PDA

View Full Version : C'mon In Lurkers.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

45nut
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Just sitting outside the door isn't quite as helpful as joining in and getting the answers to your questions directly.

We are just a few under four thousand registered members now and I, for one would sure like to see 4k by the end of this week.
Join in and register your interest in the craft and the science as well as the voodoo science of CB's. :castmine:

DeanoBeanCounter
11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes! You've heard that misery loves company? Well so does happiness. I dare any of you to catch this illness. :twisted:
Deano :Fire:

STP
11-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Yesireee....

So many boolit choices, diameters, alloys, throat/bore diameters, barrel lengths, twist rates, etc, etc.

That old hangun or rifle or smokepole or shotgun never had it so good!

And to boot, there`s a bunch of interesting and helpful people here.

Dale53
11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
45Nut;
I really don't know what you are talking about. I have been a member for nearly two years and it has had very little effect on me[smilie=1: (I mean, unless you consider over 2000 posts and I have taken delivery of THREE group buy moulds and have recently ordered a 4th from Ranch Dog). Plus I have hit this site about three times a day for two years. I have made friends here who are nearly without number and in spite of being a shooting competitor for over fifty years and casting longer, I have learned a great deal (the day you stop learning is the day you should lay down and die:drinks:).

All in all, there has been almost NO negatives and the positives are almost uncountable.

So, what's to celebrate when you sign up here? JUST NEAR EVERYTHING!!:drinks:

My thanks to all of you,
Dale53

Buckshot
11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
...............I ya ain't growing you're dying, and the growth has been pretty steady. Sometimes getting bigger may cause a loss of some desireable aspects, but I haven't seen anything like that. Speaks volumns about the membership.

Too bad we couldn't ALL get together. Then they could bury Woodstock and forget about it. I wish we could form our own state :-) Our motto could be E Pourous Plumbous Infinatus. Have to think of a good name for it, and then a state crest. Possibly a crest could be a stand of 3 rifles, say a Rolling Block, a Trapdoor and a Sharps. All surmounting a turkey fryer. Then a banner underneath stating "Imperius Regis, 45-70, sic pacem" wrapping around a couple boolt moulds?

As did Augustus McCrea, I have only a passing resemblance to latin, HA!

................Buckshot

testhop
11-12-2007, 09:16 PM
yes come in the water is fine why do you want to be a vistor when you could be a member what do you have to lose ITS FREEand each and every member is willing to gab if you need to gab help you at any timeyou need help i thought i knew a lot when i join but i was just a
3 grader in class with collage grads so i ask questions lesten and i am getting smarter now
when i ask a dumb question NO ONE MADE FUN OF ME (thanks guys)

beagle
11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Amen.... Come on in. You might find a good trade for something or a good shooting partner. I've met some darn nice folks on here and met many of the local KY fellers face to face. Like having a good warm stove to sit around in the winter time at the local country store and tell lies./beagle

Three44s
11-13-2007, 01:25 AM
I am pretty new here ............... Where's the coffee and donuts????? LOL!

Thanks for a fine board with ever finer members!

Three 44s

Shiloh
11-13-2007, 02:18 AM
I am pretty new here ............... Where's the coffee and donuts????? LOL!

Thanks for a fine board with ever finer members!

Three 44s

I think Buckshots buyin when we meet at Yasgur's Farm in Woodstock.

Shiloh :castmine:

DeanoBeanCounter
11-13-2007, 02:20 AM
:confused: Ummmmmmm......... Hay Testhop..........What IS a dumb question anyway?
Deano [smilie=1:

Saint
11-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Amen to that.....I just discovered this site less than a month ago and my knowledge on the subject has doubled twice, tripled three times, and quadrupled 4 more. This is the best casting sight on the net.

testhop
11-13-2007, 08:37 AM
hey deano iguess it is one that every one knows and you should too lol
so see i still need guidence

Woodwrkr
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi all!

I've been lurkin for awhile now, learned a lot and am about to jump in and begin castin' my own sometime soon. Bought an outdoor propane cooker with a 105,000 btu jet burner from lalagniappe last week, Saturday I found a cast iron cook pot with lid at a local "Sanford and Son" sort of place and my copy of Lyman's cast bullet manual should arrive today.

Don't have any molds just yet, gonna order one soon, bank account permitting. That bank account is my primary reason for getting started casting my own but it also sounds like fun. For the price of a couple thousand store bought bullets I can cast my own indefinitly, and a friend of mine owns a mom and pop gas station and will let me have his WW for a song and dance, and I ain't sayin where his gas station is!

Now that I'm getting close to starting casting I'm gonna have lots of questions for y'all.

Y'all have a great forum here. Keep up the good work.

Dale53
11-13-2007, 10:59 AM
The very fact that one of the first things you have done is purchase a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullt Manual tells me that you are going to do well in the field of bullet casting and shooting.

Read the book, then read it again and keep it close to hand for reference. Then when you come here with a question, you will have MUCH more understanding than most.

Congratulations on your wise choices and continued success.
Dale53

Three44s
11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Did I mention that those donuts are KRISPY CREMES??????

Three 44s

Blackhawk Convertable
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Well I joined last week and will be casting for the first time. I've done a lot of solder fountain work when I worked at an electronic card manufacturing plant. But, this will be the first time with molds. Got one of the 44 Slim molds on its way along with 20+ # of lead in the garage. When I get the pot, the handles and the rest of the tools, you might be sorry you let me join. Questions will abound.....

dromia
11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
To any shy retiring Europeans out there I can confirm that although it is populated by mainly colonial types they are quiet civilised at times and it wouldn't take much to have them house trained.

:kidding:

So come on in. :drinks:

The drams are on Buckshot.

jawjaboy
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
and a friend of mine owns a mom and pop gas station and will let me have his WW for a song and dance, and I ain't sayin where his gas station is!

Awww heck, come on now! We would tell you! :wink:

Welcome!

mtnman31
11-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Am I a lurker? I registered in May 07 and had been reading posts for a few months prior to that. I have only a few posts but read all the newest posts daily. I still consider myself new to casting and don't yet have too much advice to give. Up to now, I haven't had to ask too many questions due to the outstanding amount of information already on the site. Sometimes a search is involved for my questions - which usually leads to me opening up a dozen other unrelated threads that catch my eye. Even though I spend an hour getting the answer to my question, I find answers to a dozen other questions that I never knew I even had.

To the moderators and all you members, thanks for running and being a part of such a fantastic site. :drinks:

mtgrs737
11-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Hey guys it looks like Woodwrkr don't trust us none!

GOOD FOR HIM!

Welcome to the forum Woodwrkr!

Enjoy your stay!

9.3X62AL
11-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Yeah, we don't bite--and even if we did, we've had all our shots.

buckndee
11-14-2007, 02:55 AM
Double ditto to what mtnman31 said. My biggest problem is, HOW TO KEEP TRACK of the threads of interest I read to fallow up on others input, sooooow much great information.

Shiloh
11-14-2007, 03:28 AM
... you might be sorry you let me join. Questions will abound.....

Answers from the members here at Cast Boolits have been very forthcoming and supportive of the questions being asked. There are a lot of VERY knowledgeable
folks here who don't mind at all sharing there experience and knowledge.

I often wonder what the combined years of casting and shooting cast boolits experience here really is.

Shiloh :castmine:

waksupi
11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Easiest way to browse the board, and catch everything. Click on the "Today" towards the top of the page. On each visit, there will be a marker set to show you how far you have read previously.

Woodwrkr
11-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey guys it looks like Woodwrkr don't trust us none!

GOOD FOR HIM!

Welcome to the forum Woodwrkr!

Enjoy your stay!

Now, Now. Don't get the wrong idea. I trust y'all! Well... maybe I'll trust you boys with anything except my woman and my WW!:)

Y'all keep up the good work.

Woodwrkr

buckndee
11-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the tip on browsing the treads waksupi

abcollector
11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Alright... ya'll roped me into it, so I had to join.
Been reading for a while but just hadn't joined. Great forum and a ton of knowledge. Can't wait to get into casting myself. Well okay, not casting MYSELF but bullets or as there know around here, boolits.

Back to reading....

HollandNut
11-15-2007, 12:14 AM
hi ab I no u .. :mrgreen:

I'm sending you the 375's tomorrow :drinks:

Saint
11-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Welcome out of the shadows and to the best bullet casting resource in the world. Lets keep them coming we are only 13 short of that 4,000 mark.

trooperdan
11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Now, Now. Don't get the wrong idea. I trust y'all! Well... maybe I'll trust you boys with anything except my woman and my WW!:)

Y'all keep up the good work.

Woodwrkr

You better add your dog to that list! And if you keep sheep, well, that is an entire different subject! :)

Wayne Smith
11-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, we don't bite--and even if we did, we've had all our shots.

And if we did, how many of us still have our teeth to make it hurt??

45nut
11-15-2007, 05:44 PM
We are gainin' ,,only 5 to go to hit 4K !

rowdyripley
11-15-2007, 08:24 PM
one down 4 to go.
joined this morning you guys are great. empowering the ignorant (me) is a noble work.

Gandolf
11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi All,

I have been a lurker for a while.

A few years ago I started casting for a while but gave up and am now planning to try it again.

I bought and read (the covers off) the Lyman 44th reloading manual as a kid, and got interested in casting. Also have read the current Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook.

My cast bullets worked great in a friends 357, but I leaded up some of my rifles badly. Since then, I have forgotten how miserable it was to get the lead out of the bores, so am going to try it again. I have done a lot of reading on this site, and others, and have figured out several of the things I did wrong.

Hopefully I will be able to try it again in the next few weeks.

At any rate, it is nice to be here, and I have learned a lot from reading the stuff written on this site, so thanks to you all.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

trmungle
11-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, I have been lurking here for a few years and deciede to join you guys. I have been reloading and casting boolits for a long time. Main intrests are handguns and drillings. As much as I lurk, I feel as if I know you all.
Tom

Saint
11-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Great place about this board is that even people who know relatively little about casting might post something that a seasoned caster never even thought about. And some of the questions they post benefit us all so come on and lets get those people here. If the combined knowledge of 4,000 people is this good imagine the combined knowledge if we hit 5,000.

Razor
11-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi All..
I joined the day I found this site...But kinda feel like a lurker still..
Being such nub and all to this casting thing...(gun nut from WAAAAy back tho)
Anyway, I hope you're all proud of yourselves for your evil influence on me..:>)
I was just wanting a little info on a .303 LEE Loader plinking load...that's all.. not much..just wanted some cheap plinking ammo..
but NOOOO.!!! Now I'm a full blown, plastic money spending boolit-casting reloading OLE PHART !!
Lets see ??
MIDWAY = $55, then $129, and...$238..
GRAFS...$188
Garage sale.. $140 (Hellacious deal on reloading gear, 4 boxes full, couldn't pass it up)
Sportsmans warehouse...$140?...
Today.. MIDSOUTH... $133 + CHANGE...
NOW.. THINKING ON MY NEXT ORDER...

I started out with a LEE loader, and a can of powder.. Now see what you've done...

Gots to go now... My Lee PRO4 20lb pot is calling and got six moulds that need fillin'...
an..70 lbs pure lead that need melting and alloyin'..an some brass needin' tumbling ...an...

