PDA

View Full Version : Lee DC TL452-200SWC drops at .447

duhbob
11-14-2013, 12:06 AM
My Lee (Skew 90463) 2 cav. mold has been idle in the box for 3 years. I don't remember having any issues 3 yrs. ago (I stopped casting the SWC because my gun didnt feed right) Now is consistently dropping shrunken .447 specimens using either WW or range lead.
I just got into Piglet's (Harbor Freight) Powder Coating method and tried the tumble-lube bullet style for starters. I was shocked to find that even though adding .002 in dia. the push-through Lee sizer barely touched all the lube bands, and it sizes at .452.

trixter
11-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Thats incredible, I really don't have any response but shoot em, looks like they are just right.

mdi
11-16-2013, 01:29 PM
I have found that a mold on the hot side, and alloy on the cool side will produce bullets closer to cavity size. A hotter alloy fills the cavity, as it cools, it will shrink more than a colder alloy. For a mold that throws "smaller" bullets I can get .001" to .002" more in diameter with an alloy just a bit over "liquid"...

duhbob
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I have found that a mold on the hot side, and alloy on the cool side will produce bullets closer to cavity size. A hotter alloy fills the cavity, as it cools, it will shrink more than a colder alloy. For a mold that throws "smaller" bullets I can get .001" to .002" more in diameter with an alloy just a bit over "liquid"...Thanks mdi.
I use my thermometer most of the time, so I'm pretty sure my shrunken bullets were poured at 650*F. I'm gonna try some at 575-600*F degrees and see if that will fatten them up.
JUST for the record, my new LEE .401 mold drops perfectly at .401with the same alloy/temp as the shrunken 45's. go figure

Larry Gibson
11-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Add 2% tin to both alloys. Cast at 725+/- degrees. Make sure mould is preheated. Get alloy into mould quickly and leave a generous sprue. But 1st, make sure mould is clean and not oily or have a layer of oxidation in the cavities.

Larry Gibson

duhbob
11-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Thats incredible, I really don't have any response but shoot em, looks like they are just right.

Thanks trixter
I did just that. I shot them in a USPSA match Sunday.............they tumbled. Even from 12-15 feet my hits weren't round or wad cutter-like, they were square or oblong all day.
BTW my new 6 cavity LEE mold is on order from Midsouth (in stock), $36.85 plus shipping(priority mail). I believe the old mold is jus' defective. It is only a 2 cavity anyway. Too much work.

duhbob
11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I have my roll of no-lead solder on the table right next to the pot. How many inches would probably make 2%. Im prolly gonna add a 5 inch strip to my existing full pot (20# LEE). Enough?

Foto Joe
11-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna try some at 575-600*F degrees and see if that will fatten them up.

I usually cast at around 650 degrees with good luck but if memory serves me lead melts at around 610-625 so trying it at 575-600 probably won't go too well.

duhbob
11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Add 2% tin to both alloys. Cast at 725+/- degrees. Make sure mould is preheated. Get alloy into mould quickly and leave a generous sprue. But 1st, make sure mould is clean and not oily or have a layer of oxidation in the cavities.

Larry Gibson

prs
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
A lee 20# pot holds about 17# or so in total of mostly lead type alloy, but hardly any of us wait for the pot to empty. If your ingots are of known weight, draw the pot down enough to add X amount of alloy and X/50 tin. Next time you render scarp into ingots, add your tin before casting the ingots. There should be 16 1 ounce does of tin in your full roll of lead free solder if you overlook the other trace elements.

prs

Larry Gibson
11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
From the looks of that mould some oxidation has set in. I'd scrub it well with very hot water with Dawn dish soap in it, let dry and then scrub with brake/carburetor cleaner. Relube the pins and cast again. Cast at 725+/- as earlier suggest after adding the 2% tin. If you have 10 lbs of alloy ing the pot add 3.2 oz of tin or 6.4 oz of your 50/50 solder. For 15 lbs of alloy in the pot add 9.6 oz of the solder.

