PDA

View Full Version : Excellent service from Lyman.......

Larry Gibson
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Couple weeks ago my Mag 20 furnace went TU, appeared the heating element went out. I ran a search here and found out that taking it apart and trying to fix it myself was way over my non electrical skills. So I boxed it up and shipped it to Lyman. Cost $36 for the quick delivery. I've had the Mag 20 for 10 years and have cast a bajillion bullets with it. Obviously the warrenty was way expired.

Just got a nice call from a very nice lady at Lyman's service department. They had shipped the fixed Mag 20 back to me Friday. Seems the heating element was just fine but one of the wires to it was to close and got burned through. She said that was a factory defect and they honored the warrenty: no charge! They had fixed it and tested it by melting lead to which the furnace measured up to new factory specs. Wow, can't get any better service than that. Thank you Lyman.

Looks like I'll be back in the bullet casting business.

Larry Gibson

NVcurmudgeon
11-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I have no idea how Lyman got a reputation for bad servce. Back arund 1970 I had one of their furnaces which developed an insufficient heatng condition. I made a lucky guess that it was the thermostat and sent a letter off to Lyman, expecting to be told to send the furnace back. Instead, they sent a thermostat no charge. About ten years ago I sent back a leaking 450 and just as I was expecting a letter or E-mail telling me how much repairs would be, they sent me a brand new 450 no charge. So far, Lyman is batting 1.000 with me.

Ken O
11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm glad to here Lyman's response. I have not needed thier sevice yet. There is no industry that has the customer service that the firearms related industry does.
We all know about the garage that burned down with a Dillon 550 in it, the guy sent the molten mass back and it was replaced, a brillent PR move in my mind. I have called RCBS and got stuff replaced free that I admittily abused and offered to pay. Lee has sent funace parts that burned out for free.

One of the best examples for me was last year when I was working up a load and I hit the Chrony with a 6.5 142gr bullet at 2800 fps. The Chrony exploded, I shoveled the parts in a flat rate box and shipped it back to Chony. I figured they would get a good laugh out of it, and just wanted to see what they would say. I got a call from thier customer service saying they were going to fix it, but would cost me $30. I said no problem! They sent me a brand new in the box unit.

454PB
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
In general, I think the reloading, casting, and shooting tool suppliers are the most responsive, understanding, and courteous companies in existance. Years ago, I had some problems with Lyman products and I thought their response was slow and less than other big names have given me, but recently my dealings with them have improved. I'm glad to hear your's have as well.

Bret4207
11-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Think about it- You can spend $1500.00 sticking an expensive ad in a gun rag, or spend $10.00 and get this kind of free press. Makes sense to me.

45r
11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
My old rcbs pro-melter wouldn't heat up my alloy over 720 degrees.I sent it in and it came back with allmost everything new.Looks like brand new again.Quite happy with they're service.Sounds like the reloading companies are doing a good job of taking care of they're customers.Thanx, it's appreciated I'm sure from all of us that like to hunt and shoot.

GP100man
11-15-2007, 08:44 PM
ive cast fer a spell to & a +1 for lyman here ,even when i bought used tools theyve stood behind em !!!

GP100man

Typecaster
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Bret—

Back in 1991, I did the advertising for a Pearl Harbor Commemorative 1911. Since the guy holding the purse strings didn't have much capital to work with, my recommendation for the most bang for the buck was a half-page 4-color ad in Guns & Ammo. The insertion (magazine) charges alone were about $4500, IIRC, and that was 15 years ago. Print advertising hasn't come down in price since then, either.

I think you're understating the value of good PR moves...

Of course, this line of thought might make the powers that be consider accept paid ads on this site.