Razor

trickyasafox
11-17-2007, 05:50 PM
wow! over the hump! 4007 members! welcome and congrats to everyone!

45nut
01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Now well past 4,500 and gaining on five-thousand. :)

Cyrus
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I signed up last year but have not logged in much. I lurk every day. You folks have a fantastic site here and should be proud! Every day I learn something new. 454PB generously offered to analyze a sample of an alloy I smelted a while back but life got in my way. I thank him for his generous offer anyway.

I'm past the one ton mark in my wheelweight collection but want alot more. I'm storing in 5 gallon buckets til I have the time to smelt. I've smelted 300 lbs or so already into ingots. I have a very understanding wife! Casting is something I'll do one day but for now it's picking ww's up whenever I can for that rainy day. My passions are single action revolvers and single shot rifles. Great place to be and I promise to be more sociable in the future.

:Fire:

xr650
01-26-2008, 05:48 PM
But but but....
All my questions are answered, just waiting to get clicked on and read. If I start axing all the questions again folks would get tired of me axing over and over and over.
And then they would..........
ANd then...
and, and, and

:-D:-D:-D:-D

Seriously the folks on here are excellent. So many of my questions are indeed already answered in existing posts.
Seeings how I am just starting out I am sure I will have questions that I won't search for.
So look out. :mrgreen:

thaxted
01-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Well I guess this thread is as good as any to start posting.[smilie=1:

I've been lurking here since this board started, and at the old shooters.com before. I just never had much to say, so I never bothered to post.

I've been casting for a very long time, but I don't go at it with a passion.( It's been a couple of years since I last fired a rifle with a cast bullet.)

All my casting equipment is Lyman, mostly because that's what is available here in Canada. I use 378248 in 38-55 and .375h&h, 323470 in 8x57, and 311284 in .303 British. As I type this I recall the last cast I shot was in a Krag in 6.5mm I don't recall the bullet number, but it was the common Lyman one that is still available.

I don't imagine I'll contribute a great deal, but I though I'd register and post a bit just so you all know there's one more person on your side. This is a great board and a great online resource. Thank you for providing it.:Fire::cbpour:

joejr
01-27-2008, 09:42 AM
i wish i had found this site sooner,i would have made fewer mistakes. thanks guys for all the info and laughs. now i gotta go shooting so i'll have something to reload

calsite
01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I personally have been very impressed as to the wealth of knowledge I have gotten so far from this Forum........

xyankeeworkshop
02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Howdy fellas,

I finally registered today after a few research sessions here.

I've still not taken the plunge and bought any casting equipment, but plan to very soon as the cost and aggravation of buying component bullets and factory ammo has finally gotten to me.

I look forward to many hours of annoying the cast b00llit gurus with newbie questions, the first of which would be how to actually get a local tire store to part with their precious wheelweights. :mrgreen:

dick
02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Greetings and Salutations to All.

Great site here. I have learned a lot by just reading the posts.
Wonderful wealth of information.

I am new to casting, but do a bit of reloading for rifles and hand guns and shotguns.

Dick.

birddog1520
02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
OK I'll Just say hi.

I'm new to the forum because I was referred here from another site because I just puchased some new casting equipment and want to learn more before I dive into casting my own. I puchased a Lee 4-20 furnace C309-180-r mold Lee sizer kit .30 cal gas checks and a Lee universal case expander die. I'm shootin a 15" 30.06 encore,a 21"30-30 contender and a model 99 savage in 300 savage. I want to hunt with my boolits and need as much info as I can get. I will be casting with wheel weights and I will be puchasing the Lyman cast book shortly as per suggestions from other folks on here.

Randy,The Birddog.

Down South
02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
the first of which would be how to actually get a local tire store to part with their precious wheelweights.
I just stop and ask em. I scored another 5-gallon bucket full the other day. The owner told me to stop back by every week and pick up some more. I did give him 5 new buckets. The bad part was he had at least another 300-400 lbs on the floor that he wouldn't part with. He said that he had to keep some to send back to the warehouse. I stopped at another place yesterday and the guy told me that they had just gave all their WW to some woman the day before. Dang, I just missed it by a day. I did get the few that they had from one day.

donttellthewife
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I was refered to this site from a member at THR after posting about my newest endeavor, casting bullets, I mean boolits.

So far the only thing I have acomplished is to aquire wheel wieghts and recovered lead from the back stop of my local indoor range. I did manage to cast them into 2lb ingots that look just like cupcakes. 140lbs WW, 95lbs recovered range lead, and about 15lbs of what I understand to be pure lead from mag stick on WW.

My goal is to start with 45cap boolits for the learning curve, as these seem to be the most forgiving round I load for. Then I work at the 9mm, 40s+w, and if all goes well some rifle boolits.

Thanks in advance, Ron

HABCAN
03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
At any given time, this site seems to have more 'guests' than members online.

Hey, you 'lurky' guys! Yeah, YOU!
Sign up! Whether Master or Newbie, you'll be welcome here with this great bunch of informative folks. Tell us your stories and jokes. Ask your questions. Relate your experiences. We really want to hear it all.

45nut
03-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Keep'em coming!

Nash
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Lurkin for a little while. Newly registered. Been playin around with casting since December. Weather is just starting to get nice enough to cast outside in Fairbanks.

Great site, lots to learn

Nash

IMR 45-70
03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Fellas,

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks. I've just gotten into casting bullets for my Marlin GG in 45-70. Acquired a mold from Ranch Dog a few weeks ago, & have cast around 200 bullets. Got a mold for my 1911 on order also.
The high prices of bullets have pretty much made me get into bullet casting.
Back in june of last year, i bought a box of 500, 452-230 lead bullets to reload for my 1911. I paid $38.00 for them. Went back to get some more in Dec. and WOW, they were $75.00.- I didn't buy them.

I know i'll have a few questions.

Thanks,

Eric Lambert

One more thing. Has anyone told ya'll that you're spelling "Bullet" wrong? LOL

waksupi
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Welcome aboard, guys. Keep the questions coming. That's what makes this place interesting!

45nut
03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Has anyone told ya'll that you're spelling "Bullet" wrong?

read my signature for WHY.

jodoak
03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
OK, I have been a lurker here, but I am also signed up and a member, but I read more than write or add commentary to this site. I have been casting, loading and throwing lead now for about 35 plus years and I still do not consider myself an expert. Between casting for my true love of BPCR Silhouette and all my other pistol, round ball and rilfes I couldn't even think about adding up all the pounds of lead and tin I have used. The best part, there is almost always something new to learn and each year I add something to my casting techniques. Reading these forums, talking to other avid shooters and experimentation are always interesting in learning new things. What a hobby to have time to do.

IMR 45-70
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
read my signature for WHY.

Oh, Ok. I get it now. That's the way folks in "Orygun" spell it. :coffee::castmine::drinks:

fishhawk
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
not just in "Orygun" but here in "Ouisconsin" also, a boolit is cast, a bullet is a full lengh gas check swaged projectil ...makes total sense to me and others. fishhawk

IMR 45-70
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Very good explaination, Fishhawk. When you put it that way, it should be spelt differnt..... Full length swaged GC = bullet, Cast from a mold = boolit. :-D

LazyJW
03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
At any given time, this site seems to have more 'guests' than members online.

Hey, you 'lurky' guys! Yeah, YOU!
Sign up! Whether Master or Newbie, you'll be welcome here with this great bunch of informative folks. Tell us your stories and jokes. Ask your questions. Relate your experiences. We really want to hear it all.

OK! OK! I just signed up today, been lurking for a while. Been casting for 25 years but need to learn more. Maybe I'll have a few tidbits to add but it doesn't seem likely at this time.
Joe

drklynoon
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Hello all I am a second generation caster and reloader. My father told me about this sight and he was right there is alot of good information and good experienced people here. A little bout my self I have recently just seperated from the military after ten years and find myself with alot of time and a growing hobby. I have been shooting since I was very little but only making home brews for a couple of months. I am a casting leech I own only molds and I use other peoples equipment this is working for now but I some how doubt it will last. I look forward to talking with you guys. Have a great rest of the night and weekend.

Ohio Mike
03-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I have been one of the lurkers, read the posting and decided to join, I have picked up some really good info on this site, Thanks!. Will contribute when I can, currently cast for all pistols and 30 cal. and .444 Rifles. Enjoy the challenge of casting and shooting accurately.

Bigun
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I joined a year ago but finally decided to post. Well met.:drinks:

closey
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Hallo, only been lurking here for about a week, so i registered today.

Interesting site,

Closey

dromia
03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Joe,

Welcome aboard mate :drinks:

Glad you've signed up and joined the gang.

This is where you'll get all the real cast boolit crack and not have to put up with me pretending to know what I'm talking about. :mrgreen:

Buckshot
03-25-2008, 01:16 AM
.............Welcome to all you newer folks. It's great to have you all aboard.

..............Buckshot

closey
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome Gents, it`s good to be in such learned company.

Closey

Buckshot
03-27-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome Gents, it`s good to be in such learned company.

Closey

..............Hey Dromia, one of your bunch :-) Seriously though, a hearty welcome aboard. BTW, if you happen to own and know how to use a lathe, (and since you're here you know your way around guns) I know a guy who might be able to send you enough business to make the house payments :-)

....................Buckshot

clodhopper
03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered this week, this is the first time I saw this thread. There is pleny of good reading here, also idea overload with humor.
Thanks everybody for posting your thoughts.
So what is the registered user count now?

45nut
03-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Welcome Aboard , still plenty of room :)

» Stats
Members: 5,171
Threads: 27,568
Top Poster: Buckshot (6,115)
Welcome to our newest member, 9029luke

FredT
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey guys, I am planning on purchasing a mold to use in a .222 Rem 14 inch T/C Contender, a .223 Rem and a .220 Swift. I cast for a lot of cartridges, but the 22 is new for me. I like the Lyman molds and have many of them. I was thinking of Lyman #225646 to use in all three. I am not looking for high speed, just fun and accuracy. What have ya'll used and what worked for you? What velocity slots seem to work? Thanks, Fred.

bohica2xo
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone. Great forum, with lots of good info.

I have been an NRA life member since 1973, and have been casting bullets since I was about 13...

I spend more time now with my high velocity rifles, but still sling some lead at the local range.

Nice to "meet" everyone.

B.

Dale53
03-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I favor the 225415 for the .22 Hornet, .221 Remington, and .222 Remington. I have not shot cast bullets in the .223 or .220 Swift but it should work well there also.

I generally use Linotype for my .22 Rifle bullets. I consider my Lino as a precious commodity but .22's use very little per bullet. I aircool all of my bullets. If I had no Linotype, I would no doubt heat treat my bullets. Lino is provably the best casting alloy out there as far as casting perfect bullets is concerned but an excellent caster can make do with a less desirable alloy (as a for instance, w/w heat treated if you need to drive them fast and w/w with 2% tin air cooled for speeds under about 1400 fps if using a PB bullet and up to 2000 fps or so with gas check.

Dale53

waksupi
03-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Hello everyone. Great forum, with lots of good info.

I have been an NRA life member since 1973, and have been casting bullets since I was about 13...

I spend more time now with my high velocity rifles, but still sling some lead at the local range.

Nice to "meet" everyone.

B.

Welcome aboard. Stick around, and you will learn how to shoot cast in the high velocity chamberings!

bohica2xo
03-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks!

