PDA

View Full Version : Diving Weights

JohnH
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
A neighbor gave me 40 pounds of diving weights. Some are Circle brand, others no name. They test from 7 BHN to 22 BHN Was hoping for simple lead, no dice, but satisfied with what I got. Anyone out there ever deal with diving weights? What's you're experience with them been?

shotstring
11-13-2007, 02:28 AM
I have dealt with several different types, and they all work well. They all took me right to the bottom. :-D

Trez Hensley
11-13-2007, 03:21 AM
That joke really sinks. :roll::roll::roll:

jawjaboy
11-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I have some that "thud" when dropped on concrete, and some that ring like a bell.

44man
11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Keep the weights separate when you melt them down and try to cast with each first. I believe one of those weights is what contaminated some of my pure lead with zinc. Once you find it is OK, then you can mix any way you like.
They are made from all kinds of scrap, anything that melts.

Three44s
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Damned (Yankees) Zinc anyway!

Three 44s

shotstring
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm with AmmoMan on this one. Don't trust anything if it is going into a qty melt. The only ones I am sure about are like the ones I have now waiting to be melted down. They are definitely pure lead as the color is that dull "no sheen" that you usually see only on pure old lead scrap but most important, with those, you can literally carve the lead with your fingernail - best test for pure soft lead. If I can't carve it with my fingernail, it could be hardened with almost anything. These particular dive weights are of the "no name" variety.

MGySgt
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I melted some down a number of years ago and had a visit from the tinsel fairy. When they were used to dive they were under pressure from the dept of the water they were in and I did not put them in an empty pot and let them melt slowly - just dumped a few in the stuff I was melting down - well at least one had a void that water was in - Instant Tinsel Fairy!

Be careful!

Drew

JohnH
11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I melted some down a number of years ago and had a visit from the tinsel fairy. When they were used to dive they were under pressure from the dept of the water they were in and I did not put them in an empty pot and let them melt slowly - just dumped a few in the stuff I was melting down - well at least one had a void that water was in - Instant Tinsel Fairy!

Be careful!

Drew

Hmmmmmmmmm...................

Thanks for bringing that up, I hadn't even considered that possibility.

S.R.Custom
11-13-2007, 09:58 PM
A few hours in the oven at 300° will cure that.

jonk
11-14-2007, 10:11 AM
A buddy gave me some diving SHOT, about #2 size. It was slow to melt and the bullets weren't so great. I used them as plinkers. Dunno what it was but it wasn't zinc as the moulds filled out, just not good stuff.