PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Summit press: It does exist!!!

Love Life
11-09-2013, 11:33 PM
My RCBS Summit press was on my porch today. I got the special edition red, white, and blue press. Below are my initial thoughts:

Before unboxing: This press is heavy! Feels nice and solid.

Unboxing: This press is heavy. The colors are vibrant and the press looks very well machined and assembled. The shaft is already coated in grease.

Assembly: I screwed the handle in. Done.

Mounting: Drilled two holes, ran some bolts thought, tightened them up, and done.

Die installation: Screwed the die in. Done

Shell holder installation: Snapped right in and was held secure.

Initial brass sizing: For this test I used machine gun fired 308 brass. Using unique case lube it went well. The brass required some effort to size, but was not unbearable and did not stress the press. The base did not move under load. Very solid.

Summary: So far the Summit press is exactly what I expected it to be. It is rugged and robust. It also looks cool and has no overhang. Tomorrow I will seating some bullets and stuff and running the loaded rds over my concentricity tools to see how it goes. One thing I did notice is that there is very minor side to side play in the top die station. I will need to test this, but I believe that may actually be a good thing as it will allow the dies and stuff to self align.

Love Life
11-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Final picture:

carbine86
11-09-2013, 11:39 PM
I like those "fancy" colors let us know how you like it after a few thousand rounds.

starmac
11-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Before actually using it I think I would find some longer bolts. lol
My lgs has a couple on the shelf, but they are in the box, I didn't realize they were so colorful.

Love Life
Sure will....some time in 2026 when I get that many loaded!

Starmac- I looked around, but I couldn't find any longer bolts. It's very easy to install and remove presses this way with the bolts up. Saves me money by not having to buy bench plates and stuff.

ultramag
That red, white, and blue paint job is pretty slick. Didn't know that was an option.

I watched a video with a guy loading on a portable set-up at a match and one with a RCBS rep at SHOT show explaining why only two bolts were needed to anchor the base. Is it just mounted in a 2x4 here with no additional support? Does it seem to be that stress free to the bench when using?

Bullshop Junior
11-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Not sure how i feel about it. Im used to the rockchucker.

Love Life
11-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Ultramag- It is mounted to my 2X10 board bench top. Didn't even flex the board when sizing the MG fired 308 brass. It is a very solid press and works smoothly. I want to seat some bullets with the normal handle 1st before getting a sort handle.

Bullshop Jr.- I've had a rockchucker and currently also own a classic cast (note all the holes drilled in the bench top) and I don't believe this press was designed and built to replace anything. It is just another option on the table (or bench) for reloaders. I don't like bench overhang. As you can see my 550 sits on the strong mount.

The classic cast will be relegate to bullet sizing and MG fired brass sizing duties. Nothing wrong with the Classic Cast, but I like the Summit better. It also adds a little pizazz to the bench.

starmac
11-10-2013, 01:02 AM
I like the fact there is no overhang. I may just have to have one when the four I currently have wears out. lol

boltaction308
11-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Where / how do you get the special colored version?

Bullshop Junior
11-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Where / how do you get the special colored version?

That was my next question. I think i like it!

Love Life
11-10-2013, 01:47 AM
It's a special edition limited to 2013 units being made. You just have to search them out on line and snatch them up! I got number 0041.

r1kk1
11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
My RWB version will be this week too! Midway has them. Some of the proceeds go to disabled veterns and only 2013 will be made. I wonder what number mine is. RCBS stated the press will not replace anything in their lineup. I can see the die plate may be a platform of things to come like the old Wamadet. Lovelife, can the LNL conversion be used in the Summit? I like the idea of an ambidextrous press and with the COAX that will be two that are on my bench.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Summit_Reloading_Press.pdf

This week I have two presses that were back ordered coming. Now to get rock dock plates for them, a visit to inline fabrication and Mike for plates for the COAX. I may order another LNL press conversion if the Summit is threaded right.

Congrats Lovelife!

Take care

r1kk1

Ickisrulz
11-10-2013, 08:51 AM
It looks like a bomb pop.

r1kk1
11-10-2013, 08:53 AM
It looks like a bomb pop.

LOL!!! Memories!

r1kk1

mdi
11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks and looking forward to more test reports!

As a lifelong mechanic/machinist I gotta say this; get a hack saw and cut them bolts off!

Bzcraig
11-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Eye candy on the reloading bench.......doesn't get any better than that. Is it sick to call it sexy?;)

Love Life
11-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks and looking forward to more test reports!

As a lifelong mechanic/machinist I gotta say this; get a hack saw and cut them bolts off!

Nope. Not cutting the bolts off. I've had those same bolts for over 7 years and they have mounted several lubsizers, presses, anchored a porch, etc. I could flip them over though...

I'll be loading some 8mm Mauser today.

LUBEDUDE
11-10-2013, 03:34 PM

As a klutz, I would have to either cut or flip those bolts. I KNOW that I would be banging , scraping, and cutting my knuckles on those things. And thus, shouting expletives like a gang banger!

Love Life
11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
I just watch where I put my hands. It's worked well so far.

brtelec
11-10-2013, 04:36 PM
It looks good in those colors. I like the fact that it does not have to overhang the edge. Sure does give you a lot more mounting options. I wish they had done it with a Forster type slot for the dies. It sure speeds up change over and keeps alignment perfect. Nice press I like it. Oh and the bolts would drive me crazy! LOL

Jim Kitchen
11-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I think the colors are vibrant and very nice. It's a really colorful addition to your bench!

Glad to hear it works well too.