I have shot plenty of lead rifle bullets, but the .22/284 is not a good candidate for lead.

Maybe I will bust out the old 8x57 Jagermeister rifle for some pb. The irons are regulated to 200 / 400 metres for factory 180 grain jacketed stuff - so it might settle down at 100 with a cast bullet.

B.

Trader Vic
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I've been a reloader for years off & on, use a Lee Pro 1000 for 9mm, 38 spec, 357, 44 mag & 45acp. I mostly used Rainiers from Midway, my last order about a month ago was double what I paid about 6 months ago. I said enough of this, I figured I could get about everything I needed, brand new & cast my own bullits, for what I just paid for 2000 bullits. I have pretty good access to lead which helps a lot. I googled cast bullits about a week ago & found this sight, I've been learning everyday for a week now! I want to thank everybody for sharing this wealth of information, this forum is outstanding. Next week I will start to cast my own, I'm sure I will have lots of questions, but at the very least I will feel comfortable asking. Thank again. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Buckshot
03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
..................Trader Vic, glad to have ya. Proud of ya for deciding to cast your own, and if you have a good source for lead, get all you can! Casting your own, cuts into your TV watching, and that's a GOOD thing.

................Buckshot

Kuato
04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
OK guys, ya got me.

I've been lurkin round here for a good long while. I been casting for about 10 years. But thanks to all you guys I've gotten MUCH better at it. So I finally took the plunge & registered.

Hope i can help someone out the way you guys have helped me out!

Just Duke
04-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Please join and post al lurkers. Very polite bunch here. Best compilation of info on the planet here on Cast Boolits. New people are always treated kindly.:-D

CalFred
04-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Took your invite and registered. I have shot cast bullets on and off for 20 years. Did very little casting. Shot a lot in the 45 ACP, 44 Spl, 44 Mag and 45 Colt. I have used them in the 30-06 and 45-70 and 444 with excellent accuracy.

dead eye
04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi All,

Stumbled on this place while searching the net for .45acp brass. Lo and behold I found it here.
If it is OK with y'all I thing I would like to hang around and learn about casting my own boolits, what with the price of the "commercial" bullets and the appetite of my 1911 Gov't. :Fire:

Dead Eye

Dale53
04-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Welcome, Dead Eye;
This is the place to learn about casting. I have only been casting since about 1950, so as you can see, I have a lot to learn[smilie=1:. Truth is, NO ONE PERSON'S experience is enough. There is always something new to learn and I am the first to admit this. In spite of a LOT of casting experience, there has been a FOUNTAIN of information available here to me and everyone else.

I especially like the postitive attitude around here. They even tolerate my fascination with the .32's:mrgreen:.

Glad to have you aboard.

Dale53

Linstrum
04-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Hi, Dead Eye, welcome, you found "The Place". :-D

For Dead Eye, and you other lurkers out there as well, this is the place for getting answers to questions and learning the ins and outs of casting and how to shoot 'em after you cast 'em.

We've got chemists, machinists, mechanical and design engineers, physicists, mathematicians, and many, many other professional types among our ranks here, but more important than those guys we've got a whole bunch more who know what's going on about how cast boolits work! :Fire:

:brokenima

I think you can find some place here where you will fit right in, and if you can't then we'll make somebody move over so you will![smilie=1:

dromia
04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Welcome aboard dead eye. :drinks:

canyon-ghost
04-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Hello, 45 Nut
Sounds like you're getting wound up for something. Is this the place with free girlie calenders?
Welcome Woodwrkr, you'll love it. Lot's of folks use casting flux, myself, I'm old fashioned in that I still use canning wax and candles to flux with. Think of it, pouring bullets while all the neighbors think you're praying with candles or something. Is it church time yet? Ha, ha. You'll love that Cast bullet manual when it arrives, it isn't difficult and nowhere near as dangerous as they show(for liability purposes, you must always follow all safety pre....shoot me now!)

Rich S
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
O.K., I'm in.
if three 44's likes it here then it has to be O.K.
now for a look around...
Regards,
Rich

Ozarki
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Gang I have been lurking for a long time. Have been a member for some time now, but am a quiet sort. I have been casting for about 15 years for pistols and revolvers. Just recently started shooting cast in military rifle matches. I have a 1903-A3 that is a near tack driver. Just started getting the M-1 tuned up for boolits. Still some work to do with it. Thanks for the great forum. I am newer to the computer than casting so this may get to you and maybe not. Orzarki

srayc
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I am a 15 yr caster as well, when my dad passed on I inherited all the reloading equipment he accumulated for 30 yrs of his life. I remember in the sixties going to drive-in theater swap meets with more tables of guns then you could see in a day... (they mostly just spead out a blanket and laid everything out on it.) My dad was into trapdoor springfield 45-70's. I am more of a lever man. I love the discussion in this forum!

deaddog
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Long time luker, first time caller. I started casting about 25+ years ago with some soft plumbers lead that I stoked way too hot and ended up with some messy smeard-up barrels. I've learned some since then but after seeing all that's posted here I consider myself a mere novice. I enjoy the hunt for new lead sources but they are getting harder and harder to find. One place I went to said a guy was paying $100 a five gallon pail for wheel weights! The days of free lead are near an end. I don't have much to contribute other than my mistakes at this point. Very informative site you guys have here.

DD

Dr Dave
05-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

My name is Dave and I'm one of those guys who lurked around here for quite a while. I have been handloading cast boolits since 1976, but I have not yet done any casting myself. Although most of my cast boolit handloads have been for my 357 Blackhawk and my 44 Super Blackhawk, I have also had success with cast boolits in my 30-30 Marlin.

Can someone please direct me to a thread that focuses on the 44 Magnum? I recently stumbled across some 240 SWCs that are sized to .429" and I'm a little concerned that they might be too small. The fellow who cast these says they have a Brinell hardness of 16. Anyway, I sure could use some information on how to best use these in my Super Blackhawk. Thank you.

Tamerack
05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Hello everyone

I just joined the club. I have been visiting for quite some time. Originally I was looking for reloading info for my 32 special and 32 remington. I have learned a lot from this forum. Piece by piece I have acquired reloading tools, a bullet sizer, four 32cal molds,brass etc. I have yet to cast any bullets, but have reloaded for both rifles with pretty good results. I also just started reloading shotshells, and am considering handloading slugs. Just what I needed, more hobbies!

Tamerack from Wisconsin

SWIAFB
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Welcome Tamerack, pull up a stoll, relaxe ,and read al of the sticky's. Thier is a lot of very usfull info buried in their. You just have to dig back to sort the sh!t out and find the good stuff. SWIAFB

part_timer
05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Hello from Indiana,

I've been reading for a while now and it is amazing how much information is on here.

My son and I have been casting rifle boolits for about a year now and muzzle loader fodder for about 10 years. Mostly we cast 35 caliber for a contender carbine in 357max, dan wesson in 357max, and a browning blr in 358 win. We have 2) 35 cal molds, a rcbs 180gr and an ideal hollowpoint that casts about 185gr.

Thanks for the great site.

beanflip
05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
WELCOME as they all say here jump on in

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Buckshot
05-22-2008, 01:16 AM
...............A hearty welcome to all the new recent additions. We all appreciate your finally signing up and into'ing yourselves. This IS a good place, and the members make it so. Thanks for joining the family.

...............Buckshot

hershey
05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
had a tough time coming on board, special thanx to buckshot and 45nut, i got tons of questions, and already learned allot, if your a northern ohioan, i have been scouting for lead and found a few good places, give a shout and we can swap info, also kinda gonna be looking for a local mentor, recently bought a dillon 550, and got a long learning curve ahead of me.

Down South
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
had a tough time coming on board, special thanx to buckshot and 45nut, i got tons of questions, and already learned allot, if your a northern ohioan, i have been scouting for lead and found a few good places, give a shout and we can swap info, also kinda gonna be looking for a local mentor, recently bought a dillon 550, and got a long learning curve ahead of me.

The Dillon RL 550B does have a learning curve to it. I know because I bought mine about six months ago os so. I've been reloading for more than 35 years and the Dillon was my first progressive cartridge press. The Dillon is one fine machine.

Good luck with the Dillon and Casting. I've found answers to most every question that I've had by just reading and searching here.

Welcome to the forum. :drinks:

Snobal
06-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi All!

Started reloading in the '60's and casting in the 70's. :Fire:

Been quietly "rolling my own" since then. :castmine:

Didn't know there was anyone else still melting wheel weights.:cbpour:

Looks like this will be a great place to hang out.:-D

dougader
06-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi all. Just joined here after reading a bunch. All I have cast before is Lee Tumble lube bullets for a 9mm but would like to try my hand at full on casting with lube sizers and gas checks for 45 Colt and others.

rkwrichard
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Okay I do lurk most of the time. But every so often I chime in. I love to cast for my 38 and my 44 but my passion is my 45-70.

remy3424
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi guys...Stumbled across the site looking for something??? Tons of good info here, a great resource for peoples trials and errors with different molds, lead, techniques etc etc.. Started casting again for .357 and 44 due to the high cost of jacketed projectiles. I won't have much to add, but will gather a lot from all your past experiences. I have a Vaquero and a Win. 94 45LC on "approval" right now, so if I can get them bought right, I be pouring for 45s also shortly, which will mean searching for mold info on that cal. Thanks.

kingstrider
07-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Hello, I'm a former lurker as well but finally bit the boolit and signed up! I'm located in central KY and have been reloading for a while but am new to casting, well sort of. I'm a dental technician and also make jewelry so cast gold and silver alloys almost daily but am new to this.

Anyway I knew I would get into making my own as I've been collecting metal for some time, from begging the local tire shops for old wheel weights to finding recovered projectiles at my local range. My intended uses are fodder for my .357 and .44 revolvers, as well as hunting loads for a pair of stainless Marlins in 44 magnum and 45/70.

While I don't have any casting equipment yet, I have access to a Lee bottom pour furnace and just sold a rifle to finance this new endeavor. I'm thinking of buying the Lyman master casting kit and a pair of molds for starters, and plan to get a dutch oven and an extra ingot mold for smelting raw stock.

Is it feasible to use a Coleman gas camping stove as a heat source until I can get a turkey fryer? I hunt wild turkeys and need one of those anyway but want to keep it as simple (and reasonably cheap) as possible.

Anyway I hope to have everything up and running ASAP as I'm starting dental school in August and want to cast enough boolets to last a while before things get too hectic schedule-wise. Do you guys have any suggestions for a noob like me?

dromia
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Kingstrider:-D

Welcome aboard mate. :drinks:

Many thanks for the post.

Yes a primus type is fine to get started, trick is to keep it simple and don't let the gadgeteers blind you.

Once you cast a few you'll start having views and opinions of your own.

'Till then read, ask, cast and don't spend a lot 'till you know what suits you. :-D

moshannon
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi All,

I've been reading here for about two years now and I think I have gained access to a couple of lifetimes full of knowledge. :-D Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the help you unknowing give to many more like me.

Moshannon (Mike)

Dale53
07-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Mike;
Glad to have you aboard. Don't be afraid to chime in when you have something to share. It is amazing how people who haven't reloaded very long at all can bring a new perspective to the discussion. I have learned a good bit from people I am teaching how to reload. Sometimes we forget just how it was to be new at something...

