PDA

View Full Version : Danged wet year, bad for casting

MikeSSS
11-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Earlier in the year it was very wet for here in San Antonio. Didn't do any shooting this summer, but started again a week ago.

There is so much vegitation on the berms that I can't mine range lead. (OK, I'm afraid of the chiggers.) We had several dry years before this one and it was easy to mine the berms. Not now.

The boolits still cast fine but some of my lead is now guarded by villanous little red bugs and besides you can't even see the berm let alone spent boolits just laying there. Now, where did I leave that darned flame thrower?

Anybody else having the same problem?

mtgrs737
11-14-2007, 02:51 AM
Chiggers? Just spray a little insect repellant on your shoes, socks, and pants and get out there and get that LEAD before someone beats you to it!

My dad used to get powdered sulfer at the pharmacy and he would take a small handful and sprinkle it in the tops of his socks when he went fishing to keep the chiggers away. It always seemed to work for him.

Rick N Bama
11-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I wish we had your problem here in N. Alabama! I registered .48" of rain yesterday afternoon & that's the most I've seen in my gauge since, well I can't remember when.

Rick

jawjaboy
11-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I hear ya Rick. Y'all suffering up there. We're not far from getting that way down here though.

Pray for rain.

crabo
11-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Mike, what method are you using when you mine for lead? I have been thinking about it myself. I have put a lot of lead in one area over the years.

Three44s
11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
My problem is that I can't squeeze much if any time into shooting much less accumulate enough slugs to justify mining.

The upside is that part of my business revolves around a barn project for my Wife and I ...... when its done ...... in one corner of one section ....... my own reloading shop!

Life is good if you have patientence!

Three 44s

Trez Hensley
11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I here you on the wettttttttt weather. Up here in north western Oregon this time of year it is more of a novelty to have a sunny day or even an overcast one without rain. Maybe one or two non-rainy days a week if your lucky. We've had stretches of up to 2 weeks without a sunny day. If I didn't love green (plants and trees love this weather), it might get to me.

It doesn't rain hard though. In Kansas growing up, well that's another story. It rained very hard at times. Can you say FLASH FLOODS.

We do have the consolation of not having many bugs up here. I thought it very odd when I first came up here. There are bugs, but seldom do you see many at one time. Kinda like that.

MikeSSS if you get desperate for lead, let me know. I can send you a care package.:-D Wouldn't want you to go hungry!

[smilie=1:This is America after all, where lead is allowed to flow freely.[smilie=1:

mooman76
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Rain?

exblaster
11-14-2007, 01:01 PM
The most important of all the reasons I moved to the Grate North Wet is to stay chigger and seed tick free. As for mining lead just wait till a hared frost and duck tape your ankles. Then go to H.E.B. an get two jars of Chigger-X and a bottle of clear nail polish. Use the nail polish first then scratch off the scab and apply a goodly amount of chigger-X.
Exblaster

pumpguy
11-14-2007, 07:47 PM
If you shoot enough, you will mow the vegetation down.[smilie=1: