PDA

View Full Version : I used my new to me old Lyman 45 for the first time

randy_68
11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
last evening and I love it. I tried tumble lubing and pan lubing and finger lubing:lol: but they were all messy, at least for me. I bid on an old Lyman 45 on Ebay and won it then ordered some dies and punches from Optics Planet. Everything came in yesterday so I set it up last nite and got started. The Lyman was full of old lube which I dug out and it appears to be a mix of beeswax and Alox so I softened it up and used it.
This thing is slick! I can't believe how nice and professional looking my boolits came out of it with the grooves filled, sized and checked all in one operation and no lube all over the boolit. I think I did a couple hundred in a little over an hour with interuptions from the wife and grandkids. Now I am waiting for my top punches for my Noe molds to come in so I can do those too.
Now I have to build me a new (bigger) reloading bench.;-)

EMC45
11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice when it works out right?

CastingFool
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
It's always nice when you can get old toys that work like new! congrats!

GP100man
11-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Nice it all came together & the end results were satisfactory !!

Nuttin wrong with havin 2 benches!!

GP

theperfessor
11-10-2013, 10:46 AM
The 45s don't have quite the camming power or the strength for really heavy sizing, but they are more accurate than the 450/4500 models after long use. They are great little lubers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes, The 45 is a beloved old press in my book. Possibly the best model of it's style. I say possibly, because I just love even more the OLDER Lyman/Ideal #1 for the small 22 cal boolits.