Dale53

sledgemeister
07-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Just a quick hi and thanks for all the info you guys provide, as a novice caster and reloader your knowledge is invaluable.
Any one thought about compiling all your data and writing a book? I suppose it wouldnt actually be a book more like an encyclopedia.
thanks again.

waksupi
07-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Just a quick hi and thanks for all the info you guys provide, as a novice caster and reloader your knowledge is invaluable.
Any one thought about compiling all your data and writing a book? I suppose it wouldnt actually be a book more like an encyclopedia.
thanks again.

Welcome aboard!

Many of us have printed out topics over the years. When we were still on the old Shooters board, I ended up with a stack of paper 6" thick. I then came to realise, I would probably not be able to find the info I was looking for at any given time, and there was always more good info emerging! It would be like having several sets of encyclopedias around, and would necessitate building more book shelves!

MT Gianni
07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks again.

I keep a couple of cd's full of articles and posts. I am now reserving paper just for interesting loads. Gianni

Dale53
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Joe Brennan should be jumping in here. He has compiled just such a book, with the help of many, and it is available for a very low cost (get the book and the CD).

I am away from home for a week (my son, the Colonel, is "Mustering Out" after his twenty years in the U.S. Army - the last several years a Medical Officer in Special Forces), so I cannot give you a link to Joe and the book. It IS worthwhile and answers many questions for the new and experienced alike. There is even information in there to argue about (something for everyone:mrgreen:).

Anyone with this information at hand, feel free to chime in.

Dale53

lordgroom
07-24-2008, 07:58 PM
The first addition can be obtained for the price of membership in the Cast Bullet Association. I highly recommend joing that organization. A much more comprehensive second edition is available for free at this site:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/

or for purchase. You will see that the free version is a new file fo each chapter. A little unwieldy.

kritter
08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi All,
New to the forum, actually, I was advised to check out this site, when I was looking for casting info on one of my other sites, Handgun Hunter Magazine.
Wanted to get into casting for a while now, (lol, just cheap I guess!) and lurked for a few visits.
Mainly just wanted to learn what I knew I didn't know, before I joined, and started asking silly new guy questions!
Finally decided just to take the plunge.
Many thanks to those responsible for a very good site!

Buckshot
08-08-2008, 12:23 AM
............Welcomes upon you Kritter, and thanks for taking the plunge. There's more here then boolit casting, and one of the best is that I think we have some of the neatest people around.

............Buckshot

reivertom
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Howdy,
I'm new to the forum and I like what I see!
I'm glad to see there are so many other "aflicted souls" just like me! I love the reloading scene, but I've got away from it for a few years due to family matters. That will change in the next few months! I'm baaaaaack!

Buckshot
08-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Howdy,
I'm new to the forum and I like what I see!
I'm glad to see there are so many other "aflicted souls" just like me! I love the reloading scene, but I've got away from it for a few years due to family matters. That will change in the next few months! I'm baaaaaack!

............Heck, we wondered where ya'd been. Didn't we boys :-) Seriously though, welcome aboard.

..............Buckshot

pincherpartner
08-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Howdy,
Just recently decided to change from a lurker to member when there was some information I could pass along.

I recieved an Ideal/Lyman 45 lubrisizer, an old Lee pot, and 9 sets of Lyman molds with more than a few pounds of lead and unknown alloy a few months ago from a family member who hadn't used it in years. This site and the the LA Silhouette Club site have just been invaluable helping me to get started.

At first I was really hesitant to get started, but with all of the information you have it made me confident that I could turn out something shootable and most importantly not poison the family. Although I will say I prefer casting to sizing.

Thanks for all of your help!
Ron

Coconino
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Not lurking any more, I liked what I saw. Found this site when checking on lubrisizers. Have a Star on its way. Need to create better and lower cost fodder for BP and heathen smokeless guns.

Yea, thats what I need - a new hobby to 'save' money.

Dale53
08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Coconino;
I spent about fifteen years shooting and casting for BPCR-Silhouette and also shoot a bunch of BP Revolver side matches. My favorite black powder revolver is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. It also works VERY well with smokeless.

Welcome aboard to all of the new members - a good and very knowledgeable group.

Dale53

dromia
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Welcome aboard Coconino. :drinks:

You'll save a lot here mate, just wait 'till those group buys get to you. Then you'll really start saving..................................up. :-D

GLOCKENNBOOMER
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Hello all....Lurker here.....I get a free USPS FRB full of wheelweights for joining up ,right?? My main hangout is www.glockpost.com , everybodies more than welcome to check it out, Tell them I SENT YOU. Just a junior lead ***** looking to build up his lead reserves and learn more about reloading, smelting and casting...

Coconino
08-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Needed to add the :mrgreen: to the end of my post.:mrgreen:

I am looking forward to learning much and contributing my successes and failures.

Linstrum
08-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Hey, there, pincherpartner, welcome aboard! Quite a handle ya got there, too!:)

I'm glad to hear that you have taken over the equipment no longer used by a family member. Recycling like that is good, as well as recycling lead wheel weights into boolits.[smilie=1:

We'll be glad to listen to anything you have to pass on about casting, or anything else for that matter.

Glad to hear you are confident that you can turn out stuff that is shootable, I was in your shoes at one time, too! Still am, I guess, come to think of it.

Howdy,
Just recently decided to change from a lurker to member when there was some information I could pass along.

I recieved an Ideal/Lyman 45 lubrisizer, an old Lee pot, and 9 sets of Lyman molds with more than a few pounds of lead and unknown alloy a few months ago from a family member who hadn't used it in years. This site and the the LA Silhouette Club site have just been invaluable helping me to get started.

At first I was really hesitant to get started, but with all of the information you have it made me confident that I could turn out something shootable and most importantly not poison the family. Although I will say I prefer casting to sizing.

Thanks for all of your help!
Ron

rl393

Pitmaster
08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Newer member but never introduced myself. Started shooting about a year and a half ago, began reloading late this winter, and just beginning to cast. Been collecting lead for a couple of months and the first smelt is scheduled for Sunday. I've got about 8 gallons of lead in buckets. Most is lead from a private range. Some WW and a little plumbing lead. Been learning a little while reading over the past few days.

Dale53
08-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Pitmaster;
Welcome to the club! Glad to see a relatively new shooter enjoying reloading and casting. It is a lifetime sport.

Dale53

coyotebait
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I have been lurking for a while and gleaned lots of helpful info over the months. I credit this forum for keeping my wallet thin, as I keep getting new to me ideas that on the surface should save me money but in the end cost me cuz I need a new gun or equipment to test the ideas. At any rate it has been fun and very informative to look in.
coyotebait

carpfancy
09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi! :)

I admit I have been lurking a while but I think now it is time to stop snooping around!

I bought a 50 cal in-line this year and want to start casting for it. I have a source for lead (wheel weights) and am interested in trying my hand in casting.

I also shoot lead out of my S&W 327 Miculek in competition and would like to start casting 158gr round nose bullets for it.

Dale53
09-13-2008, 12:39 AM
I have lots of experience with traditional muzzle loaders but have no experience with the inlines. They do look pretty dern efficient, tho". I would think a good WFN cast boolit would work fine in the sabot's.

Lee makes a dandy six cavity mould for their 158 gr RF (round flat) that I believe will work well with speed loaders and full moon clips. I have that mould but have not run it with speed loaders (as yet).

Glad you have "joined the club" and a hearty welcome to you.

Dale53

472x1B/A
09-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Greetings fellow shooters and casters.

I would like to start off with thanking the honorable Mr. 45nut for this very enjoyable and informative site. Thank you Sir. And thank you to all of the many members who have shared so much of their personal information with me. I am mostly a reader and gatherer, not much into the posting. (am a hunt and peck typer) Anyway, have hunted and shot most of my life, grew up on a farm, retired from the A.F., reloaded since 1987, started casting this year. Love it and wish I would have started 20 years ago.

mikenbarb
10-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for a while and recently joined. I have a decent amount of knowledge in reloading factory bullets but fairly new to casting boolits and feel this is THE site to learn what I can and to ask what I dont know without feeling embarrased. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their wealth of knowledge shared here because I need every little bit of help I can get with my new found love. Thanks again, Mike B.

sammy
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
well being new to the site i must say it is a fine source of info.........
with many extreemly helpfull people ..

Linear Thinker
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Decided to come out of the shadows. Greetings everyone!
Been shooting for ~37 years, reloading for 30 including running a commercial reloading operation, casting for 2 - black powder balls only.
About to take a leap to real boolit casting, and will be asking for advise and handholding.
LT

Dale53
11-07-2008, 06:39 PM
LT;
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.

Dale53

davidalyn
11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
OK, you caught me.

I have been shooting for about 40 years.

Currently shooting USPSA matches and just for fun.

Casting for about 10 years.

Great information found here.

Thanks
Dave

PhoenixRising
12-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey guys, thank you for all the knowledge that I have gained over the last few weeks of reading. I have only been reloading for a couple of years and really enjoy it and have found a complete new love with this casting. I didn't think it could get any better but it did. I try to encourage everyone who shoots a lot to reload now its followed by casting also. Its funny how I find my self reading this forum more than any other shooting and reloading forums. Thanks for the read guys. Every time I have a bad day on the golf course I say to myself, dang that green fee could have been another mold. Its such a great hobby casting your own.

VA Jim
12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi all,
Just getting back into casting. Been about 20 years since last casting. I just ordered a 35 mold from Ranch Dog. Looking forward to using these in the Marlin.
I see that there is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm looking forward to learning more.
Jim

waksupi
12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Welcome to all the new members. It's good to have new blood.

For your browsing ease, I suggest you click on the "Today" link on the top of the page. This will show you the posts since your last visit, within the past day.

Jbar4Ranch
12-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I've been a member here for some time, but do much more lurking, reading & researching than posting - this is only post #3. Over the past forty years or so, I've easily cast a couple hundred million pounds of lead...

... working several years at an ASARCO lead smelter casting ten ton ingots ten at a time helped out a lot with that total! I've cast bullets for the same forty plus years though, and currently have 66 moulds in my inventory, ranging from a 45 grain .32 cal round ball to a 700 grain bore rider GC .500 S&W mag design custom cut for me by Dan Lynch of Mountain Molds in Idaho. I've also tried my hand at cutting my own moulds on a 4' JET lathe with fairly decent results. I use a pair of RCBS Pro Melt furnaces with a Lyman ten pounder as a backup, and shoot almost every day on my own range which consists of a three stage CAS range, a couple of foot tripped clay traps, and target butts at 7 yards, 25 yards, 35 yards, 50 yards, 75 yards, 100 yards, 250 yards, 300 yards, and 500 yards. I've got sufficient room for a thousand yard range, but just haven't got around to clearing a few trees and lasing it off yet. A 25 yard indoor range in one of the out buildings is also in the back of my head, and possibly a hundred yard underground range someday.

I'm semi-retired and spend my time Cowboy Action Shooting with my youngest daughter, and managing a few hundred acres here outside of Helena, Montana and another little 600 acre spread just out of Colton, Washington.

BobCat
12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Time to step out of the shadows and say "Hello!" Been reading and learning but have much more to learn than to teach, so this is my first post. Just started feeling creepy, being here but not really "being here".

Anyway, thanks for all the information. I am thinking seriously about starting to cast - been reloading almost 40 years, including loading cast lead bullets - bought, not ones I cast - and it is time to get with the program.