Love Life
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I've been loading ammo on this press all day today and I am VERY impressed. There is a ton of adjustment (Horizontal) in the press just with the linkage. Behind the press on the back of the cap (red part) are two bolts that you can also untighten and allows you to move it side to side. I loosened the bolts, brought the press and die down on a case, and then tightened them back. Worked fantastic!!

The die holding portion is kept alignedish by two bolts in the back of it that run up and down a channel. This allows side to side play as well.

Running the rds over the super cool shooter tools and this press gives up NOTHING to the classic cast and Rock chucker when it comes to loading concentric ammo. Not only that, but it hung dang near toe to toe with the coax for consistent seating and lack of run out. True story (I used to have a COAX and my notes from loaded ammo reflect this).

Case sizing: On all my normal brass fired in factory (non-machine gun) chambers, sizing effort was not bad. More needed than with the traditional press, but not hanging off the press like a gorilla bad.

Bullet seating: Smooth and allows a lot of feel. Get the sort handle.

Now for the ugly: RCBS missed the mark on cutting a slot in the front to make die changes easy like on the CO-AX. Oh well. If you have bear paw hands it is best to install dies with the die head in the down position as it is a little tight ( area) when in the up position for installing dies.

No on press priming. I already knew this, but I just wanted to reiterate.

Also, I did not cut myself on the bolts nor did I mash my knuckles. Odd....

Final thoughts: I like the press. If you take the time to play with it you will be pleasantly surprised by concentricity of your loaded ammo (assuming you did your part on case prep). I feel the press is well worth the money I spent.

This is my last write up on the press for posterity and now I am just going to enjoy the thing.

tonyjones
11-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Is this a copy or design modification of the old Hollywood single stage presses?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Smoke4320
11-11-2013, 01:31 PM
That's a great looking press.. Thanks for the report as well .. makes the decision to purchase much easier

Char-Gar
11-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I find that press to be interesting and sorta Hollywoodesque. I don't have an emotional connection with bolts, so they would have been hacksawed off pretty darn quick you betcha.

Love Life
11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
I flipped the bolts this morning. Everybody may rest easy now.

Sweetpea
11-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I flipped the bolts this morning. Everybody may rest easy now.

Thanks, Dick...

I kept having dreams about bloody knuckles.

jmort
11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
The bolts were a non-issue for me but the information about the press is useful and appreciated. Any press that is an out of the box/cookie-cutter design is interesting. Now the bolt-phobes are going to get Pancho Love Life a thigh-divot.

mold maker
11-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Is there a method of collecting spent primers when sizing?

Love Life
11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Yes. There is a little cup that slides onto two screws. You can see the empty screw holes in the front of the base of the press. It works very well. Better than the Rockchucker spent primer catcher.

Garyshome
11-11-2013, 03:09 PM
That's really cheap! Not cutting the bolts off. I've had those same bolts for over 7 years. Nice press though!

mdi
11-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Nope. Not cutting the bolts off. I've had those same bolts for over 7 years and they have mounted several lubsizers, presses, anchored a porch, etc. I could flip them over though...

I'll be loading some 8mm Mauser today.
OK, if you ain't shortening them at least cover/pad them. If those were on my bench they'd be covered in blood! My blood!:rolleyes:

I agree the bolts are a non-issue, just having fun. Thanks for the report, and I may just put one on my Santa Claus list!

Love Life
11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
I flipped the bolts back over so now they stick up again.

Muahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Wayne Smith
11-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Nobody has mentioned this, what I like about that design is that all the action and stress is down at the base of the press, not up at the top of a mechanism. That alone gives it huge strength and stability. I know of no other press that works like this. Someone mentioned a Wells press, that may have the same feature. The Hollywood still puts all the action at the top of the admittedly over engineered shaft.

9.3X62AL
11-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Very slick and well-engineered tool. If you have a positive ram priming unit, I would think on-press priming would be possible.

M-Tecs
11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
I flipped the bolts back over so now they stick up again.

Muahahahahahahaha!!!!!

You need one pointing up and one pointing down. That way everyone is HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!

r1kk1
11-13-2013, 08:04 PM
My wife received number 0024 of 2013 of the RWB summit and my coax! I'm 100 miles away. :(

Friday evening I get to ck out mine lovelife!

r1kk1

Love Life
11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Dang. You got number 24! I wonder who got number 1...

You'll enjoy the press. The more I use mine the more I come to appreciate the design and it's capabilities. Very well though out on the part of RCBS.

Alvarez Kelly
11-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Dang. You got number 24! I wonder who got number 1...

I think #1 was auctioned off for an NRA benefit.

I have #49. :-)

Love Life
11-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Here is an article from Accurateshooter.com

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/06/rcbs-summit-press-works-great-in-the-shop-and-in-the-field/

Love Life
11-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Here is an article from Accurateshooter.com

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/06/rcbs-summit-press-works-great-in-the-shop-and-in-the-field/

Chev. William
11-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Flipping the bolts would make them Knee Hazards. You might think about getting shorter bolts, adding "wood" or "Fender" washers on the head end under the bench to reduce the possibility of the heads pulling into the bench plank, and using Acorn nuts to cover the ends. Make a much nicer looking installation.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Love Life
11-14-2013, 07:49 PM
I no longer use bolts. I super glued the press to the bench... :smile:

starmac
11-14-2013, 08:31 PM

Glad to hear that, lots of folks were sure worried those bolts would get the best of you. lol

Love Life
11-14-2013, 11:33 PM
I know. I feel bad about removing the bolts since they were obviously the most important things in this thread. I had to...you know...for the children.

starmac
11-14-2013, 11:37 PM
I am afraid you have effectively unofficially killed this thread sir. lol

Seaweed02
11-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum, and as a matter of fact this is my first post. I think the press is absolutely gorgeous. I want one, no doubt, with or without the bolts. I served for 24 years in the U.S. Navy, so the color scheme suits me to a "T" as I am a patriotic SOB.

Love Life
11-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Cabelas has them in stock, and welcome aboard!!

mdi
11-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I know. I feel bad about removing the bolts since they were obviously the most important things in this thread. I had to...you know...for the children.
Si! Por los ninos!

tonyjones
11-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Love Life,

We'll know that you're really dedicated when you post that you've super glued yourself to that bench!

LOL,

TJ

r1kk1
11-16-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97230169@N08/sets/72157634006315246/

The Hornady LNL bushing conversion works in the Summit and Ultramag.

I have sent off templates to Pat for a Rock Dock on the Summit and Champion press.

take care

r1kk1

David2011
11-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Too bad about the superglue. Coudn't ya just cover 'em with some pieces of old heater hose? That would satisfy even the most shadetree among us. :kidding:

David

Love Life
11-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I put the bolts back in....

Wayne Smith
11-16-2013, 10:09 PM
...Just to keep the thread running!

march41
11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Natchez has them in stock,1-800-2517839

Love Life
11-24-2013, 02:40 AM
I used the short handle just fine for FL sizing .243 brass, but the long handle is much better for 8X57 brass. I also completely disassembled the press and used Lucas Red and Tacky #2 grease to lube everything. The press is now whisper quiet and ultra smooth.

Three44s
11-24-2013, 03:14 AM
We should take up a collection and get LL some proper bolts!

(Nice press BTW!!)

Three 44s

r1kk1
11-24-2013, 08:14 AM
The Hornady LNL converter bushings works in the Summit! Have ordered the short handle kit. Amazing how you can set this press up to be so sensitive to bullet seating.

Take care

r1kk1

armedmoose
11-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Man why did I have to look at this thread..... Cabela's Still has the Red, White and Blue in Stock... Free shipping and RCBS Rebate... I am a sucker for free shipping and rebates...

Wayne Smith
11-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Free shipping and rebates .. No, my Hollywood Sr. would not get jealous. I just don't need another press.

mdi
11-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I put the bolts back in....
Good for you!. It's your press, your bench and you know what's best fer you. I was a heavy duty construction equipment mechanic/electrician and when I saw those bolts I immediately thought of the times I've ripped flesh off my arms, legs, butt, on bolts sticking up, from squeezing into a tight spot to work on a crane or man-lift. A careful operator won't have no trouble wif them bolts...[smilie=s:

Fishman
12-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Can we see another picture of the bolts?

The press is neat but those bolts. . .

Love Life
12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
You should see the Lee Classic Cast I mounted yesterday for sizing. There were THREE bolts sticking up. Miraculously I survived.

12-07-2013, 04:19 AM

If the superglue ever fails I suggest using acraglass. :mrgreen:

I liked this press so much I found and ordered one. It didn't hurt that part of the money goes to disabled vets either not to mention the red, white, and blue paint. I wonder if my old tired Rock Chucker will mind sharing space on the bench?

12-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Well my press finally showed up last night after touring 5 different UPS facilities in AZ.

I'll do some loading on it later this week.

Anyone else get one of these?

Love Life
01-23-2014, 01:59 AM
An update:

This press is still awesome and I have loaded a boat load of rifle ammo on it. Smooth as silk, Very low run out, and still looks cool.

I'd say the quality is there and I believe there will be no issues with longevity.

This press is so awesome.

Alvarez Kelly
01-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Anyone else get one of these?

Yep. I have #49. It's right next to my Dillons too!

Love Life
01-23-2014, 02:24 AM
I got #41...and it sits next to my Dillon!

Cast Bullet Engineering
01-23-2014, 02:31 AM
Could I please ask someone to measure for me what the longest round would be to fit in the opening?
And I see it is set up for 1.25" dies as well.

Thanks,
DC

TheCelt
01-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Any updates on this press???? I sure like the way this press is designed, looks to be another winner by RCBS!!! My RC II is my "go to" press for all my rifle reloading but I can sure see one of these on my bench.

Jon K
01-23-2014, 09:43 AM
With shell holder & die, there is 4 1/2" of clearance for case & boolit.

BTW...I have #120. but no Dillion to mount it next to.

Jon

Alvarez Kelly
01-23-2014, 10:05 AM
With shell holder & die, there is 4 1/2" of clearance for case & boolit.

BTW...I have #120. but no Dillion to mount it next to.

Jon

I might be able to help you fix that. :-)

Love Life
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM
^^^Solid!!

Ozark Howler
01-23-2014, 12:34 PM
My RCBS Summit Single Stage Press Review

Being a fan of single stage presses (and I’ve owned quite a few), I decided to pick up a RCBS Summit single stage press and thought I would to share a few thoughts on this press. I’m actually not sure what RCBS was trying to accomplish with this newer entry. While the concept is new for RCBS, it not new at all new to the shooting fraternity, (take a look at MEC Shot Shell, Hollywood, older Pacific presses, etc.). To me it appears to be more of a marketing project, rather than an engineering design improvement.

One claim is that it produces more accurate ammunition, I believe this could be debated heavily by any serious reloader. It does lack priming abilities, which would be somewhat of a negative to those interested in getting started in reloading. Ease of access?, actually no different than any common C press or Turret. I sometimes wonder how close they looked at the early Hollywood presses prior to working on this design. From my short experience with this press I find to be somewhat top heavy, meaning that the handle in the full upright position seems to be too long, requiring me to reach much higher than normal for a bench top press.

