PDA

View Full Version : .44 Devastator scores on deer

Shuz
11-12-2007, 10:26 AM
On Saturday I shot my first deer using a Lyman Devastator .44 boolit that had the gas check shank milled out. Boolit weighs 267g from WW+1%tin. Once again, using a cast boolit, I was not able to recover the boolit, but the entrance hole was large and the boolit took out 3 ribs going in and 1 going out on a high lung shot. Lungs were mush. Deer ran only about 50 yds and collapsed. One shot fom a S&W Classic DX 5" sporting an EDM fiber optic type front sight for my tired old eyes to easily pick up. Distance was a whopping 25 to 30 yds. Load was 17g of WC820 that gives a MV of 1184fps. This deer ws number 13 using a handgun and number 10 using cast boolits. Next year I swear I'm gonna try one of my composite 429421's and see how it compares to the Devastator. I was impressed with the Devastator's performance, and would recommend others try it for deer.--Shuz

Char-Gar
11-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Some time back Glen Fryxell wrote of taking a deer with that bullet and seem like he had good results as well. This bullet was designed around WW metal.

I have an old Lyman 429244 (Tompson) hollowpoint mold and that bullet does well on deer also, but it does it's best work with a binary alloy (20-1)

Bass Ackward
11-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Congratulations Shuz. And don't worry. Except for the amount of damage that could have changed if your entrance didn't strike bone, don't be surprised if there is no difference in the killing effect or distance traveled with the 429421.

In fact, I have shot .... many deer with every manner of meplat size in 44 caliber to include hollow points. My personal pistol bullet designs carry 60% meplats in 44 caliber and above. I have seen no difference in any of them for wound channels or killing effect.

In my opinion, once the caliber and bullet weight are enough for the particular size of game hunted, the most over rated variable to cast is meplat size. Shot placement and adrenalin level of the animal determines the actual rate of death.

Larry Gibson
11-12-2007, 04:17 PM
"In my opinion, once the caliber and bullet weight are enough for the particular size of game hunted, the most over rated variable to cast is meplat size. Shot placement and adrenalin level of the animal determines the actual rate of death."

Bass nailed (as usual). That is my opinion also.

Larry Gibson

garandsrus
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I am using that same boolit inside a sabot in my .50 cal muzzle loader this deer season. It shoots well...

I am also using it in my .44 Mag with 10gr Unique for deer.

John

AnthonyB
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Shuz:
Since that mold came from me I think a generous helping of your jerky is in order.... :)
Tony

Shuz
11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Shuz:
Since that mold came from me I think a generous helping of your jerky is in order.... :)
Tony

Tony,

I'm planning on sending all kinds of jerky when I return that fantastic mould you recently sent me to try. So far I've only cast about 50 or so, but they is beautiful, and my .30 cal rifles will surely prove their worth.

Shuz

Shuz
11-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Folks--
I butchered yesterday after letting it hang for 6 days and was surprised to find the boolit lodged near the scalpula on the off side. The boolit weighed 218.9g which is about 82% of it's original weight, and the diameter was .64". I can easily see the base of the HP hole and the boolits plain base is intact. Evidently a piece of the nose broke off and exited on the off side causing me to believe that the whole boolit "passed on thru". At least I now have an explanation of why the exit hole is much smaller than the entry. I'll see if I can't figger out how to include a pitchur from our digital camera.--Shuz

GLynn41
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I was thinking about getting my Lyman 410459 made into a HP -- you helping to push me that way :mrgreen: