PDA

View Full Version : Sizer question? 407/8 push through sizer with cast and j-bullets

BK7saum
11-07-2013, 12:45 AM
I am undertaking a new project my brother has gotten me into. He recently acquired a Winchester 1910 401 WSL and I will be forming cases and sizing boolits/bullets for it. I have a lee 401 sizer on the way that I plan to open up to 407 or 408. I will be sizing down some cast boolits but also have some Hornady j-words. Could I size the j-words down 2-3 thousandths on a lee sizer? I don't plan on doing many of the j-words, mostly just boolits with plain base checks.

If someone has a 40 caliber push through sizer that is oversize, damaged or pitted, I would like to buy it from you.

Thanks, Brad

mdevlin53
11-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I tried it once, had some jackets at .318 and tried to push them through a .316 Lee die. They made it through with a lot of force even though I had applied a liberal coat of lube. they sprung back so I did not get what I wanted. did a couple and then quit trying.

paul h
11-07-2013, 10:03 PM
It depends on what type of press you are using, you could end up breaking the press in the process.

A friend just had to try heavy bullets in his 35 whelen so decided to size down some 9.3mm 286 gr bullets. He was able to size them down in two steps, but ended up breaking his press.

The other issue is that jackets have spring brack so you'll end up with a core that is minutely rattling around in the jacket to the tune of about 0.001" which will open up groups slightly. Swaged bullets are actually bumped up in dia to account for this fact, but swaging dies are very expensive.

If you want a J-style bullet I think you'd be best off with a copper plated .410" pistol bullet. Shouldn't be as much strain on the press and not as much issue with spring back.

BK7saum
11-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks. I may run the 410 xtps through my .41 mag until Miha gets a couple of molds completed. I was able to form some semi -usable plain base checks from pop can aluminum and 44 gas check dies. At least I have some options. Muzzle velocity is close to 2000fps from the 410 WSL with a 200 grain bullet.