PDA

View Full Version : old scope question

300savage
11-12-2013, 10:24 PM
a friend just dropped an old scope off to see if i can use it, and if so to just pay him what i think its worth.its a kollmorgan bear cub 6x , outside has some ring marks, a few other little use marks which dont bother me as i buy things to use anyway.
overall its in good shape and the glass is extremely clear with no scratches or fogging whatsoever.
couple questions though, first what might be a fair price and is it possible to still find rings for the odd tube size? he said he should have the old rings somewhere but in case he doesnt i cant use it if i cant mount it.
thanks guys.

texassako
11-12-2013, 10:44 PM
I have a 4x Kollmorgen with an odd peep sight like reticle I use on a rifle with a special 26mm ring system. Yours is probably the same 26mm tube, and rings are pretty easy to find since redfield eventually ended up owning the design. I am not sure of the value.

Alan in Vermont
11-12-2013, 11:32 PM
FYI, some, maybe all, Kollmorgen scopes had the windage adjustment turret on the left side of the tube. I mounted one, at the shop I used to work at, without even looking at the scope. Turrets on the top and the right. I wasn't there when the customer brought the gun back because he could not get it sighted in. He adjusted the scope by the markings on the turrets and it wasn't working so pretty good. :(

texassako
11-12-2013, 11:49 PM
FYI, some, maybe all, Kollmorgen scopes had the windage adjustment turret on the left side of the tube. I mounted one, at the shop I used to work at, without even looking at the scope. Turrets on the top and the right. I wasn't there when the customer brought the gun back because he could not get it sighted in. He adjusted the scope by the markings on the turrets and it wasn't working so pretty good. :(

I had never heard that. Mine is the typical set up, and the top turret dial says UP and the right side turret dial has an R. I have never seen a backwards Redfield one either after they bought the Bear Cub scope line. I have seen them rotated over to keep the windage turret out of the way of some rifles' ejection path, but that has been several different brands.