PDA

View Full Version : Picked Up a New Lever Today

ultramag
11-13-2013, 10:44 PM
I've been thinking about loading cast boolits in lever guns quite a bit since I started casting. I've had an old Marlin 336RC in .35 Rem. for years but was also thinking about the old standby 30-30 round. I like the M94 Winchester's, killed my first deer with one in 30-30 over 25 years ago, but had been thinking maybe a 336 was in order to match the .35.

Well, I ran into a M94 today and I just had to have it. I'm always impressed by the knowledge on this board so I thought I'd share a couple pics of my new lever and see what kind of information I might be able to get. It's not just a everyday M94....nothing super special either, but a few things I'm curious about. It, I'm almost certain, has been re-stocked. The butt-stock is a really nicely grained dark piece of wood with a high gloss finish. The fore end piece is a lighter color without as nice of grain but they work ok together. The receiver looks to be case-hardened, but it is very light. At first I thought the blue was just worn from carry in the field or perhaps the barrel and other stuff had been re-blued. The receiver is also engraved, though not super ornate and fancy, and it also has a saddle ring.

The guns action and bore give the impression that it hasn't been shot or used much. The re-stocking seems odd, and out of place when the rest of the gun and it's condition are considered, but I also can't imagine it is a factory job. Serial number puts the gun being manufactured in early to mid 1965. Any ideas as to what I may actually have here and it's worth? I'm not a flipper, it's not for sale, just curious what I got ahold of and what it's value may be. I can provide more pictures or better detail if needed.

Here's a couple pics:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/14/uby4ytu9.jpg

A close-up of the receiver:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/14/uta9esun.jpg

TXGunNut
11-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Very handsome indeed, suspect it's some type of commemorative.

tcbnick
11-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Winchester called that there Antique model. It had a brass plated saddle ring and loading shoot. The case harding is a look, not real, and does wear off. Mine does not have a checkered stock though. I have one and it was my first big boy rifle, bought it back in 74. Been thinking about using it with cast boolits for an upcoming hog hunt. Nice rifle.

ultramag
11-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Winchester called that there Antique model. It had a brass plated saddle ring and loading shoot. The case harding is a look, not real, and does wear off. Mine does not have a checkered stock though. I have one and it was my first big boy rifle, bought it back in 74. Been thinking about using it with cast boolits for an upcoming hog hunt. Nice rifle.

That's it I'd say...thanks tcbnick. I think it took me longer to type out that post than to get an answer. I forgot to mention that the loading gate was different as well.

Opinions on the wood being original? Anybody have an idea about value?

Dryball
11-14-2013, 01:39 AM
The wood looks like a replacement. They either come plain or checkered not one of each. I believe that they should have been checkered...tc can you chime in on this? Either way an nice gun

searcher4851
11-14-2013, 04:01 PM
I've got one, all original, but mine was made in '71 as I recall. They were just regular production guns, made to look a little different than the stock blue production guns. Your butt stock is not original, but probably more expensive than the gun cost new.
If yours is anything like mine, it'll love cast bullets. There is no real collector value to it, so just enjoy it to the max.

ultramag
11-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm gonna hijack my own post a little.

I've done quite a bit of research on this gun so far and the information in the thread is accurate. I know it's not a "special" gun per se, but I just got an interesting offer on it. I think I'd be foolish not to accept it.

I sent a picture of my new find to a friend and ask if he had any 30-30 brass because I have none and can't shoot the thing at the moment. He offered to trade a pre-64 M94 (1963 manufacture) straight across for this gun in this post. He has had the gun about 10 years and it's supposed to be in good shape. I really like this gun, that's why I bought it, but this seems like to good of a deal to pass up.

Trading this M94 for a "real clean" pre-64 is a no brainer trade for me correct?

Tristan
11-14-2013, 06:10 PM
A very nice buttstock on that one!

Myself, it'd be hard to trade that one off.

ultramag
11-14-2013, 06:18 PM
A very nice buttstock on that one!

Myself, it'd be hard to trade that one off.

Thank you, it is for me too.

It kind of feels like I should be making this trade ASAP before he changes his mind on one hand, but I really like this gun I posted about yesterday.

Scharfschuetze
11-14-2013, 10:19 PM
I remember seeing the "Antiques" in the gun shops and in the Winchester catalogs in the late 60s.

While that butstock is probably 4A Walnut and looks to be beautifully checkered, finished and fitted, I think that you'd be wise to trade it for the Pre-64 if it is in reasonable condition.

TXGunNut
11-15-2013, 02:26 AM
I'm a sucker for a nice piece of wood. I'd keep it and find a forend to match or find someone to checker it. How's it shoot?

ultramag
11-15-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm a sucker for a nice piece of wood. I'd keep it and find a forend to match or find someone to checker it. How's it shoot?

Me too, always have been. Unfortunately, I have no idea how it shoots yet. No brass, dies, molds, boolits, etc. that I need to get this project going. Knowing the answer to that question could definitely help decide.

helice
11-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Since this gun has such miss-matched wood I propose that you ship it to me. To heck with that Pre-64. You didn't want that nice a gun anyway - did you?:kidding:

The pre-64s are so smooth and so clean it would be hard to pass up an opportunity like this. I have a 94 angle eject that has no collector value but I like it. I'd trade it for a pre-64 in a heart beat if the opportunity presented. Either way, you can't go wrong.

jlchucker
11-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Yup. This is the "Antique" model that they were making in the late 1960's, into the early 1970's. They also made a "Classic" model that came in rifle and short-rifle lengths, with cast-in "engraving" on the receivers, and which came with Octagon barrels. These models came with what Winchester was calling "semi-fancy" walnut, and the stocks and forearms often didn't exactly match in terms of grain patterns. These were kinda pretty guns-certainly more tastefully done than the "commemoratives" that they were coming out with as fast as they could think up something to commemorate. You've got a keeper there. Enjoy it.

GaCop
11-22-2013, 01:14 PM
A beautiful rifle with fine wood grain! :awesome: