PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question On TC Encore

08-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Does the Tompson Center Encore Frame accept handgun AND rifle barrels???

cabezaverde
08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Yes, physically the frame does.

The frame has to be liscensed as a pistol frame before you even should think about mounting a pistol barrel. Also, don't even think about putting a pistol barrel on when you have a butt stock on the frame.

Short version is if it is a rifle frame, it can only be a rifle. If it's a pistol frame, it can be either. But never put a pistol barrel on without a pistol grip.

bdoyle
08-26-2005, 12:46 AM
I have purchased a few Contender frames and they were just listed as pistols. I don't know what they do now when you get a rifle, but I would want it listed as a pistol frame on the paperwork. Just in case I change my mind.

Brian

cabezaverde
08-26-2005, 06:27 AM
I am pretty sure the pistol/rifle designation is driven by how the serial number is recorded when it leaves the factory. They would not want someone to to buy a 209x50 muzzle loader and then turn it into an assault style 30-06 single shot pistol.

Most seem to agree that law enforcement would have to be really wanting to get you to chase down this pistol vs. rifle question. But it can be done, and who knows what the future holds in gun lesgislation.

I live in NY, where pistols are tracked very precisely. If I am buying a new to me frame, I always make sure I know what that frame left the factory as, and use it accordingly (i.e. - no rifle frame set up as a pistol).