On the positive side, it is a well built unit, and does sizing operations with little effort (still far short of the old A2 which is still IMO their best ever heavy duty press). Being a bench top mounted press, it does make for less obstruction below the bench, this might not matter to some, but to me, I do like less obstruction.

I feel that maybe they didn’t quite hit a home run with this product and maybe should have focused on something more like a re-introduced A2, or a real H type press, both of which IMO would appeal more to the serious reloading fraternity.

One last thought, if you offer a single stage press that retails for over $280.00, it should include all the parts needed to make it a complete package, offering a shorter handle as an option for reloading shorter cases is being a little tacky, come on RCBS, you skipped the priming operation, throw in the handle?

jmort
01-23-2014, 12:47 PM
^ This seems consistent with reviews I have read. Good quality at high price and nothing special to write home to mom about.

Jon K
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
NO OVERHANG...all the force is downward...not trying to tip the bench over from overhang.

Donation to Disabled Veterans.

RCBS Lifetime Warranty.

Those are the things I looked at before buying.

Jon

ps...had Cabela's bucks to spend.

TheCelt
02-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I got SN 0085, I like the press and I do have a 650 to mount it next to!

r1kk1
02-15-2014, 02:14 PM
It will accept 1-¼" dies but don't try 50 bmg with it per RCBS! I have the LNL bushing in my RWB #24.

Take care

r1kk1

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
NO OVERHANG...all the force is downward...not trying to tip the bench over from overhang.

Your bench is built wrong if this is happening to you. Anchor it properly and you have no issues.

Love Life
02-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Your bench is built wrong if this is happening to you. Anchor it properly and you have no issues.

Or use the Summit press.

David2011
02-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Love Life,

My primary single stage press is currently a Rock Chucker II which still feels like new even though it hasn't looked new for a few decades. I have no need for on the press priming. Would this be a good trade for a RCII? I'm constantly trying to destroy my right kneecap on the RCII.

I like it and have enough Cabela's points that don't seem to be very useful these days. They don't carry or are out of stock on everything I would like to buy but they do have the Summit in stock. How feasible do you think it would be to fabricate a new shell holder adapter to let the primers drop through the center of the press so they are completely contained with no chance of escaping?

I'm on a mission to eliminate spent primers going to the floor on all of my presses.

Thanks,
David

Island Trash
02-16-2014, 11:29 PM
I got the RWB from midway #0014. Waited to post because there were some issues with it that RCBS resolved quickly (cracked upper casting). Played with it a bit before I sent it back to be repaired and liked the press overall. I ended up giving the RWB one to my father and ordered another for myself. It is a good quality press, but for heavy sizing/forming of cases, I think I will stick with the RCII. Not sure how favorably it will compare to the coax that it is sitting next to. Time will tell on that one.

Love Life
02-17-2014, 03:13 AM
Love Life,

My primary single stage press is currently a Rock Chucker II which still feels like new even though it hasn't looked new for a few decades. I have no need for on the press priming. Would this be a good trade for a RCII? I'm constantly trying to destroy my right kneecap on the RCII.

I like it and have enough Cabela's points that don't seem to be very useful these days. They don't carry or are out of stock on everything I would like to buy but they do have the Summit in stock. How feasible do you think it would be to fabricate a new shell holder adapter to let the primers drop through the center of the press so they are completely contained with no chance of escaping?

I'm on a mission to eliminate spent primers going to the floor on all of my presses.

Thanks,
David

David,

I just now saw this and apologize for taking so long to respond.

Is it a good replacement for the RCII- I've never used a RCII, but I have found the Summit to be a very good replacement for the Lee Classic Cast. Using the Summit, I have had no issues loading ammo from 9mm to 8x57. I've even tested it on sizing machine gun fired 308 brass (sized fine but I wouldn't make a habit of it). No bench overhang was a huge selling point for me. Where the Lee Classic Cast, and probably the RCII, beat out the Summit press is bullet sizing with lee dies and case forming.

The depriming system on the Summit will not need to be modified. I have loaded a bunch of rifle and pistol ammo on it, and have not had a single primer escape to the floor. The only downside to the depriming is that the primer catcher doesn't hold much. No biggie. It's quick to remove and dump.

I highly recommend you get the short handle as well. When you get the press, spend a little time fiddling with the linkage as it allows quite a bit of adjustment. I use the Summit press to load my 1,000 yd ammo, and it has exceled at that as well.

I really can't say enough good about the press.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability/knowledge.

Thank you,
Dick

Love Life
02-17-2014, 03:15 AM
I got the RWB from midway #0014. Waited to post because there were some issues with it that RCBS resolved quickly (cracked upper casting). Played with it a bit before I sent it back to be repaired and liked the press overall. I ended up giving the RWB one to my father and ordered another for myself. It is a good quality press, but for heavy sizing/forming of cases, I think I will stick with the RCII. Not sure how favorably it will compare to the coax that it is sitting next to. Time will tell on that one.

Based off of my notes, the Summit (at least mine) hangs toe to toe with the Forster. The Forster die swap is the bee's knees though!!!

r1kk1
02-17-2014, 10:45 AM
The Forster die swap is the bee's knees though!!!

You can use the LNL bushing in the Summit. I do.

The short handle is for bullet seating but I can see other uses for it as well. What I like is I can operate it left handed. The only other press in my collection that can do this is the COAX. I like the zerk fitting and hear the newer 550s have this feature. I have used the shorter handle and you get a better feel at seating but not as much as the K&M arbor press allows me to feel but more so than my other presses.