I do use the search function a lot (and get sidetracked, but that is ok, I'm learning something even if it is not what I set out to find out). Will limit questions to topics where the search function does not find what I need to know, so y'all may not hear from me for a while. Anyway, just sayin' "hi". Thanks.

Regards,
Andrew

Dale53
12-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Welcome to all. You'll find this a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

Dale53

Just Call Me...G
12-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Good Day Gents,

I have been lurking around this site for last 3 months and today I finally decided to take the plunge and become a member.

A brief history:
I have been an avid shooter and hunter for 30-some odd years, have been reloading for the last 10 years and have been interested in casting boolits for a few years.

My best shootin' bud Travas had peaked my curiousity with stories about his grandfather.
Trav's grandpappy is REAL "old-school" Nevada; raised in the country, went off to W.W. II, came back and bought himself a piece of property way out in the boonies, casts his own CBs, reloads his own ammo, lives close to the Earth. Heck, he never leaves the house without his old Colt .45 hogleg stoked full of Keith-style CBs.

A couple of years ago Trav and I decided to look around locally and start purchasing some casting gear. We made some smoking deals and then the stuff just sat in our respective garages, sometimes life can interrupt our avocations.

Well this year we took an inventory of our gear and decided that the time was right.
We have noticed the steady (almost daily) increase in ammo/reloading components and the lack of availability of cost-effective practice ammo. Along with these elements we have our concerns regarding our pending political climate and how it will impact avid shooters like us.

Beyond this, I have found myself in a situation where I am unemployed.
So we have decided that while I am looking for work during the week, I can also spend a little time casting for our particular "co-op". During the weekends it is a team effort.

We have all that is required including our RCBS Pro-Melt, several dies for our .45s, .40/10mms and .30 cal rifles, etc. We were also very fortunate by having an inside guy at the local Big-O Tires, a fifth of Jack Daniels netted us over 400lbs. of wheel weights (reminds me of my active-duty days) :-)

Besides the WWs we also had 150lbs. of linotype donated by Trav's grandpappy.
We are good to go! I have been casting steadily for the last month and a half and we have accumulated untold hundreds of 230gr LRN & TC .45s, 155gr. & 173gr. 30-cal. boolits and a whole mess of 175gr. 40/10mm TCs.

I really wanted to give a big "THANK YOU" to all of the members of this site.
Anytime I'd hit a speedbump with my casting I would just lurk around here and find out what I was doing wrong.

In particular I wanted to say thanks to Mr. Beagle for his articles on LEE molds and their idiosyncrasies...I am telling you I was having one helluva a time with that C312-155-2R until I "beagled" it! Now those 155-grainers are coming out real pretty!

Well, that's all for now...my mold and pot are at the right temp. and I gotta go throw some lead around!

Kind Regards,

G

ironhat
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Brand spankin' new here. I've spent the past couple of days reading as I recover from some heart issues. Pretty neat stuff and a far more diverse activity than I imagined. I need to get my mitts on a Lyman manual and read some more on the process as some of the posts just aren't making sense to my ignorant mind. If there is any disadvantage to using the current edition of the Lyman manual please let me know. I've also been told taht Lee's second edition of "Modern Reloading" is a good bet. Any takers on that one?

Catch ya later,
Chiz

Tippet
12-30-2008, 01:17 AM
NG checkin' in. Nice place you have here, looking forward to it. I'm new to this, though I've been a shooter for several decades. Thanks for being here.

Slingshot
01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Howdy all,

Slingshot here checking in. Nice to "meet" you all. A wealth of knowledge here and a fun bunch of people. Thanks to all that have purchased stuff on my selling post, I am packing stuff as the requests come in. This will help fund my 45/70 Sharps Replica that the wife won't let me buy with "our" money:confused: I wonder what she means by "our" :mrgreen: money LOL.

Slingshot

Gunfixer
01-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi to all
Just found this site today while searching for sutff. WOW! I have found more info in 10 minutes than I have in the last 2 years. Thanks to all who keep it running

3rptr
01-05-2009, 03:47 AM
There was a higher power that forced me to join the roster.
A fine group of intelligent people who show a can-do attitude and Get r dun!
1 of our rptrs gathered a Mosin Nagant.
It felt very strange buying factory made ammo.
With the exception of 9mm and 12g an 22lr's I haven't done that in many, many years.
I don't like it.
New goal is to cast boolits for the 91/30 and send 'em downrange from a berdan case.
Will also work on .30 cal subsonic loads.
Plenty to read abot and research.
Hopefully I can contribute, one day.
Thank you 45nut.
3rptr

Firebricker
01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the invite 45 nut i joined recently did not take long to see this site is full of good info and good people !!!

Plain Base
01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
OK, I'll come out of hiding.......

First off, 45nut THANK YOU for providing the incredible website for casters. I've been lurking and not posting simply because there is so much to read and absorb that I don't have a single thing to add at this point.

I was bitten by the casting bug a few years back and bought everything I need to get going. Then life and it's distractions killed all of my forward momentum so my gear has been gathering dust. This forum has rekindled my interest, and I intend to start making boolits in the next week or so. I've got zero casting experience so I may have a question or two, but I've already learned a LOT while lurking here, so I'll try not to ask old questions.

Anyway, hello from Eastern Oregon.

Plain Base

Thomas_K
01-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I have read on here for a month or so, and i think it's time i said thanks. There is so much excellent information on here. Just started casting a week ago, and thanks to the info on here my first batch came out excellent. (LEE 105gr SWC for a 686)

KY_Camper
01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Been lurking here for some time and finally decided to join. There is a LOT of very good information here (but you knew that already), and I have learned a lot. I started casting many years ago with the little lead toy soldiers (wish I still had those molds). After casting fishing lures for some years, I moved into casting for my .44 cap & ball revolver, then 45 ACP. I am now just starting to try my hand at rifle (308).

Thank you all for everything you have taught me and are teaching me.

pls1911
01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Ky Camper?

I won't ask but thanks for the grin and welcom!!!

A shout out to Mr Morris in Seattle.... GIT IN HERE!!!

Rascal started me on this path too many years ago when I whined about the cost fo IHMSA competition quantity rounds....
While I remain Texas born and bred, he's become an...er.... "left coaster" by job, but not by shootin' intent....
Turned him on to the site last week and I'm sure he'll be official here soon..............
Pablo

KY_Camper
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Ky Camper?

I won't ask but thanks for the grin and welcom!!!

No big deal. I own a campground in Kentucky, so KY_Camper. :smile:

Thanks for the welcome!

orygun_native
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Been lurking for a while so I figured I jump in with both feet. The water is a little too warm though, I think someone's been peeing in the pool.

waksupi
01-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Been lurking here for some time and finally decided to join. There is a LOT of very good information here (but you knew that already), and I have learned a lot. I started casting many years ago with the little lead toy soldiers (wish I still had those molds). After casting fishing lures for some years, I moved into casting for my .44 cap & ball revolver, then 45 ACP. I am now just starting to try my hand at rifle (308).

Thank you all for everything you have taught me and are teaching me.

Welcome aboard. A friend had a hilarious story about getting his Class A into a campsite at Rabbit Hash last summer. I hope it was your place!

KY_Camper
01-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Waksupi,
It wasn't my place. Rabbit Hash is up close to Cincinnati. I'm just outside Mammoth Cave National Park, about 90 miles north of Nashville.

Watching some of those class As can be very interesting. There is a very wide range of driving abilities out there! There are also some very tight RV Parks!

fl4guy
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
OK, can't keep quiet any longer,I cast my first boolets this morning!
Some are good enough to shoot and it was all fun.

I credit lurking here for my 1st try success, You folks have taken me through setting up my loading gear, shooting glue stick boolits, shooting .22boolits in a .30 cal rifle with pistol powder to now making new boolits from my own range scrap!!! Thank you all!!

All the answers were here waiting for me to soak it up, again, Thank you.
Lamar in Alabama

Treetop
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Hello, I'm a 61 year old machinist. I have been reloading since the early 60s. I started casting shortly after I returned home from the Marines in the early 70s. I shot IPSC competition with the 1911 and the NRA Highpower match with an M1 Garand and S.A. M1-A in those days.

Sometime in the early 90s, I stopped casting and started using "j-word" bullets in my rifles and store bought H&G 68s in my 1911s. I can't remember why I stopped but I kept all of my casting equipment and several hundred pounds of WW already smelted into ingots.

After considering today's political climate, my New Years resolution this year was:

1) To continue buying cases of loaded ammo to enlarge my "stash".

2) Start casting my boolits again and not use any more of my "stash" ammo for practice.

To that end, I cast 1288 beautiful .30 caliber bullets last weekend from WW. I had forgotten what a thrill it is to open that mold and watch the shiny bullets tumble out! I'm hooked again!

I probably won't post much, but I will be regular reader of this excellent forum.

Dale53
01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Welcome aboard Treetop!

Don't be bashful. A fella with all of those years experience can probably help most any of us.

I took my brother to get a set of tires today (he left his car at the dealer) and while there I hit the dealer up for some wheelweights. In addition to the rather small amount i picked up today, the dealer (whom I have dealt with for a long time) agreed to save all of his WW's for me. Here's hopin'!!

Dale53

Treetop
01-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Nice score Dale 53! One of the differences that I've noticed since my "return to the fold" is that used WWs are harder to buy now and quite a bit more expensive. Several tire shops in my area have recently told me that they are not allowed to sell used WWs to anyone but a "licensed" re-cycler. What's up with that? I was able to eventually buy about 300# total from several small shops in the area.

Dale53
01-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I suspect, that with the precipitous drop in lead prices, that wheelweights are going to be more available to the "likes of us" until and if the industry changes over to steel ones. I would recommend that you folks who have been discouraged of late might want to check around some more.

Dale53

Buckshot
01-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Wanted to add my welcome to all the folks that have decided to participate instead of LURK as that gives me that crawly feeling between the shoulder blades, ya know? :-)

..............Buckshot

Treetop
01-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Wanted to add my welcome to all the folks that have decided to participate instead of LURK as that gives me that crawly feeling between the shoulder blades, ya know? :-)

..............Buckshot

Sorry, Buckshot, at least I didn't lurk very long...:)

winshooter
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM
I belong to a few Forums but this seems to be the most friendly Forum I've found. Lots of good information. Who'd have thought you could make "glubluits"???

Mike

DJ303
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Just tried first smelt. I'm going to try casting boolits this weekend. Great info here.
Can't wait to try cb in the old #4. Thanks all!:drinks:

Buckshot
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
.........Treetop, "Sorry, Buckshot, at least I didn't lurk very long..." You're my new hero

.......... winshooter "I belong to a few Forums but this seems to be the most friendly Forum I've found. We strive. Lots of good information. Who'd have thought you could make "glubluits"??? We've got some truly imaginative a resourceful folks here so whatever they come up with next won't be a surprise

............DJ303 "Just tried first smelt." THAT'S the easy part:-) I'm going to try casting boolits this weekend. This is the slightly harder part

Welcome aboard guys.

..............Buckshot

DJ303
02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
:-d11161

Bert2368
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
O.K.- I have now officialy de-lurked.