If you had no issues with that mould 3 years ago then it's not the mould that is defective. Something has changed; the alloy, the oxidation on the mould, the temp you are casting at, etc or a combination of them. A good cleaning of the mould, adding tin to the alloy and casting at the right alloy temp will probably correct the problem.

Larry Gibson

duhbob
11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
From the looks of that mould some oxidation has set in. I'd scrub it well with very hot water with Dawn dish soap in it, let dry and then scrub with brake/carburetor cleaner. Relube the pins and cast again. Cast at 725+/- as earlier suggest after adding the 2% tin. If you have 10 lbs of alloy ing the pot add 3.2 oz of tin or 6.4 oz of your 50/50 solder. For 15 lbs of alloy in the pot add 9.6 oz of the solder.

If you had no issues with that mould 3 years ago then it's not the mould that is defective. Something has changed; the alloy, the oxidation on the mould, the temp you are casting at, etc or a combination of them. A good cleaning of the mould, adding tin to the alloy and casting at the right alloy temp will probably correct the problem.

Larry GibsonThanks again Larry.
Our 80% + humidity is the constant in So. Louisiana.
I'm sure the dampness has had it's effects on raw aluminum. I just didn't know to store the mold filled with alloy 3 years ago[smilie=b:. This forum has been my reference and I have learned a ton along the way. I will follow-up with results, soon.

duhbob
11-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I tried EVERYTHING as prescribed per Larry Gibson and others and still dropped .049 pills.
As for this too-skinny mold ..........next step: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?117331-Mould-Enlargement-%93beagling%94 "beagling"! I found this posted under Stickies & Classics.
My new (same profile 6 cav.mold will be here Wed. 20th.) ordered Saturday Nov. 16th from Midsouth, can't hardly wait.

paul h
11-19-2013, 01:37 PM
My 6 cavity 200gr tl swc lee casts on the large size, I don't recall the measurement offhand but you definately have to exert some force when seating bullets. Hopefully your 6 cavity is sized similar.

Normally I'd advise lapping out an undersize mold, but the 6 cavity lee is the better solution, especially if it drops the correct size bullets.

harvester
11-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Are you measuring with the same tools?

duhbob
11-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Are you measuring with the same tools?
Yeah.
I have a mechanical and a digital caliper; I use both to keep 'em both honest (and Me).
The thing about the shrinking mold is that it didn't occur to me 3 years ago to measure the bullet dia. then. The problem I had, back then, was: stovepipes, jamming while stripping and feeding, and tumbling/keyholing issues. I blamed the gun for "not liking SWC's". :xI Now am sure those reloads were under powered. (in retrospect)
A chronograph would have shed some light on the problem.

duhbob
11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
My 6 cavity 200gr tl swc lee casts on the large size, I don't recall the measurement offhand but you definately have to exert some force when seating bullets. Hopefully your 6 cavity is sized similar.

Normally I'd advise lapping out an undersize mold, but the 6 cavity lee is the better solution, especially if it drops the correct size bullets.
Exerting pressure through my LEE single stage push-through sizer is a non-event at this point.
Even though I added .002 in powdercoat, most of the bullets, 80%, give very little resistance...one or two come back down with gravity alone.

fredj338
11-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Probably a mold cut with a dull bit, Lee QC strikes again. For the cost of an old 2cav, toss it, get a new 6cav, maybe you'll get lucky & get a good one.

duhbob
11-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Probably a mold cut with a dull bit, Lee QC strikes again. For the cost of an old 2cav, toss it, get a new 6cav, maybe you'll get lucky & get a good one.
I am litrally watching for the USPS mailman bringing my new 6 cav mold today!
IT'S HERE!:lovebooli

duhbob
11-20-2013, 03:48 PM

My new 6 cav. LEE mold just got tested. The 6 dozen bullets came out @ .451 with few exceptions. I ran it at 550*F then 600*F then 650*F then 700*F. And they ALL came out the same size..... .451 ...... which is fine by me.
Now when I plate them with powder coat they will build to .453 or more, and swage/size to the right .452 specification dia. We shall soon see.