PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

Jevyod
11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
I know this might be a silly question but bear with me! I was thinking of getting a Lee sizing die to size my 35 Rem boolits. Does this allow me to install gas checks as well, or do I need something else for that? I am not really interested in buying a lubing/sizing machine since I will be using PC as a lube.

youngda9
11-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes it does. It works great. There are videos on youtube that will show you the process.

Jevyod
11-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks! Appreciate it!

blikseme300
11-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Let us know how PC works in your rifle as there is little about using this combination. The Lee push through sizing dies work very well seating and crimping GC's. I use the Lee to prepare rifle boolits prior to lubing in a Star. I do lube the boolits using a light spray of alcohol & lanolin mix prior to pushing them through the Lee sizing die as this makes the job easier.

44man
11-12-2013, 08:18 AM
If the boolit has a flat nose, I run them through the Lee upside down, keeps the checks from pulling back.

ubetcha
11-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Let us know how PC works in your rifle as there is little about using this combination. The Lee push through sizing dies work very well seating and crimping GC's. I use the Lee to prepare rifle boolits prior to lubing in a Star. I do lube the boolits using a light spray of alcohol & lanolin mix prior to pushing them through the Lee sizing die as this makes the job easier.

What ratio do you mix your alcohol and lanolin and do you use a spray bottle. I would like to try this on my Lee's. Also ,in what form do you get your lanolin in? I think I have some in the nipple cream form somewhere. Will that thin out and dissolve in the alcohol?

blikseme300
11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
What ratio do you mix your alcohol and lanolin and do you use a spray bottle. I would like to try this on my Lee's. Also ,in what form do you get your lanolin in? I think I have some in the nipple cream form somewhere. Will that thin out and dissolve in the alcohol?

I got my Lanolin from Amazon.com Search for "Now Foods Liquid Lanolin" and look for the white labeled 4oz bottle. I typically use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol found at CVS or Wallgreens and use a recycled Febreeze spray bottle to mix and apply. I use about 1 table spoon of Lanolin to 1 bottle of alky. Yes, the Lanolin will settle out a bit but a quick shake before spraying fixes that. (Some folks use HEET found at auto parts stores as this contains no water.) I use this mix for bulk case lubing prior to sizing rifle brass through boolit lubing prior to gas seating and even when sizing longer pistol cases. The inexpensiveness compared to commercial case lube allows for buying more other reloading components.

Jevyod
11-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Another question, What do I size them at? I was going to get a .359 but could only find a .358. Will that be ok? Am hoping to use RCBS 35-200-FN.

Wayne Smith
11-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Another question, What do I size them at? I was going to get a .359 but could only find a .358. Will that be ok? Am hoping to use RCBS 35-200-FN.

Only a slug of your barrel will adequately answer that question. Use soft lead and measure with a micrometer.