RCBS stated the Summit is not made to replace the RC.

It has been posted in another thread that the Summit is very similar to the Wamadet press. It sure looks like it.

I have mine mounted to a RockDock and it is a joy to use. The 2" ram is quite heavy and as stated earlier it is top heavy. It will be the press I take to the range to work up loads from now on.

Take care

r1kk1

Island Trash
02-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the coax die change kind of spoiled me. I mainly got the summit to use as a range press for working up loads away form my normal loading equipment. I definitely like the way it can be mounted with no overhang.

The slight overhang and jaw swaps on the coax are the only negatives with the coax for me. Both presses are excellent and I am sure will be turning out accurate ammunition 100 years from now.

Love Life
02-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Correct in that the short handle is for bullet seating. I also use it for expanding case mouths on pistol ammo.

Island Trash
02-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Just tried out Pat Marlins Checkmakers in the Summit. It works well, but you can't run the auto eject plunger that fits in the forming die. I just pulled the forming die from the shell holder, turned it over and used the ejector from the bottom to eject the completed gas check.

It is a bit slower than running them on the rockchucker, but other than the ejection issue, I like the Summit more for making gas checks. Maybe someday, someone smarter than me will figure out how to run Pat's checkmaker dies on the Summit more efficiently.

David2011
02-26-2014, 10:21 PM
David,

I just now saw this and apologize for taking so long to respond.

I really can't say enough good about the press.

I highly recommend you get the short handle as well.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability/knowledge.

Thank you,
Dick

Dick,

No worries. I've been hooked up pretty hard and am just now getting back to this.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just spent my Cabela's points. This is the first thing I've actually wanted that they've had in ages. Of course, they don't seem to have the short handle in their inventory. If it's the same diameter as the other handles I'll modify one that I already have.

I'll add to the thread when it arrives. Thanks!

David

Ickisrulz
03-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I ran across this product...for guys wanting to use the Wilson type dies.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-arbor-die-conversion-kit-for-summit-press-09294.html

r1kk1
03-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I ran across this product...for guys wanting to use the Wilson type dies.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-arbor-die-conversion-kit-for-summit-press-09294.html

You ROCK! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Did I say THANK YOU?

Ordering one now!

Take care

r1kk1

LUBEDUDE
03-08-2014, 04:13 PM
I saw that when I ordered the short handle for my Summit Press the other day. Cabellas didn't have any.

My Press just came in and is #106.

seagiant
03-08-2014, 04:59 PM
I saw that when I ordered the short handle for my Summit Press the other day. Cabellas didn't have any.

My Press just came in and is #106.

Hi,
I have to ask! Why would someone with the nicest (and biggest) Hollywood collection want a (I'm under whelmed) Summit Press????

LUBEDUDE
03-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Hi,
I have to ask! Why would someone with the nicest (and biggest) Hollywood collection want a (I'm under whelmed) Summit Press????

A few reasons:

Design- it is NOT like a Hollywood as others have said it is, just because it has a 2" ram, though puny compared to a Hollywood. However, it is a totally different design, aka,Walmadet (sp?), whatever that foreign press is. Being a collector that intrigues me.

I also think down the road this press may not make it and become a collector's item, especially the Red/White/Blue limited edition.

Three, I've been curious from the get go. It sure is smooth and has the footprint no bigger than your hand. And it's not a knee-knocker.

Four - Red,White, and Blue is just Cool. It don't hurt that proceeds go to Vet programs.

These reasons may not sell you or convince you. Not trying to. But maybe you'll understand how my Press Addicted Brain works!

AbitNutz
03-10-2014, 10:37 AM
I just ordered a Summit from Brownells and a Hornady die bushing conversion.....

Love Life
03-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Enjoy it!! The more I use the press, the more I realize how much I love the dang thing. Silky smooth!!

detox
03-10-2014, 01:25 PM
How do you inspect a press to see if it is concentric has no excessive deflection?

seagiant
03-10-2014, 06:38 PM
A few reasons:

Design- it is NOT like a Hollywood as others have said it is, just because it has a 2" ram, though puny compared to a Hollywood. However, it is a totally different design, aka,Walmadet (sp?), whatever that foreign press is. Being a collector that intrigues me.

I also think down the road this press may not make it and become a collector's item, especially the Red/White/Blue limited edition.

Three, I've been curious from the get go. It sure is smooth and has the footprint no bigger than your hand. And it's not a knee-knocker.

Four - Red,White, and Blue is just Cool. It don't hurt that proceeds go to Vet programs.

These reasons may not sell you or convince you. Not trying to. But maybe you'll understand how my Press Addicted Brain works!

Hi Lube,
Well...you guys enjoy,I really like ALL presses as a general rule! This one didn't really make me want to sale my Hollywood and buy one. Wish they had made it bigger and taller. At least it would of loaded everything up to 50 cal and filled a nich. Everyone else could of just bought a RC and been done with it!

AbitNutz
03-10-2014, 08:00 PM
You know seagiant, the Hollywood design you have there is really neat and makes me dream a bit. What makes the Summit unique is the fact the the die moves up and down and the shell remains stationary. I believe the Dillon 1050 is the only other press that does that.

Looking at the Hollywood design, instead of attaching the linkage arms to the bottom shell station but running them to the top die station...the die would then move up and down, the shell would stay put and the mechanical advantage would be even greater.

Hey! Anyone a machinist?!

seagiant
03-10-2014, 10:59 PM
You know seagiant, the Hollywood design you have there is really neat and makes me dream a bit. What makes the Summit unique is the fact the the die moves up and down and the shell remains stationary. I believe the Dillon 1050 is the only other press that does that.