Hogokansatsukan
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Been lurking, shoping, and inhaling the sweet fragrance of molten pb. Thought I might give casting a try three weeks ago and now have 6 molds, 4 more on the way, and a 1/4 ton of lead ingots I made from WW. I've reloaded for 20+ years and wonder why I didn't start casting sooner.
Great forums filled with more info than my little brain will hold.

Just wanted to step out of the shadows and say "Thanks!"

Steppenwolf
02-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Greeting,

I have cast round ball but never boolits. This looks like an interesting place.

Cheers
Kevin

Slow Elk 45/70
02-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Hello Folks, I just joined your community and thought I would say Hell-O before I am cast as a Lurker...:twisted: I have been casting since before I want to admit, so I have a few bad habits, 44's,45's, 45/70's and others..I have a thing for guns that start with 4 in caliber , I guess.. S.L.45/70:)

whitetailwarrior
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I also am new here, I joined middle of last week or so. I have been lurking for nearly a week. I have been casting boolits for the last 30 or so years. I've casted a gazillion pistol boolits, a megamillion revolver boolits,and about a million rifle boolits. I belong to a couple of forums, but I generally do not post much, unless I can help someone. I mostly enjoy reading posts, if I am not casting, in fact I just finnished melting down 300 lbs of ww's into ingots and casted about a thousand .45 rnd nse. I also hunt with my reloads, both cast and jacketed. Both handgun and rifle. Well thanks for being here. I have already learned a few things more than I already knew.

Ron B.
02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Hello Guys & Gals!
I've been on board now for about a month; and have really enjoyed co-mingling, participating, buying, fussing, and selling; and all about this addictive casting stuff!
Man, I breathe it. Glad to know I walk among The Think Alikes! :)
And, I always thought I was special. Lol!

GRB

captaint
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I too am new to casting boolits. Been rolling my own for a long while, but not makin boolits. Couple of weeks ago I took my new 1911 to the indoor range for a little break in. Yes sir, you can have that box of ammo for only 38 bucks! Time to get castin and you guys have saved me already buying the wrong thing first. This site is terriffic.

waksupi
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I too am new to casting boolits. Been rolling my own for a long while, but not makin boolits. Couple of weeks ago I took my new 1911 to the indoor range for a little break in. Yes sir, you can have that box of ammo for only 38 bucks! Time to get castin and you guys have saved me already buying the wrong thing first. This site is terriffic.

You will find you have fallen in with a bunch of enablers, and we will do all we can to see you spend as much money saving money as we do!

camotruck
02-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Here's my first post and what is probally the begining of my devorce, or my death. I'm a frequent member of the handloaders bench.(Please don't hold that against me) I have some of the most basic tools from pouring my own spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I thought I would start with a basic round ball for my flintlock and go rom there. Give me a few weeks to look around before I start asking questons. I'm in Frederiick MD is there anone close that wouldent mind showing me the ropes or their setup so I can get the feel.

Thanks Mike

RexDart
03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Not entirely a lurker, but not the most frequent poster either. I've been browsing this forum for some time, wanting to get in to the bullet casting game. I've slowly been building my toolset, acquiring via Christmas gifts, Craigslist and other sources a supply of lead, Lee bottom-pour pot, turkey fryer, cast iron pot, misc tools -- and after a very long time on back-order, a Lee six-gang mold in .401.

Took some time to myself Friday night, filled the drip-o-matic with WW alloy and off we went. After taking some time to finally get the mold broken in and hot enough, managed to surprise myself by producing a few hundred shiny new truncated cone bullets! After reading and planning for so long, the sense of accomplishment is hard to describe.

Thanks to everyone here for your wealth of shared info. The stickies, threads found in searches and just random browsing have provided much wisdom which has guided me around common pitfalls and costly mistakes.

Dale53
03-03-2009, 01:01 AM
RexDart;
That's what this place is all about!

Dale53

wildwes
03-04-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't post as much as I'd like to, mostly because I don't know enough to answer very many of the questions people ask on here, but I'm really glad I joined this site. Everybody on here has been really helpful, and I really enjoy corresponding with all of y'all. :)

Bladebu1
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
well I would like to say thanks I have read alot and learned even more
I am sure I will be asking qustions
i used to reload and cast with my dad Years ago 20+ and I am taking it back up now that I am retired well working my seconded job and so I can teach my kids just because it hold 20 rounds dose not mean you have to shoot all 20 ( if they work for it the may take it easy)
like I said thanks

2hawk
03-11-2009, 02:38 AM
New, been lurking for awhile. Slowly putting my casting equipment together, hope to be pouring lead this summer. Great forum, I'll just keep reading for a bit :coffee:

d_b_cooper
03-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Hi all, been lurking for some time now. Have scrounged close to half ton of lead in the past year... all nicely smelted into cupcake size ingots. Plan on casting soon for my mausers.. K98k and G33/40's. There is a wealth of info on this forum..Thanks to all..

Scootshop
03-13-2009, 03:13 AM
hello

I need some help. Have just started casting for Cowboy action Shooting with good results. Cast for 45 colt and 38 Special. Want to start casting for 223. Where do I start? I am just punching paper with the AR. Mold? Sizer and gas check installer what lee one to get? Anyone point me to a thread on the subject? tried to search and my screen just showed a error. I hope to learn a lot here.

Thanks in advance

Scootshop

gtivan
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
New member from Salem Oregon saying howdy. I have zero experience, so expect a lot of basic questions.

I did come across a deal on a old Saeco Smelter, Lyman 2 cavity 38cal SWC 150 grain, and a RCBS Lube A Matic at a reasonable price. Now I just need to learn how the heck to use them.

Anyone withing a 50-100 mile radius of Salem like walking a newbie through the basics?

Thanks

45nut
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
hello

I need some help. Have just started casting for Cowboy action Shooting with good results. Cast for 45 colt and 38 Special. Want to start casting for 223. Where do I start? I am just punching paper with the AR. Mold? Sizer and gas check installer what lee one to get? Anyone point me to a thread on the subject? tried to search and my screen just showed a error. I hope to learn a lot here.

Thanks in advance

Scootshop

Welcome to the board, I heartily recommend reading thru the classics and stickies, there is a ton of info in there.

Start threads and go at the subjects one at a time and we WILL get you there. :drinks:

BULLY HAYES
03-30-2009, 11:14 PM
OK Question? I just recently got a single cavity mould, it's a Lyman 257312U gc ,and I'm presuming, the letter U means undersize,as it seems to whistle right through my 258 sizing die,pisks up the lube OK, but only seems to size on the bottom band, front band mike's .257" is this a candidate for Beagling?

Calamity Jake
03-31-2009, 08:34 AM
OK Question? I just recently got a single cavity mould, it's a Lyman 257312U gc ,and I'm presuming, the letter U means undersize,as it seems to whistle right through my 258 sizing die,pisks up the lube OK, but only seems to size on the bottom band, front band mike's .257" is this a candidate for Beagling?

If your gun requires a boolet bigger than .257, then yes beagling will help it.

Hawken
04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I have been a reloader for over 25 years, and have looked into casting for almost as long. I am now going to look for a mold for .308 and have a serious go at it.

6.5 mike
04-10-2009, 06:49 AM
hi been lurking for about 10 months what to thank yall for all the info on cast & everything related to it. had been looking for this info & found you by pure luck . plan on loading for 6.5x55 7mm 8mm 3040 krag 303 sav & 30-30 in rifle 38 357 44spl 44-40 & 45acp in wheel guns. yall may not hear from me much because of working on miss river but ill be around. gun control -1ST - ROUND ON TARGET.

2Sharp
04-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Hello folks. I guess I will come out of the shadows and introduce myself. I have been reloading since the early 60's and started casting about 5 years later. I wish there was a place like this back then. Al Gore didn't invent the Internet yet. Learned my stuff from books and trial and error. Elmer Kieth and Jack O'Connor were my hero's. Every time I get a gun in a new caliber I have to get loading dies and molds all over again. My latest is a Great Western in 45 LC and will be loading and test firing today.

There is so much information on this site it will be some time before I get through it all. Good job guys and keep shooting.

bj

Trey45
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Howdy, long time lurker here, finally joined. Got into handloading around 2.5 years ago and got into casting earlier this year. So far I've got around 1000 pounds of WW & rendered a little over half of that into ingots. Reading this board has helped more than you will know, just about every question I had had already been answered here. That little "search" button up there is a powerful tool. A good friend of mine has been a mentor through all this too, anything that I can't find answers for here, he can usually come up with a solution.

I'm hooked, and hooked hard, I'm almost constantly on the lookout for new sources of lead. There's a boat salvage yard near Hertford NC that has a sailboat keel I want. Tire shops around here already know me and sell me 5 gallon buckets for either 15 cents a pound, or 20 bucks a bucket, depending on where i go. I blame ya'll for my new addiction, and I also thank you guys for it too :)

chemist308
04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi from northeast Pennsylvania! I'm new to casting, but I've always wanted to do it.

gwilliams2
04-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey from North East San Antonio... Been reloading for 20 or so years and making my own fishing sinkers about 30 years.... So far it seems to have been a pretty easy transition and now I have the bug. Don't think I'll be buying ammo any time soon..

Snyd
05-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Hello from beautiful downtown Fairbanks Alaska! I've been lurking here for a couple months, learning a lot and have been collecting lead. I've got over 4- 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights (just got one bucket today for free ) and scored on 1- 21lb Linotype Pig. I messed up last weekend and passed up 2- 21lb linotype pigs at a gunshow for 25 bucks each. Oh well, I've got plenty of lead to get started. I'll start out casting for my 45 Colt Redhawk and 454 Casull/45 Colt levergun and then 44 and maybe even 38. Been watching here and ebay for molds. I'd like to get 255gr and about a 360gr or so 45 molds. One for plinkin and one for killin. Any input is welcome.

I'm a mod over at Alaska Outdoors Directory Forums (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/) and I see a few familiar guys around here like Ranger Rick. I've got a few of his boolits in the basement and am going to help my Pastor load up some of Ricks 535gr .452 Thumpers for his 460 S&W. I got started reloading a couple years ago and am looking forward to smelting some lead muffins and casting some boolits this summer.

Thanks for this site and to all of you who contribute so much.

Perry

Dale53
05-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Perry,
Welcome to the group. It's a lively bunch here with LOTS of good information and LOTS of good experience.

Dale53

Oldtimer
05-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi all,
Been watching and reading for a while. Decided I'd jump in and check the water. Been reloading and casting for 35+years. Still have and old Lyman 450 that I got in probably 72 or 73. Still works as good as ever. I cast 5 different pistol bullets, and 2 rifle bullets, as well as minie and round balls for a front stuffer. Enjoy reading all the posts. Lot of varied experience. Thanks to all

Jreb
05-10-2009, 01:43 PM
OK!! I'm in and this is my question. I shoot a .58 Enfield 3 band musket. After trying many different Minie"balls and powder charges I finally found a combination that works. It's the RCBS .575 Hodgdon. I am also an old retired navy diver with high frequency hearing loss and my co-shooters at the range tell me that the bullets whistle when they go down range. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? They aren't tumbling because they cut a nice hole in the target and group very well.

speedracer211
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
New member from Allentown PA. Smelted my first ingots today after work.

Dale53
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM
speedracer211;
Welcome to the asylum!!:mrgreen: This IS the place!

