PDA

View Full Version : Sales of Leveractions

Piedmont
11-09-2013, 02:35 AM
I was talking to a friend today who is the market for leveraction, preferably a presafety Marlin or Winchester. In the conversation it came up that a Marlin or Winchester .30-30 was always about the cheapest factory deer rifle you could buy. This is no longer the case. If it were not for Cowboy shooting, do you think the leveraction would suffer a slow death to the likes of the lower end Savage and Ruger American? Both are substantially cheaper now than a new lever action.

I think if I were a young man watching my pennies but needing a deer rifle I would go with a cheap synthetic bolt action. Don't forget, too, that the gunzines are saying these are better and impressionable minds will take a gunzine at face value.

starmac
11-09-2013, 03:34 AM
Me thinks the lever action will be around longer than the likes of the ruger american or the low end savage . There are a lot of levers produced that are not really suitable for cowboy action shooting.

nekshot
11-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Bass pro flyer has a deal on the look a like marlins. Interesting to read the reports of the buyers in a year. Must admit they kinda make me itch for one because it sure beats the cheap bolt actions in the flyer.

pietro
11-10-2013, 12:33 PM
If it were not for Cowboy shooting, do you think the leveraction would suffer a slow death to the likes of the lower end Savage and Ruger American?

Not as long as there are a plethora of used leverguns available @ $200-$400.

shredder
11-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I see what you are getting at for sure. The average beginner these days is not carrying a lever gun. That is for the old nostagic fellows like me! Seems like almost every rifle manufacturer in the game these days makes an entry level bolt gun in a synthetic stock with no iron sights. That is where things are these days and I admit to owning synthetic stocked bolt guns too!

The day has already come when the lever gun is totally overshadowed by other more "modern" (Ha Ha!!) designs.