Looking at the Hollywood design, instead of attaching the linkage arms to the bottom shell station but running them to the top die station...the die would then move up and down, the shell would stay put and the mechanical advantage would be even greater.

Hey! Anyone a machinist?!

Hi,
Don't get me wrong here, I used a Bonanza Co-Ax press for 20 years. It was my first press and cost $150! That was a lot of money at the time and I had to put it on lay-away to afford it. I thought it would make me the most accurate ammo,because the die could "self align" with the casing!

To tell the truth with the J type shellholders, EVERY press used will align its self! Just saying IMO don't get lost in the sauce! As long as a press is well made to begin with, it will do the job! Everything else is up to the preference of the owner!

AbitNutz
03-10-2014, 11:45 PM
I agree that one of the under appreciated attributes of the Co-Ax is that it allows bothe the brass and the die to "float" into alignment. I recently read an article at Accurate Shooter that promotes the use of #17 rubber O-rings under the dies to allow a bit of "float" in all directions. I'm going to try it. At about 2 bucks for 10 it's a cheap experiment.

I tried to buy a Co-Ax press today...I'm fascinated by them, like the Summit but the whole planet went out of stock for a price increase it seams. It looks like the going rate is $305.00 plus the cost of the additional shell jaws.

BTW...what do the optional jaws fit, how difficult are they to change and how often do you use them?

I also read that there is a conversion to use conventional shell holders...ever tempted?

seagiant
03-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi,
Well,I sold my Co-ax years ago and the only reason it hurt a little was that it was my first press! I had drank the Kool-aid and it took other presses to wean me off of it,but once I came to realize all are about the same, as far as accurate ammo (for me) It lost it's luster and other things cried to be tried out!

I only had 2 sets of shellholder jaws and that was regular and small? They are only tricky as there are springs involved. Have a cat in the room when you swap them out so when the spring launches across the room the cat will run to it and show you where it at!!!

Love Life
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
The making of accurate ammo starts well before you throw powder and seat that bullet. Presses are inanimate mechanical objects. If you tell it to produce garbage ammo, then it will. Unless a press is significantly out of whack or your dies are out of whack, innacurate ammo is the fault of the loader.

Cadillo
03-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Looks to be stout, and very interesting to say the least, but the engineers should be flogged for leaving out an onboard priming system. I'll stick with my Co-Ax, which has the best priming system I've ever tried. Always seats at 0.005" below flush on cases that have been properly prepped. No variable "FEEL" to worry about. The tool has a mechanical stop, which removes all guesswork.

Once adjusted, dies snap in and snap out with no loss of adjustment.

Pretty colors though on that new RCBS!

GP100man
03-12-2014, 05:51 AM
My problem with the Summit Press is I use Lee auto disc measures when ever possible & don`t think there`s room to install it??

I also promised myself my next press will spit primers thru the ram, cleaner/less exposure.

Anyways I`ve read the whole thread & not 1 mention of press mounted powder measures !
Seems the measure would be moving up & down it mite make em more consistent if ya can mount it .
Maybe with a LNL qwik change bushings ??

& I use a press mounted primer system (yes 1 at the time) for small batches - - - - BUT as mentioned - - -also was looking forward to a bit better primer disposal

These are the reasons I don`t have serial #2

LUBEDUDE
03-12-2014, 06:11 PM
My problem with the Summit Press is I use Lee auto disc measures when ever possible & don`t think there`s room to install it??

I also promised myself my next press will spit primers thru the ram, cleaner/less exposure.

Anyways I`ve read the whole thread & not 1 mention of press mounted powder measures !
Seems the measure would be moving up & down it mite make em more consistent if ya can mount it .
Maybe with a LNL qwik change bushings ??

& I use a press mounted primer system (yes 1 at the time) for small batches - - - - BUT as mentioned - - -also was looking forward to a bit better primer disposal

These are the reasons I don`t have serial #2

My exposure to Lee is very limited. All I can tell you is that you have one 7/8 x14 hole to work with. If the Lee Auto Disk will work with that, there you go.

As far as the primer disposal, it is a good laugh. The cup is wimpy plastic about twice the size of a thimble. It may hold a bit over a box of large primers.

In their defense I understand why it is so small. It is in keeping with the flush mount system, i.e. no knee knocker. However, they could have made a riser and had the primers drop into a pull out tray like on the old Potters. Yeah it would cost another $20, but sooo worth it!

Love Life
03-12-2014, 06:22 PM
It's not hard to remove the primer cup, dump it, and put it back on. I'm sure one of the more genius members here is probably in the lab figuring a way to mount a tube to it so they drop straight in the trash!!!

As for the lee auto disk, I don't see it working to well, but I will give it a try when I get home and report back. I use a chargemaster so I never even considered it.

seagiant
03-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Hi,
To be fair to the press,I don't see a lack of priming on the press as a downside! If you ever use a bench mounted primer such as the RCBs Or the older Lachmillers you will never look back!

AbitNutz
03-17-2014, 06:18 AM
With the exception of my Dillon, I always use my RCBS bench primer. When loading with a single stage press, it doesn't make sense not to.

After using the Summit and Co-Ax for the past few days, I'm really impressed with both. I love the access the Summit has. The die station moving and the shell holder remaining stationary is the way it should be done.

Nothing beats the Co-Ax's shell holder system. It just rocks! The way the dies just snap in is a great example of "outside the box thinking". The Summit can mimic that by using the Hornady LnL bushing conversion.