Dale53

lead-1
05-16-2009, 03:00 AM
OK, another lurker has arrived. Let the aggravation begin. [smilie=1:

creophus
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been lurking for a while myself. Nice place you guys have here.

1095man
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I've learned so much reading old post that I haven't had time to post. My collection of stuff is growing and I hope to get casting soon.

aletheuo
05-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok, you flushed me out of the British Columbia underbrush. Don't do any casting but was interested in shooting cast so I picked up a box of 800 7mm GC 145 grainers and so here I am. Haven't shot any yet. Very soon

olovo
05-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi from Croatia!

No questions so far from me.
While waiting for my equipment to arrive I'm learning as much as I can. I've been reloading for a while now but didn't cast my own "boolits" - time to change that.

BTW, excellent forum! :grin:

P.S. excuse my english...

stickandrudder
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Just found this place. I guess it is close to the end of the internet. I'm almost there.
Have cast fishing weights but no boolits, yet. Still studying this. Have reloaded for years.
Looking at casting 44, 45, and 30cal, and 50 muzzleloading.

skeeter1911
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a few weeks and finally got around to registering. Very informative site you have here.

Dale53
06-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the site, good people!

We hope to see some contributions from YOU, also. Whether you are VERY experienced or new to casting and shooting cast bullets, you will probably have a tip or two to pass on. Feel free to do so.

Dale53

Sonic Sammy
06-28-2009, 01:31 AM
New member here anyone from vegas??

Bob.
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Hello from Indiana [smilie=s:

Been hangin out here for a while soakin up info, this is a great site glad I found it!
I'm just another shooter/reloader looking to start casting.

Bob

lifeon2
06-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey all been lurking for some time and I look forward to actually participating now [smilie=w:

06-30-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm new, I've lurked for almost a year I'm looking forward to try my hand at casting.

eddeb3
07-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Howdy from Texas.

..been here lurking a while...trying to absorb some of the forum's collective wisdom. As soon as my Lee 405 gr. hb mold comes in, I plan to begin casting for my H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic. I'm brand new to boolit casting and I can't wait to get started! :)

Eddeb3

SierraWhiskeyMC
07-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Howdy from Orlando, FL. ;)

Been lurking for mebbe a week.

I've cast boolits here and there for the last 40 or so years, nothing really serious though. But the price of commercial bullets has gone quite bonkers over the last few years (if you can even find what you're looking for) - so no time like the present to start casting again.

Dad left me a nice 1893 Marlin .32-40 (vintage mid-late 1920's) that was Grandpa's, and some rather old .32-40 cases that I've been cleaning up - along with molds and reloading tools for .32-40 and other various calibers. Been doing a fair bit of reading on .32-40 stuff; seems to be hard to find decent info on it.

Dale53
07-30-2009, 12:08 AM
SierraWhiskeyMC;

You might want to check in here:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

The American Single Shot Rifle Ass'n has lots of information on the .32/40.

Then there is the Marlin Owners Forum:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/

Good luck!

Dale53

reddog
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Look here, I'm fair new here and I can say it's real good to talk with folks who have their head on straight. Ever body I've talked to so far has been a good sign. I hope to be accepted here and be able to stick around for a while. Thanks for lettin me. Reddog

roadwarrior307
08-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I am new here, and I'm just starting to get into bullet casting. Its cool to find a website where so many people seem to have their heads on straight. Thanks for letting me participate.

Hubertus
08-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi there, I've been reading and learning for a while now.
I think it's time to step up :-D
Right now I have a .45-70 cast boolit project under way - we'll see how that comes out. Ok, I know it's not the most daring thing to do - but since I got the rifle, why not try using cast. It will be the first time for me.

Rusty Parker
08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board for several months now after deciding to get back into muzzleloading earlier in the year. I've been impressed by the quality of the discussion and have learned a lot that I wish I'd known when I first started casting minies 25 years ago. I shot in the NSSA for ten years and also hunt, although I've never hunted with black powder. Maybe this year.

I made the mistake (?) of trading in my BP guns for shotguns some 15 or so years ago--family and job moves made competition shooting difficult. I am now rebuilding my CW gun collection and cleaning up old molds, buying new ones, casting, having fun on the range, etc. Currently working out the bugs on a P-H 2 band Enfield and a loaner P-H musketoon with a Hoyt barrel. I'm also waiting on a 1st model Maynard from Larry Romano.

This thread is what finally convinced me to register after lurking for so long. So thanks everyone, and looking forward to participating.

Rusty

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I just found this site yesterday!

This morning I decided to Join Up! :lovebooli

My wife & I will be shooting more now, I use to reload quite alot back in the late 80's . . . just got my press out about a month ago! Loaded up about 100, but low on primers & powder, got the powder now, but the primers are still on backorder . . . been almost a month now! Prices sure have changed too!

I'm hoping to be able to cast all my own Boolits in the future . . .I have never done it before, still got to get the stuff I need to do it.

Dale53
08-23-2009, 01:16 PM
123DieselBenz;
Welcome to the site!

Glad to have you "Back in the game". You'll enjoy bullet casting once you get the necessary gear.

I am still using my Bottom pour RCBS that I have had for thirty years. The gear lasts well. I have a "fish fryer" (same as a Turkey Fryer) that I expect to last me for years (I use this for "smelting"). It is important to use a separate set up for smelting ww's to keep the "gunk" out of your bottom pour pot. Only put clean ingots in your bottom pour pot for casting bliss (creates all kinds of problems with the bottom valve and you can also end up with inclusions in your bullets).

It seems daunting when you look at what you need, but I always suggest to potential reloaders to get up to speed with reloading. Then, when you are reloading without problems, then look at bullet casting. Frankly, I enjoy bullet casting and reloading and doing both allow me to shoot for practically nothing. I will shoot more than 5000 rounds this year (only cast bullets and reloaded ammo for me) and it cost peanuts. My reloading and casting equipment gets amortized over the years until the cost eventually becomes a non-issue.

During times of ammo shortage I walk around with a smile on my face (not a smirk, you understand, just a smile...[smilie=1:).

Dale53

LostSoul
08-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Hello everyone, new lurker here...

I haven't made my own boolits yet, but I'm slowly gathering materials and knowledge. This is a great site!

I'm actually brand new to reloading, I've only loaded up about 100 rounds (.357 mag), and only shot 50 of those. I'm an auto mechanic, so I can get my wheel weights for free. We don't do a lot of tire work, but I've got more than enough to get started.

The price of jacketed bullets got me looking at lead bullets. Then looking at lead bullets got me got me researching casting boolits. It's a vicious cycle, I tells ya.

Thanks in advance for everything I'll learn here!

45nut
08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
The price of jacketed bullets got me looking at lead bullets.

Yep! Some INSANE prices out there. For the cost of a few boxes of FLGC's [full length gas checks] you can purchase the beginnings of a kit to make your OWN boolits and be independent of the supply failures and cast your own BOOLITS.

hedgehog
09-30-2009, 04:01 PM
hello everyone. been coming to this site for a year now, just decided to register. great info , the very best out there for casting info.

Thanks

tulsadave2003
10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
new guy here too, just wish i knew enough to ask some questions, seems i dont know enough yet, but plan on starting with a lee 6 mold cavity for 9mm.

blaster
10-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Just got 2 new molds in the mail today. That makes 4.

buckweet
10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi, Dead Eye, welcome, you found "The Place". :-D

For Dead Eye, and you other lurkers out there as well, this is the place for getting answers to questions and learning the ins and outs of casting and how to shoot 'em after you cast 'em.

We've got chemists, machinists, mechanical and design engineers, physicists, mathematicians, and many, many other professional types among our ranks here, but more important than those guys we've got a whole bunch more who know what's going on about how cast boolits work! :Fire:

:brokenima

I think you can find some place here where you will fit right in, and if you can't then we'll make somebody move over so you will![smilie=1:

even buckweet's ?

nouseforaname1246
11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
well i figure its about time to come on in. been lurking about for a few weeks. im pretty new to reloading in general. i just started reloading about 2 months ago. i reloaded about 1500 rounds of plated bullets (rainier and x-treme) then i stumbled across this site one day and decided to see if my gun would like cast so i bought a box of comercial cast bullets and they shot as well if not better than the plated or jacketed variety. so that sold me. then i started snagging up all the wheel weights i could find. came up empty after a few days of searching but hit the jackpot a week later when i went to buy some snow tires for my car. got 3 5 gal buckets fo free :D guy said he recycled them but would much rather give em to someone who could make better use of em. so i smelted them down and now i have around 400# of ingots from clip ons and 50# from the stick ons. figuring i now have enough lead to last a good while i ordered up a lee 10# bottom pour a rcbs thermometer a lee 6 banger mold and some liquid alox. from midway. that all got here thursday morning. i cleaned up the mold smoked it and went to town. the first couple of drops didnt turn out too well but after she warmed up it was dropping shiny new boolits at the cyclic rate :) made up about 200 before i knew it. i weighed and measured them and to my disapointment they were all measuring at .406 give or take a thousandth :x ( it was a 401 mold) so i figured it was just dirty or had some lead or somthing caught up somewhere so i took her apart and re cleaned it with mineral spirits and an old toothbrush and gave it the once over with a magnafying glass. found a few tiny burrs, cleaned them up. and then i put it back together and gave it another shot. cast another 100 boolits and measured them all. still averageing out to .406 some as much as .408[smilie=b: so i went online and ordered the lee sizer kit. that should be here by the 9th. so in the mean time i cast up and lubed another 2000 boolits. (its rather addicting) cant wait for that sizer to get here so i can load up some rounds to go shootin with. thanks for all the good info guys :drinks:
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac278/nouseforaname1246/IMG00241-20091101-0006.jpg

nouseforaname1246
11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
heh sorry that was so long kinda got carried away

stephen perry
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
A couple years ago I was looking for Cast info. I have cast for 47 years since I was 12. I have allot of equipment and many buckets and bars of lead. Cast has always been something I do every year as a filler of whatever shooting game or hunting I do.

Didn't know a couple years ago there were Cast Forums until I punched Cast Bullet in my search. Didn't see Cast Boolits first off wish I had you have an excellent Forum with so many areas to read and write on. Thanks to the other guys Forum but this is where I really wished I had started my Cast info search.

There is knowledge here among shooters and casters that I really appreciate. I want to only be a small part here.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

BuckBall
11-29-2009, 09:10 PM
I've been a member for a little while now, however, life's troubles have kept me off line preventing me from lurking lol. In other forums, I lurk, but when I have a question, then I start posting.

