PDA

View Full Version : Lyman HP mold

soldierbilly1
11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I just ordered a Lyman 356637 single cavity HP mold. I feel the need for an HP for my 9 mm.

Good points for this mold? bad points? Must I order the 637 top punch or can I substitute with another punch? any experience with this bad boy out there? thanks for your help.
billy boy

bhn22
11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
If you're using a Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer, the big bevel base will (ahem) be a challenge. It will want to fill up with lube when you cycle it. You might start thinking of a good way around this situation.

Tatume
11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Just a thought, and I have't tried it, but I wonder if placing a gas check on the bevel base would prevent the lube from being administered. Of course, it would only be practical if the gas check can be reused over and over again.

soldierbilly1
11-11-2013, 01:09 PM
thanks for the heads up. I think guys cut a piece of foam and put it under the base.
We will see how she goes.
billy thanks

btw, I won't be making a gazillion of these. I own a Lyman and I am very familiar with the wiping procedure!

Wayne Smith
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I just sized a bunch of lee 40 cal BB boolits. Cut a small piece of a styrofoam cup and put it over the die, drop your first boolit on it and size away. One piece has lasted for about 200 rds so far.

Shuz
11-12-2013, 10:38 AM
A flat rod of aluminum or steel of .250 diameter that fits into your sizer top punch hole will work just fine, provided the edge of your HP boolit isn't too thin. No need to have a top punch for every boolit style. I have found that many of the top punches, like the Lyman 303 are kinda "universal" and will work with many styles of .44 boolits.

soldierbilly1
11-12-2013, 07:43 PM
thanks for the help

billy boy

soldierbilly1
11-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, I got the mold and she runs as advertised. Only one problem, the mold is not throwing at 125 gr, but more like 134 gr! what the he** happened to Lyman Quality Control? the same melt is running 124 gr on my 120 gr Lee mold.
This is high. what can I do to lower the weight thrown?

Wayne Smith
11-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Increase tin and antimony. They are lighter than lead. What alloy are you running? Lyman measures their molds on the basis of their #2 alloy, I think.

bhn22
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
It's not a real big deal anyway, just use loading data for a heavier bullet. That particular design almost always seems to run a bit on the heavy side. The diameter is the important part. Waynes right, Lyman proofs this one with #2. If you want expansion, I'd suggest bumping the tin, but pass on adding antimony unless you're casting with pure lead right now.

soldierbilly1
11-17-2013, 08:10 AM
It's not a real big deal anyway, just use loading data for a heavier bullet. That particular design almost always seems to run a bit on the heavy side. The diameter is the important part. Waynes right, Lyman proofs this one with #2. If you want expansion, I'd suggest bumping the tin, but pass on adding antimony unless you're casting with pure lead right now.
Wayne and BHN: thanks, pretty much what I was thinking. I am using 50/50 WW and range scrap. WQ'ed, the hardness is running about 20. I prolly need some more tin in there. I size to 357 and the boolits are sizing down, so they are fat enough! It is a quality mold, however slow as hell to run, but no break-in was needed. I am happy. Now to go to the range to chrony and blow up some water jugs! thanks
bill boy

bhn22
11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't expect any expansion at 20. It may fragment, but that's about it. You really want HP bullets to stay around 10 bhn, depending on impact velocity.

GLL
11-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Forget the "WQ'ed" !

Jerry

cbrick
11-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I am using 50/50 WW and range scrap. WQ'ed, the hardness is running about 20. I prolly need some more tin in there. bill boy

Quenching a HP? Very detrimental to the goals and purpose of a HP boolit.

Up to 2% added Sn is a good thing just keep the pot temp well under 750 when using Sn.

Rick

soldierbilly1
11-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Forget the "WQ'ed" !

Jerry

Quenching a HP? Very detrimental to the goals and purpose of a HP boolit.

Up to 2% added Sn is a good thing just keep the pot temp well under 750 when using Sn.

Rick
Of course. I have since read some of the prior posts on HP's.
No more Q'ing! I'll just add more Sn. thanks
billy boy