PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to remove LLA and one shot case lube on 9mm rounds

kryogen
11-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I am reloading some 9mm rounds.
Used LLA on the bullets (swirl and shake)
used one shot lube on the cases.

Tried tumbling the loaded rounds, cases came out clean, but bullets were full of corncob dust.
Should I just leave it that way?

I tried cleaning the cases+bullets with mineral spirits, works fine, but no way I am doing that on a large scale.

How do you do it? Fastest painless way possible plz.

Jack Stanley
11-06-2013, 10:00 PM
I tried that once and a little more mineral spirits into the cob media seemed to work OK . It didn't seem to affect accuracy compared to those that were not cleaned that way .

Jack

kryogen
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
I used the spirits on a rag... I dont think it's safe to add that to the tumbler.

Is it really a problem having cob coated bullets? not really I guess? So just tumble loaded rounds 30min and be done with it?

leadman
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
The corn cob dust should not cause a problem, but buy some moly so you can cover the LLA with it. Makes it non sticky.
I don't like tumbling loaded cartridges so I use RCBS case lube which is water soluble. I remove it by either tumbling the empty case after sizing, wiping with a cloth and alcohol, or put the cases in a container with soap and water in it. They dry fast here in Az.
Do you use steel dies for the 9mm? I use carbide and do not have to lube them.
Using the Hi-Tek coating that is baked on is a little more time consuming but the end result is so much better than LLA I suggest you check out the thread in the Boolit Lube section.

Centaur 1
11-06-2013, 10:48 PM
I haven't used straight LLA since trying 45/45/10 Recluse lube. It's easy to make and it dries hard without the stickiness of Alox. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free&highlight=Recluse+recipe

kryogen
11-06-2013, 10:51 PM
I want fastest, cheapest, most effective.

dragon813gt
11-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Mineral sprits on a rag. It shouldn't take long to wipe them off. There is no harm in adding it to a tumbler either. I add a little every time I use mine since it helps keep the dust down.

Blammer
11-06-2013, 11:14 PM
use walnuts instead of corncob

kryogen
11-06-2013, 11:35 PM
I have50 pounds of 20/40 corncob. Good for 40 years.
Will try some mineral spirits to media.

steg
11-07-2013, 04:00 AM
just get an old bath towel dampen it well with mineral spirits. Put the rounds in the towel and with an opposing up and down action on the ends of the towel the rounds are spanking clean in about 30 seconds or so. A couple hundred rounds at a time isn't a problem, as long as you take care in folding the top portion of the towel.

prs
11-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Do you have a cross-cut paper shredder? If so, try the paper particles as the media and maybe there would be no chaff left on the ammo. Add just a touch of Nu-Finish and they may look awesome! I may try that myself one of these days, but I have not been using LLA or such as of late.

prs

Hurricane
11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
You are not going to like this but, the fastest, cheapest, most effective way to remove the LLA is to melt the boolits and recast them.

bhn22
11-07-2013, 03:20 PM
For the cases? Ditch the steel dies and go with a carbide set. No lube required. For the lube? learn to live with it, or buy a lubrisizer and lube the bullets conventionally. Some guys are powder coating, or using other methods to lube or coat bullets. Messy bullets is just the nature of the way you've chosen to lubricate your bullets.

youngda9
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Throw a little butter in the shaker so your shots will smell like buttered popcorn when you fire.

Prospector Howard
11-07-2013, 04:01 PM
When I first thought about the idea of putting loaded rounds in a tumbler, I decided it was a bad idea; for one reason. What if the vibrations caused the powder to break down into smaller pieces or even to dust in powders like unique. I'll bet that would change the burning rate of the powder. Something to think about before you tumble loaded rounds. Ok, now you can all say I'm crazy for being paranoid; but I'm only paranoid cuz everything's against me.

dragon813gt
11-07-2013, 06:58 PM
When I first thought about the idea of putting loaded rounds in a tumbler, I decided it was a bad idea; for one reason. What if the vibrations caused the powder to break down into smaller pieces or even to dust in powders like unique. I'll bet that would change the burning rate of the powder. Something to think about before you tumble loaded rounds. Ok, now you can all say I'm crazy for being paranoid; but I'm only paranoid cuz everything's against me.

This has been proven to be false. And all factory rounds are tumbled before you receive them. This is one rumor that I never understood.

Cherokee
11-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I used paint thinner in corn cob media to tumble many thousands of 9 mm ammo years ago. Never a problem. No need to do it now, I use CR lube and clean the One Shot off the cases before loading them.

shadowcaster
11-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I am reloading some 9mm rounds.
Used LLA on the bullets (swirl and shake)
used one shot lube on the cases.

Tried tumbling the loaded rounds, cases came out clean, but bullets were full of corncob dust.
Should I just leave it that way?

I tried cleaning the cases+bullets with mineral spirits, works fine, but no way I am doing that on a large scale.

How do you do it? Fastest painless way possible plz.

The simplest way is to give each one a quick swipe with some steel wool. I know that sounds like a pain, but you will be surprised how fast a 100 rounds will clean up! Ask me how I know.

Shad

bhn22
11-08-2013, 12:08 AM
This has been proven to be false. And all factory rounds are tumbled before you receive them. This is one rumor that I never understood.

Plus they ride thousands of miles in OTR trucks, which might even be more of a workout than an hour or so in a tumbler.

Echo
11-08-2013, 02:11 PM
just get an old bath towel dampen it well with mineral spirits. Put the rounds in the towel and with an opposing up and down action on the ends of the towel the rounds are spanking clean in about 30 seconds or so. A couple hundred rounds at a time isn't a problem, as long as you take care in folding the top portion of the towel.
I've cleaned loaded rounds this way for decades - easy, and complete. The rounds turn out beautiful! Just a couple of glugs of MS, spread over the towel, does the job.

kryogen
11-09-2013, 07:38 PM
but then you have to keep the towel outside or it will smell for months and your garage will explode because of the fumes ?

Fluxed
11-10-2013, 10:05 AM
No, just hang it outside. Next day it's fine to bring in and wash.

trixter
11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I used to wipe all of mine too, I like shiny things (the Bling effect). I store them, after reloading them, in Costco Nut jars. and I just reach in and grab enough to take with me for that days shooting. The other day I grabbed the uncleaned ones. Guess what?? the holes in the paper couldn't tell the difference. Now I will be spending more time shooting them than, polishing them.

kryogen
11-11-2013, 10:59 PM
my issue is that case lube will increase presure in the pistol and dirty it more? no?

I hate cleaning rounds also.

M Hicks
11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I want fastest, cheapest, most effective.

Pick two of those three choices and you will have something that works. It is difficult in a perfect world to get fast, inexpensive and done correctly to happen.

I tumble loaded rounds in corn cob media with a little mineral spirits added. It takes off any remnants of 45/45/10 that are on the noses of the bullets. About 30 minutes is all it takes.

kryogen
12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I tried the mineral spirits in corncob in the tumbler technique.
After 15 minutes, all 350 rounds were perfectly shiny and clean. Awesome. Just rolled them a bit on a dry towel and done.
Thats the best way imo.