PDA

View Full Version : 9 mm case life

soldierbilly1
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
when are you guys tossing your cases? after how many firings?

Seems as if the 38's and 45's go on forever, like the energizer bunny!

Some time ago, Mr. Runfiverun suggested that tired cases may be contributing to leading.
I am believing there is some truth to that.

thanks for the help
billy boy

ultramag
11-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty new to reloading lead anything and 9mm period, however I expect to loose them before case life becomes a problem by what I've seen so far. I don't track how many times a case has been loaded or separate head stamps for any of my auto brass. Never seen the need.

Dusty Bannister
11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
You will likely find that sorting 9MM by the H/S may be desireable. Especially, with foreign brass from commercial brass. Dusty

MtGun44
11-13-2013, 02:37 PM
When they are cracked, never before.

Bill

Calamity Jake
11-13-2013, 02:41 PM
+1 ^^^^^^^^^^

Bo1
11-13-2013, 02:42 PM
^^^^^^^^ What Bill Said...

Bo

gwpercle
11-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Reload them untill you loose them in the grass , they develop cracks , or if the primer pockets become too enlarged and primers drop out.

You could just shoot them twice and send them to me for proper disposal , I will gladly take care of them for you.
Gary

LynC2
11-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I also seem to loose them before they go bad. Many pistol caliber cases are like the "Energizer Bunny...they just keep going and going and going".

Love Life
11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
What Bill said.

Garyshome
11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
They are so cheap just get about 4000 and by the time you shoot them 5 times =20,000. That should keep you busy for a while

paul h
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
For all my handgun brass my approach is load em til the neck cracks, then toss em. You can extend case life by setting your belling and crimp dies for the minimal amount to prevent lead shaving when seating and to assure reliable functioning.

jcwit
11-13-2013, 04:07 PM
I also agree, What Bill says.

milprileb
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
I also agree, What Bill says.

The World agrees with Bill.

Echo
11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Ditto Bill (ala Ditto Rush)

HATCH
11-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I find that I lose them before they crack.....
Or at least with 9mm its not worth the effort to search for each and every case...

popper
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I just have a problem with them chambering after loading, ~ 30% fail the plunk test. Don't really want to get a LEE FCD for 9. Yea, when the case splits I send them to the recycler.

Shiloh
11-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I have many that have been loaded countless times. Way more than the gun mag writers would suggest. I have WCC bras that is ancient and still being loaded and fired.

Shiloh

HATCH
11-13-2013, 06:39 PM
I just have a problem with them chambering after loading, ~ 30% fail the plunk test. Don't really want to get a LEE FCD for 9. Yea, when the case splits I send them to the recycler.

get a lee carbide FCD. Only way to go.
You could also use the FCD in a single stage press. Just remove the crimp part and just use the carbide ring to base size the brass.

soldierbilly1
11-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Boys:
thanks for the response! I guess I will keep 'em!
unanimous. wow!
billy boy

Blammer
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I usually lose them first.

Harter66
11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
I believe it was best said ''If ya can read the headstamp it's not mine''.

As far as sorting goes WIN/FC isn't a bad pairing but S&B is too hot w/top half of the load window loads for my liking .

fredj338
11-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Load 9mm down they last more than a dozen reloads. Load the 38sp & 45acp to max, they won't last long either.

Freischütz
11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I shoot them until they crack or the primer pockets become loose. By the time the primer pockets get loose the headstamps are completely obliterated, and I have no idea what brand they were.

jonp
11-16-2013, 05:51 PM
What Bill said. Until they "don't look too good".

GabbyM
11-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Year ago I became a firm believer in separating all 9x19mm brass by head stamp. Just a huge variation in case volume, wall thickness and neck tension. All European brass I find in the mix gets tossed into the brass recycle bucket. If I had a large lot of it I’d work up a load and use it. But that’s not going to happen.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-17-2013, 12:02 AM
9mm cases can and often do last through many reloadings, but there is something to watch out for....the brass in the vicinity of the mouth/necks usually start to lose their/the spring due to repeated sizings and crimpings (taper) and this sets up a condition where the grip on the bullet may/can be significantly less than what it should be. This then allows the bullet to move when it is fed and the seating depth becomes less....even if it is only a small amount. The reduced space can change the loading density and can increase the pressure dramatically....not a good thing! Can result in battering the gun. Keep track of how many times the cases are reloaded, and anneal periodically. LLS

soldierbilly1
11-17-2013, 08:18 AM
9mm cases can and often do last through many reloadings, but there is something to watch out for....the brass in the vicinity of the mouth/necks usually start to lose their/the spring due to repeated sizings and crimpings (taper) and this sets up a condition where the grip on the bullet may/can be significantly less than what it should be. This then allows the bullet to move when it is fed and the seating depth becomes less....even if it is only a small amount. The reduced space can change the loading density and can increase the pressure dramatically....not a good thing! Can result in battering the gun. Keep track of how many times the cases are reloaded, and anneal periodically. LLS
many, many variables here. I will shoot them about 12 times and then dump them. I like your theory, sounds reasonable. My French is rusty ... Lone Wolf?????
billy boy

soldierbilly1
11-17-2013, 08:25 AM
I believe it was best said ''If ya can read the headstamp it's not mine''.

As far as sorting goes WIN/FC isn't a bad pairing but S&B is too hot w/top half of the load window loads for my liking .
Is S and B the same as Herter's? I find the loads are somewhat warmer with these cases, possibly less volume, dunno. No end to testing. Unfortunately, more testing than shooting.
billy boy

Prospector Howard
11-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Besides having to toss cases from splits, gwpercle and Freischutz made a good point about the primer pockets. I get alot of 9mm cases that have to be culled because the primer pockets get loose. It's probably because the working pressure is pretty high for a small pistol round. I also shoot alot of .38, and don't have that problem hardly at all with that round. It's something to watch out for when your priming your cases.

sirgknight
11-17-2013, 10:47 AM
It has been my experience that any straight-walled casing will last an indefinite number of reloadings, depending on how HOT you load them. Heat and pressure produces the stress on the casings, and especially pressure. The more heat and pressure the more stress. If, like me, you do not count how many times you reload your straight casings, then you will need to carefully inspect for cracks or splits or other signs of that stress. I also do not trim any of my straight-walled casings; just never saw the need for it for my type of shooting. Personally, I have never thrown a casing away due to a bad primer pocket, but I have thrown away many casings due to cracks, split, etc.

tygar
11-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Hell, I hate 9s, 380s, & even 40s. I loose them long before they wear out.

Hanzy4200
11-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm no major expert, but my pile of 9mm brass has been loaded AT LEAST 12 times, and looks like new. I even started my reloading with this brass and abused it badly. Overstretched the cases mouths, extreme overcrimping, ect.

khmer6
11-17-2013, 07:53 PM
I expect to lose them before they crack, but some do prematurely. I ended up getting rid of over 10k 9mm cases earlier this year. Had way to many than I could ever use. And I use to shoot a lot

Harter66
11-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't know about the Seller & Belliot /Herters relationship.

I have a few Win that are nearly blanked out. I don't load mine real hot either. I probably have 20 cycles on some of mine. I have some 40s that are about 10x also. They're loaded full tilt ,but the long leade in the XD seems like it drops pressures somewhat I guess.