": an annoyingly eccentric person; also : one who is overly enthusiastic about a particular subject or activity". I am blessed to have the best job in the world, by day I keep the cannons of the U.S. Navy working and by night, I have my garage set up with a 9 foot long 3000lb Graziano lathe, a Bridgeport mill along with a TIG welder to perform varieties of evil revivification upon deceased firearms:twisted:. My friends all shake their heads when they see some of the road-kill that I bring home, because anyone in their right mind would use most of them as fence posts. I am a horribly slow typist, so my posts will typically be shorter, so bear with me for replies.

Mark

wistlepig1
11-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Welcome, there are many here that can give you a helping hand when you run into something that you have not seen before.

Piedmont
11-17-2013, 03:00 AM
You look a lot like Rasputin.