Linstrum
11-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey, buckweet! YUP! You bet, we'll make room for ya!

rl680

rummy64
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Been lurking long enough! I've already gotten a wealth of info. from you folks. Figured it was time for me to join in.
I'm a long time hunter and have been reloading for pistols for 16 or 17 years. Last year when ammo. went into short supply, I dug all of my equipment back out, bought some new manuals, a slew of new dies, and started experimenting with every caliber of pistol that I owned. I worked with mostly jacketed boolets, but had good succes with some hard cast bullets that I bought from a castmaster that I first found at a gun show. His prices were right, and the bullets were very accurate in everything I loaded them in. From 9mm up to some hotter loads in a friends .45 colt, which were 300g swc.
My plan to help make winter pass quicker this year is to start loading for rifle. With none other than the .35 remington to start. That's a pretty popular caliber on here for cast bullets, and the poeple who believe in the old/ under rated caliber like I do, are passionate about it.
I am by no means an expert at anything, but hopefully I can return a favor from my experiences to someone who is having a similar experience! Believe me... I've had a couple!
(especially loading ww296 in that .45 colt!)
Sorry to be long winded....but thanks for having me onboard!

smokepole
12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I guess that is what I have become...I started in this hobby back in the 60's and have learned and enjoyed doing so. I hesitate to add my two cents worth because of the knowledge that you folks present. Hard to come up with something better or a trick that has not been mentioned. Therefore, if I have a question I will ask it. In the meantime I will observe.:cbpour::redneck:

mj1angier
12-18-2009, 02:29 PM
New guy checking in. Lurking about 1 month, casting about 2 months, reloading about 1.5 years.
Casting 9mm, .380, .357, 30-30.
Using a old cast iron pot for cleaning up WW, a small cast iron pot with dipper to pour into molds. So far only have Lee molds, but they seam to be working fine.

Thanks for everyone hard work and wealth of info. Learn something new each time I log in.

many ponies
12-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I read posts here almost daily.
i seldom have much to say.
I cast for 45/70,, 50/90,, and others.
I really enjoy reading what you have to say.
I never have experienced a lot of problems, but can read through the posts and usualy find an answer for any i have.
I am guilty of lead mining, havent got it down to a science yet but get all i need.
i designed a special rake for mining the pistol berm at the local range.
right now i am obsessed with shooting an 8 mm mauserwith lead boolits.
i like really big boolits,,, as evidenced by my love for 45/70-,,,50/90 sharps.
Anyone know the biggest boolet ever for an 8mm mauser?

MP

Bullshop Junior
12-28-2009, 12:22 AM
many ponies
We did a group buy for a 250gn 8mm that works very well in 8x57 milsurps.

HORNET
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
many ponies,
If you like the less common calibers you'll find Mid-South Shooters Supply to be your friend. They frequently have the 8mm Maximum available as well as it's slightly smaller brother the 8mm Carabiner. IIRC, Buckshot broke a military stock getting too enthusiastic with the Maximum. They also have goodies like the 6.5 Cruise Missile and the .22 Bator on perpetual backorder......If you just need a slightly larger diameter on an 8mm, Lee has a stock C.329-205-1R for those .326/.327 barrels.

many ponies
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
bullshop:
Thanks for reply. Now your talking my language, 250 grainer sounds like honey tastes to a bear. I supose the group buy is a done thing? Can you tell me more, boolit design, paper patch, bore rider?
The only mold I have for 8mm is a real old ideal 323470 that I have had a long time, but never used.
I am presently putting a turk in 8mm on a laminated stock to use for cast.
thanks
MP

many ponies
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Hornet:
Thanks for reply, Is the 8mm maximum the same boolit as bulshop jr. spoke of? (250 gr).
I am going over to midsouth and snoop around
As i told bullshop jr, i only have a old Ideal mold 323470 at this time.
I had another mil surp mauser but put a 308 barrell on it.
I'm really looking forward to getting online with a heavy 8mm, but don't want to break stocks or shoulders.. ha
Thanks again
MP

HORNET
12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
many ponies,
The 8mm Maximum is listed as 225 gr but frequently runs up to 250. You might want to check the throating using that 323470 (a fine boolit in it's own right). That was designed around loose, worn military chambers and there have been reports of chambering problems. Do a search by post under 8mm Maximum and also check this:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11820

wiersy111
01-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm guilty of lurking in the shadows....but now I've seen the light!

I've been reloading for about 30+ years, ever since I could pull the handle on grandpa's press with out mashing his fingers.

I just started shooting cast boolits in the past year since I bought a Magnum Research BFR 45-70 ( first handgun). My new love is a H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70, the 45-70 is just so mush fun to shoot.

I'm in central Minnesota so the winters get kinda long so all the signs from the shooting gods point me to a need to cast boolits.

I haven't done any posting for the simple fact that there is sooooo much info here to absorb that I haven't had time.

My son and I rang in the New Year at the range with a chilly temp of -4* yesterday. The thermometer dipped to -28* this morning so I officially have time.

I am just starting to collect materials and equipment to start casting so I will have a lot of questions in the very near future.

Dale53
01-03-2010, 01:16 AM
wiersy111;
Welcome to the "Wild Bunch"!

The information is here, that is for SURE!

I also suggest you get a copy of Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" - read it twice and keep it handy as questions come up. I have been casting, reloading, and shooting a LOT for about sixty years and I am still VERY active in this sport. I find that I am still learning...

Dale53

wiersy111
01-03-2010, 02:51 AM
As soon as I get to a town with more then a gas station, post office, and a bar, the Lyman book is on the top of my shopping list.

Dale53
01-03-2010, 03:09 AM
wiersy111;
Note that there are (or soon will be) TWO editions currently available from Midway at discount prices:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Lyman%27s%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

I can recommend the 3rd Edition without reservation. Frankly, it is so good that I would suggest getting it now and maybe considering the new (soon to be available) edition at a later date. Lyman has dropped some fine revolver moulds (still seen at gun shows, etc) and I doubt the new edition will have any information on these (and that will be a near CRIME). Hence, my suggestion to get the 3rd Edition, first). Most of the loads are pressure tested and VERY useful for both rifle and pistol.

Regarding the new, soon to be by Mike Venturino. I have a couple of Mike's books and they have been VERY useful to me. I am a particular fan of his book on the Single Action Colt Revolvers complete with loading details, etc including very good information on most all of the calibers with black powder. I suspect the new Lyman Manual by Mike will be quite good, also.

So, get the 3rd Edition while it is still available (it is rapidly disappearing from most sources). Then later, when you get a chance, check out the 4th Edition.

FWIW
Dale53

waksupi
01-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Welcome aboard to all the new guys. Don't forget to take advantage of the 20% discount on loob grooves, for the next hour!

alamogunr
01-03-2010, 03:09 PM
wiersy111;
Note that there are (or soon will be) TWO editions currently available from Midway at discount prices:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Lyman%27s%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Regarding the new, soon to be by Mike Venturino. I have a couple of Mike's books and they have been VERY useful to me. I am a particular fan of his book on the Single Action Colt Revolvers complete with loading details, etc including very good information on most all of the calibers with black powder. I suspect the new Lyman Manual by Mike will be quite good, also.

So, get the 3rd Edition while it is still available (it is rapidly disappearing from most sources). Then later, when you get a chance, check out the 4th Edition.

FWIW
Dale53

GREAT! I had given up on there ever being a 4th edition. It being by Mike Venturino is another big plus. I wish Lyman was as attentive to the rest of their casting business.

John
W.TN

AKsoldier
01-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I found this forum on Bullshop's webpage. I'm going to be a customer of his until I get up and running myself. I know didley squat about casting, but it's something I plan to get into.

A little about me: I'm an avid outdoorsman originally from California (don't hold that against me). I currently live in Wasilla, Alaska when I'm not deployed, as I am now. (Afghanistan) I'm in the 4th brigade, airborne 25th infantry division US Army, stationed at Fort Richardson.

Married, four kids (so far) and I love hunting, fishing, riding ATVs and snowmachines, motorcycles, hiking, camping, shooting, etc.

The guns I will be casting for once I get started are a Marlin 1895M (450 Marlin) and a S&W 460V. The rest of my guns are better suited to modern jacketed bullets. (1911 45 ACP, Marlin XS7 .243, Remington 770 .300 WM) I suppose I could probably cast for the 1911, and I may have a go at some slugs for the old Mossberg 500.

I'm an avid handloader, and currently about 75% of the ammo I fire is handloads. I usually only buy factory ammo if I need new brass.

I'm looking forward to learning the craft, and maybe someday I'll even be able to offer some words of wisdom of my own. :wink:

Dale53
01-14-2010, 11:26 AM
AKsoldier;
First of all, I thank you, from the bottom of my heart for your service to your (and my) country. Thank you!

Secondly, the 1911 .45 ACP is PERFECT for cast bullets. I have shot well over 100,000 rounds of my cast bullets through a 1911. The 1911 is the ideal platform for cast bullets and the .45 ACP is an excellent cartridge for this work.

You have a variety of bullet forms to choose from (my choice is the H&G #68 200 gr SWC for both target and SERIOUS work). If you prefer the 230 gr weight (there is much to commend it) the Lee Truncated cone is an excellent candidate. It has the original weight, feeds well, and has a flat nose for better "knock down" power. If you must shoot the original round nose (not my choice) then the Lyman 452374 is a good one.

Keep in touch with us while you are deployed and after you get back.

Dale53

Bullshop
01-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Welcome again Matt!!!
This would be a good place to ask about what boolit diameter for your 460 S&W.
Blessings!!!
BIC/BS

Tazman1602
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey AKsoldier, Thank you for your service to this country and that .45acp is PERFECTLY suited to cast bullets! Dan is a great guy and he'll take care of you great as far as cast goes.

You can run cast throught that 300 winnie too but not at magnum velocities, still the more you shoot at paper the more familiar you get with the rifle!

and last but not least, don't expect to save any money by casting and reloading!!! WELCOME!!!!

Art

AKsoldier
01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Gents, thanks for the welcome! I suppose the 1911 would be a prime candidate for casting - low velocity so there's not much risk of leading. I guess I just never really considered casting for it because I've been handloading so long for 45 ACP with jacketed bullets. That might actually be the best one to "cut my teeth" on for casting.

Dale53 - My 1911 is new - I'll be picking it up when I get home. It's a Para Ordnance hi-cap. (Got a deal on it - commemorative pistol for my brigade for this deployment) I'll probably try a few different bullet profiles with my handloads first to see what feeds, then I'll have a better idea of what boolit molds to get.

Dan - thanks! I'll do that.

Tazman - too late! I've already saved quite a bit of money handloading. But then, I'm a frugal fella when it comes to equipment anyway. I've been using the Lee anniversary kit for a few years now, and it works fine. It's probably paid for itself at least twice so far.

As for casting for the 300 WM, I have a good supply (about 500) of cheap jacketed bullets, most of which I've picked up at gun shows for practice. I'll use those for everyday shooting, and save my Swift A Frames and Nosler partitions for the hunting loads.

Tazman1602
01-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Gents, thanks for the welcome!

Tazman - too late! I've already saved quite a bit of money handloading. But then, I'm a frugal fella when it comes to equipment anyway. I've been using the Lee anniversary kit for a few years now, and it works fine. It's probably paid for itself at least twice so far.

As for casting for the 300 WM, I have a good supply (about 500) of cheap jacketed bullets, most of which I've picked up at gun shows for practice. I'll use those for everyday shooting, and save my Swift A Frames and Nosler partitions for the hunting loads.

LOL! You're in good company here AK. BTW when you get home if you want to try some 180gr cast gas checked heat treated cast bullets in that 300 winnie give me a shout and I'll stick a few in the mail to you..................just for going to the sandbox.

Art

DevilDog83
01-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Aksoldier,
Welcome to a great forum and thank for your service from an aging Devil Dog. When you get home, PM me your address and your first box of lead ingots is on me as a way of saying thanks and welcome home. With 4 kids you don't need to be bying your lead, I'll send you some and you spend the lead money on something for the kids. PM me your shipping address and some lead is on the way to you