PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot for .32 muzzy

dbowling
11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
I was reading back through alot of old posts and found one where someone recomended 00 buckshot for a .32 muzzleloader said he used it all the time, at .330 dia. would it be too big to patch and get down the barrel he said it was tight too start but shot fine... I have a little traditions Deerhunter that Im getting ready to squirrel hunt with and am looking for a cheaper source of shot then Hornady buckshot at 12-13 bucks per 100... as this is my 1st post thanks ahead of time for any help.. this looks like a great forum.

Squeeze
11-09-2013, 09:37 AM
way too big, What your looking for is prob 1-1/2 buck, here is a link http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/
At .310 its much better size for the avg .32 bore and should work well with a .015 or .018 patch. The problem with using buck is its lack of uniformity. If your just looking for cheap range fun, its fine, But if your looking for best accuracy, you will prob want to weigh each ball and cull all that deviate from the avg by more than a grain or 2.

mooman76
11-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Unless you have a larger than normal bore, you'd have to start them with a mallet. Once started though, they should go easy. You could even try shooting them without a patch.

Nobade
11-09-2013, 06:15 PM
I have a box of 0 buckshot, and it does indeed work in my 32 cal. Cherokee. It is .320. 00 would be way too big. But it doesn't work as well as smaller .315 cast balls, and is really too hard. And Hornady doesn't make that size any more. It also works in 31 cal. revolvers.

-Nobade

fiberoptik
11-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Get the Lee ball mould, grab an old 6" cast frying pan, don't look back!

dbowling
11-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the link, wouldnt the ballistics shot be too hard for muzzleloaders, I had thought about ordering some from them for my Renegade but someone said its got too much antinomy or however its spelled and would be hard to load or wouldnt engage the rifling like it should.

way too big, What your looking for is prob 1-1/2 buck, here is a link http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/
At .310 its much better size for the avg .32 bore and should work well with a .015 or .018 patch. The problem with using buck is its lack of uniformity. If your just looking for cheap range fun, its fine, But if your looking for best accuracy, you will prob want to weigh each ball and cull all that deviate from the avg by more than a grain or 2.

Squeeze
11-10-2013, 07:57 AM
it is a bit hard, but if you get the right size, its not the ball that engages the rifling, its the patch. And especially for a .32 cal if your just squirreling, your not so worried about expansion on impact. this has long been a controversy among traditional shooters on the hardness of lead for roundball, but the way I see it, at least for a .32 and squirreling its almost moot. It matters a bit more for larger cals and larger game where you want mushrooming and maximum damage. many guys who cast with modern Wheel Weights, (which today are even a bit harder than years ago) claim theres no problem whatsoever. Its mostly the guys who dont use wheel weights who claim not to. I DO try for softer lead on larger cals, and use WW type lead in some centerfire and shotgun projects. But I see no issue for a .32 cal, the ball is already much larger then a .22 slug will expand to, most times your trying for LESS damage on a squirrel. Accuracy should be fine, as the BALL never really engages the rifling, the patch does. (If you plan on larger game or varminting..IE coyote, you may want softer lead roundball, but that could even be debated)

mooman76
11-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Yes harder RBs will in fact work well as long as you have a good patch/ball fit. There's a guy in CA that has been experimenting will brass balls because of the upcoming ban on lead there for hunting. He says they work well also and he can reuse them as long as he can find them.

dbowling
11-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Good deal, then I will be ordering a container from them, thanks for all the help guys...

it is a bit hard, but if you get the right size, its not the ball that engages the rifling, its the patch. And especially for a .32 cal if your just squirreling, your not so worried about expansion on impact. this has long been a controversy among traditional shooters on the hardness of lead for roundball, but the way I see it, at least for a .32 and squirreling its almost moot. It matters a bit more for larger cals and larger game where you want mushrooming and maximum damage. many guys who cast with modern Wheel Weights, (which today are even a bit harder than years ago) claim theres no problem whatsoever. Its mostly the guys who dont use wheel weights who claim not to. I DO try for softer lead on larger cals, and use WW type lead in some centerfire and shotgun projects. But I see no issue for a .32 cal, the ball is already much larger then a .22 slug will expand to, most times your trying for LESS damage on a squirrel. Accuracy should be fine, as the BALL never really engages the rifling, the patch does. (If you plan on larger game or varminting..IE coyote, you may want softer lead roundball, but that could even be debated)