I wish the two presses would get together and have a love child. A Summit press with a Co-Ax shell holder would pretty much be the ultimate single stage press for me.

Love Life
03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
I wish the two presses would get together and have a love child. A Summit press with a Co-Ax shell holder would pretty much be the ultimate single stage press for me.

All in the land were agreed.

AbitNutz
03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Oh...anyone having any sort of frustration with changing the Co-Ax shell plates around need to contact a gentleman that makes a custom housing for the jaws. It's heavier material so it can't ever bend but more importantly...the jaw springs are captured. They can't pop out and escape by being shot across the room. It makes changing jaws so braindead you could teach Piers Morgan to do it.

There are several videos on youtube about it. None do it justice. It's $35.00 including shipping and it's worth it.

Maybe I'll ask him to act as the Sumco-axmit midwife and machine up a conversion.

detox
03-23-2014, 12:14 PM
What advantage does the Summit press have over the O frame Rockcrusher style presses?

jmort
03-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Very good write up in last months Handloader magazine. No overhang. One of only a couple presses with a zerk fitting. Open access to shell holder. Built like a tank. Small footprint The more I consider it, the more it makes sense.

Alvarez Kelly
03-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Very good write up in last months Handloader magazine. No overhang. Only press with a zerk fitting. Open access to shell holder. Built like a tank. Small footprint The more I consider it, the more it makes sense.
My Dillon has a grease zerk. :-)

Love Life
03-23-2014, 12:49 PM
^^Yep. I still have a Classic Cast that I use for bullet sizing and stuff, but all of my rifle ammo and all of my pistol test ammo gets loaded on the Summit. Great press and well worth the money.

If I come down next weekend, Jmortimer, I'll bring the Summit and you can give it a whirl.

AbitNutz
03-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Another precision feature is that the die, rather than the shellholder, is the moving part, so everything really does go in a straight line. The only other press I'm aware of that functions like this is Dillon 1050.

Love Life
03-23-2014, 03:10 PM
I load my 1,000 yd ammo on the press. Seems to work....

MostlyOnThePaper
03-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Y'all have got me really trying to justify one of these...

detox
03-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I hate to bust your bubble. The classic O frame Rock Chucker is a better press. The Summit has way too much deflection. I can literally see it go off center (speading apart) when sizing larger 308 caliber cases. Sizing with Summit is no easier than Rock Chucker. Press is heavy so return shipping will cost me alot.:sad:

Summit may be OK for seating bullets, but lots cheaper and lighter presses can do the same, if not better.

Tighten up RCBS.

Love Life
03-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Have you measured your loaded ammo to check for run out? Has this deflection caused you to drop shots? Have you made any adjustments to the linkage to remove any deflection? Are all the nuts and bolts that are supposed to be tight, tight?

I get .002 run out using the RCBS Summit press and it shows up in my many sub MOA 600, 700, 800, 900, and 1,000 yd groups.

I won't say the Summit is better than the Rockchucker, and I won't say the RockChucker or Classic Cast is better than the Summit.

The Summit is a solid press that is an option.

detox
03-24-2014, 10:50 PM
With the Redding Competition bullet seating die and carefull sizing of cases, i can achieve very tight runout with MOST any press.

Love Life
03-24-2014, 11:00 PM
^^Exactly as I have stated a couple times here. Now, have you made any adjustments to the press and have you measured any of your loaded ammo?

To make the statement that the rock chucker is a better press just isn't correct.

detox
03-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Have you measured sized case (base of rim) to see if it is concentric. I am betting it will not be square with rifle's bolt face. Maybe my NECO gauge will tell.

Love Life
03-24-2014, 11:23 PM
And here we go... Do you use primer pocket plugs and measure the water capacity of your brass?

MostlyOnThePaper
03-24-2014, 11:26 PM
When I first got started reloading I was using one of the little aluminum Lee champion? presses with a used set of Lyman competition dies. Probably one of the cheapest presses out there, but it made good ammo. If I get one I'll still probably use the old rock chucker for sizing. I think the Summit definitely has its niche. If you lived near me I might be tempted to save you the cost of shipping it back since you don't like it.

r1kk1
03-25-2014, 12:12 AM
When I first got started reloading I was using one of the little aluminum Lee champion?

Lee Challenger

CH4D Champion

The older linkage of the Challenger was the weak link. The frame never gave me a problem.

Take care

r1kk1

MostlyOnThePaper
03-25-2014, 01:59 AM
That's it, Challenger! Nice little press for the ten or fifteen bucks I gave for it. The Lyman dies with the micrometer seater were a good deal too. Wish Lyman still offered those.

AbitNutz
03-25-2014, 03:14 AM
The Rockchucker is about $150 and the Summit is about $200. IMO, the advantages the Summit has are worth the difference.

mold maker
03-25-2014, 01:38 PM
I hadn't followed this thread till a while ago.
The RW&B Summit I got is #29. It's still in the box.
Since I ordered it, there have been some time demanding events in my life, and some things have to be set aside, for a while.
Reading this thread tells me I made a very wise decision. The RW&B colors, with numbers, and the donation to vets, made an otherwise soft decision, quick.

EDG
03-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Not for me. I have used a Rockchucker since 1971. It was not my first press. I have 6 or 7 other presses but none have displaced the Rockchucker. I see no reason to spend $200 for a Summit when that would go a long way toward a RCBS A2.

The Rockchucker is about $150 and the Summit is about $200. IMO, the advantages the Summit has are worth the difference.

detox
03-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Not for me. I have used a Rockchucker since 1971. It was not my first press. I have 6 or 7 other presses but none have displaced the Rockchucker. I see no reason to spend $200 for a Summit when that would go a long way toward a RCBS A2.

When mounted on bench my Summit press would literally rock back and forth in its base. I tried tightening the four screws that hold it to base, but fit appeared too loose (IMO this should be a press fit without slop). My Summit was adequate for light duty work such as straight wall pistol, but not sizing rifle cases 308 and larger. My Rock Chucker performs LOTS better without FLEXING, SPRINGYNESS or ROCKING back and forth in its base.

BTW it cost me $35.00 to send this heavy boat anchor back.

detox
03-28-2014, 08:22 PM
I love most RCBS products, but this was a big disappointment for me.

Love Life
03-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Dang. Sorry to hear you got a bad one.

I've used mine for 308, .243, and 8X57. Did you have the green version or the RWB version? If RWB, what number?

AbitNutz
03-28-2014, 08:25 PM
I don't experience that problem and have resized 375 H&H cases. Perhaps you should contact RCBS.

detox
03-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Replace with Rock Chucker and keep the difference

Love Life
03-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Did you have the green version or the RWB version? If RWB, what number?

detox
03-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Guys, Grab the top of your Summit press and try to wiggle it back and forth. My version #814 had lots of movement no matter how hard allen bolts were tightened. Shaft also lifted from base slightly.

Love Life
03-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Dang, you got a lemon. My summit is rock solid and loads superb ammo. Enjoy your rock chucker.

AbitNutz
03-29-2014, 01:45 AM
mine is monolithic. It's like one piece. No movement at all.

r1kk1
03-29-2014, 02:40 PM
No movement here either. I have #24 RWB.

Take care

r1kk1

Groovy
04-21-2014, 07:47 AM
I was thinking about a press for 300 Win Mag and this sounds like a perfect press. I have a bad feeling that I am going to have too many presses very soon.

ph4570
05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Anyone know if the Dillon 1200 case trimmer will fit on the Summit?

Ah, just looked at a video -- no way the Dillon trimmer will work on it, too bad.

Geraldo
06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
So I couldn't resist any longer. Cabelas dropped the price and with rebates, coupons, etc, I got out the door on a RWB version for under $170. Now I have to wait for the brown truck...

MostlyOnThePaper
06-23-2014, 04:22 PM
That's sound like a bargain

David2011
06-23-2014, 07:10 PM
In the little bit I've used my Summit (RWB #87) I have quickly found that it's not a good primary press. An RCBS bullet puller won't work in it nor will any accessory that has a handle that rotates at the top. I still like it, though. I'm kind of easing into full production with it because I want to be able to switch LnL equipped dies between it and the RC; just have had other things to do but it won't be much longer before the adjustment is machined.

David

VHoward
06-23-2014, 08:57 PM
I noticed that RCBS has released fittings to turn this press into an arbor press.
http://www.rcbs.com/whatsnew/#newproducts
Scroll down.

Love Life
06-23-2014, 09:02 PM
My press was machined from Unicorn horn. It is magical and loads everything I need to single stage load. It's so smooth and amazing.

r1kk1
06-24-2014, 12:33 AM
I noticed that RCBS has released fittings to turn this press into an arbor press.
http://www.rcbs.com/whatsnew/#newproducts
Scroll down.

I bought one. I really need to try it with my Wilson dies.

take care

r1kk1

Geraldo
06-24-2014, 07:55 AM
My press was machined from Unicorn horn. It is magical and loads everything I need to single stage load. It's so smooth and amazing.

Sweet. I get to decrease the unicorn population and load great ammo. Win-win. :razz:

country gent
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Mine was cast from pixy dust and does the loading for me

mdi
06-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Hmmm. Careful, someone may question the "manliness" of the Summit; Unicorns and Pixie dust?

hornetman
06-27-2014, 09:56 PM
I bought a red, white and blue Summit (number 0209)at Green Top in Richmond a couple of weeks ago. After playing with a mounted display model for a good bit, I found it impossible to resist in spite of several less than favorable comments on this site. Several things about it appealed to me even though I certainly didn't need it-I have thirteen other presses. I mounted it on an RCBS base plate I had handy-found the linkage to be adjusted correctly, and the ram properly lubricated. I did tighten the screws that ride in the groove on the rear of the ram. I loaded some 222's with Federal match brass and Berger bullets. I used Redding S sizer and Competition dies and the short handle. Checked runout using a Sinclair tool-much to my surprise I found it quite similar to those loaded on my Co-Ax using same lot of cases and same dies. I have no complaints and will be using it a good bit.

hornetman
06-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Just got an email from midway. Red, white and blue Summits are on sale for $189.

Geraldo
06-28-2014, 02:48 PM
RWB 0329 arrived last night, and I got it bolted down today to do a quick test. Everything on it is right and tight. I put the handle on the left side, which leaves my right hand free to move cases. It also gives my overused right arm (Dillon 550 workout) a break. It feels somewhat like running a Co-ax, except that there is a lot of space around the shell holder.

I really didn't need it, but I'm glad I bought it. I don't think it will completely oust my Co-ax, but it's the first press that's been a threat to it.

David2011
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I bought a red, white and blue Summit (number 0209)at Green Top in Richmond a couple of weeks ago. After playing with a mounted display model for a good bit, I found it impossible to resist in spite of several less than favorable comments on this site. Several things about it appealed to me even though I certainly didn't need it-I have thirteen other presses.

"Hi. My name is Hornetman."

"Hi, Hornetman."

"I have a reloading press addiction."

Yeah, Buddy! Congrats.

David