PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs/hornady dies question

Lon246
11-11-2013, 09:24 PM
My new Hornady '06 dies have an elliptical ball expander to expand the resized neck to a fixed dimension.
My old RCBS dies do not expand the neck after resizing. (They just squeeze the whole case down some and punch out the primer).Question is: Am I missing an expander ball on the RCBS dies? Can't tell from internet research.
Thanks, Lon

Guardian
11-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Is the RCBS a neck sizing die?

Lon246
11-12-2013, 01:09 AM
No. Both makes are full length resizing dies.

TNsailorman
11-12-2013, 01:23 AM
I never saw a rifle die from RCBS that didn't have an expander ball on the decapping rod. Sounds to me like you are missing the expander ball from your die. Did you buy these dies new or used? james

Lon246
11-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Sorry, I'm 74 and have had them so long I don't remember.
The RCBS decapping rod does have a cylinder shaped knurled "expander ball" on it but it measures about 0.26".
The odd thing is the Hornady die gives me a smaller inside neck than the RCBS die without the expander.
Probably time I turned the old RCBS dies into Pacific NW sturgeon slip sinkers.
Thanks Guys

Lead Fred
11-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Dont throw out the baby with the bath water

A new center piece from RCBS is like $15

cheese1566
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Center rod may have been swapped out for some reason or another years past.
Call RCBS and I bet they send one for free.

Wayne Smith
11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Center rod may have been swapped out for some reason or another years past.
Call RCBS and I bet they send one for free.

Exactly. They stand by their guarantee. Give them a call and they will refuse money.

357Ruger
11-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Sorry, I'm 74 and have had them so long I don't remember.
The RCBS decapping rod does have a cylinder shaped knurled "expander ball" on it but it measures about 0.26".
The odd thing is the Hornady die gives me a smaller inside neck than the RCBS die without the expander.
Probably time I turned the old RCBS dies into Pacific NW sturgeon slip sinkers.
Thanks Guys

If it is working fine I would use the RCBS die without the expander. Expanders stretch the neck and do nothing good for your loads if you are looking for accuracy. That is why the benchrest crowd likes to use bushings in their full size and neck size dies. They never pull an expander through the neck to mess it up. Lubing the expander helps minimize the effects but nothing beats not having to use an expander at all.