PDA

View Full Version : New Cabela's store in town, bleh

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
So I got invited to "pre troll" the new store 2 days before it really opens. Last night was for invited guests. My buddy couldn't go so his wife took me :)
Anyway, I know they do not have the biggest fan base here, but never having been in one of their stores I had to go look.
I found the appearance all right, and they had lots of stuff that other stores in town do not carry & more scopes in stock than I've ever seen in one place.
Firearm prices high, ammo high, clothing really high, most fishing stuff high, but lures seem to be about on par with more variety.
Gunpowder? The main reason I went was for powder. They had, 6 cans of Varget, 3 cans 3031, 3 cans of 4064, and one can of Clays.
That was it. All at 29 bucks + per pound. Not impressed. And, not much for primers either. They did have a huge stock of j-words :(
What I really found distasteful? It was very easy to tell that every employee was fresh off the sunshine pump.
I guess I joined the club in finding them, . . . whats the word, . . .overrated.

DCM
11-06-2013, 08:08 PM
They do have a better selection and prices than gouger mountain here but you can still find better prices at other places.
Fishing lures don't seem too bad here either but Mills FF will usually do slightly better there too.

longhorn
11-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I happened to be wandering around the Cabela's in McKinney, Texas yesterday. Bought a 325 round box of .22 for $17.99, lots of appealing used handguns, no idea on the relative pricing, since I've been out of the market for quite a while......... They had a couple of used Savage 99's that looked to be fairly priced. If anyone wants a S&W Model 41, let me know; my old favorite gun shop has two of 'em.

waksupi
11-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Jim, I turned down an invite for the early viewing ****. I figure I'll wait until a week or so after New Years, when all of the returns are back in the bargain room.

uscra112
11-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Where the bloody heck did they get the Varget? Did they put that out as a tease?

Bad Water Bill
11-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Give them a couple of weeks so the newness wears off then ask someone if they have XXXX powder in the back room?

I have never seen them to have ALL of their powders on display.

Remember the NEWBIES have to learn just what and where the XXXX of items in their department are.

How long did it take you to fully understand your last job.

Give the new folks a break and understand that they have no one else to turn to for answers as they ALL are green as grass.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-06-2013, 11:39 PM
If you get the Cabela's credit card, they send you special deals.
Most of the time it works out to 20% off.

I just used one last weekend.
get $10 off of a $50 purchase.
I bought a brick of primers for $38 and a Lyman inertia bullet puller for $22, then got $10 off the bill....making the primers about $30.

TXGunNut
11-07-2013, 12:46 AM
I like my Cabelas but I also know good help is hard to find. Their clothes aren't cheap but they're well-made and comfortable. I paid $28/lb for IMR4895 powder there a few days ago, my LGS's distributors can't seem to get any at any price. I run across a good used gun there now and then and with their credit card I always have points to use. Now's a good time to spend some time in the Gun Library, get to know a couple of guys there. They appreciate the opportunity to talk with a knowledgeable gun owner. They'll also come in handy when it comes time to make an offer on a gun that catches your eye. Another thing about their credit card; their call center is in Lincoln, NE. I use it for gas and Cabelas purchases and the points add up fast.

Artful
11-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Where the bloody heck did they get the Varget? Did they put that out as a tease?

I stopped in to Bruno's ( http://www.brunoshooters.com ) the other day and picked up a pound of Varget but it was over $30 bucks so only picked up one pound. I find Cabela's to be interesting but seldom has me opening my wallet any more.

novalty
11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't like Cabelas either if they didn't have their Points system for their credit card. I use a card for almost every transaction after having money stolen from my wallet, and pay off my balance every month. The points I accumulate help significantly reduce the cost of my reloading and shooting hobby. With 2 small kids at home I cannot justify the cost of a lot of reloading supplies, but being able to get powder and primers for "free," has made the cost of my shooting just the cost of the lead wheel weights I buy. I am shooting 45acp for $0.02 per round, and 9mm for $0.01 per round.

DHurtig
11-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I see two reasons for the high prices at Cabela's.

#1 Somebody has to pay for that big impressive store you are browsing around in.

#2 The high prices subsidize their no questions asked return policy. I've seen stuff in the bargain cave that looks like it's been used for at least a year.

1Shirt
11-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I buy all my gas on a Cabelas credit card, and usually average about $200.00 a year credit. With that and discount promo deals, figure I average about 300.00 to 350.00 a year savings over their retail. So I guess it works out.
1Shirt!

southpaw
11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I like cabelas. Their prices might not be the best on some things but others aren't so bad. The only problem is they opened a store in pa and now charge tax if I order from them. I have taken the wife and kids down to the store several times. It is a nice place to wander around with the little ones. We stay and eat lunch and then look around again then go home. We don't usually buy much, mostly go to site see (aquarium and all the stuffed animals).

Jerry Jr.

largom
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Cabela's prices might be a little high on some things but their "no questions asked" return policy is great. I have used their Visa card for many years to purchase most everything, including a $18,000.00 pole barn once. The points add up nicely and when I go to Cabela's [ about once a year ] I get my powder, primers, and whatever usually free with my points. This makes their prices really cheap!
Larry

Wayne Smith
11-07-2013, 11:54 AM
When we were in NH there was a LL Bean's aftermarket sale at one of the unused old grocery stores. I bought a pair of sheepskin slippers. I relaced those three times before they finally tore. I bought a pair from Cablea's with my bucks. They lasted almost a year before they tore. I'm back wearing LL Bean's and this time they carry the guarantee!

rondog
11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
If you think you'll ever see $18.95/lb. powder ever again, you're dreaming.

1Shirt
11-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Agree, once the prices go up, they stay up it seems!
1Shirt!

AkMike
11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
We're finally getting into the big leagues here. There's one scheduled to open by next spring. I wonder how they'll compare to the Sportsman's Warehouse that we have now?

dragon813gt
11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
The secret to Cabela's is buy when the item is on sale. Their firearm prices are below MSRP which they weren't always. And the selection is huge compared to the local stores by me. They had CCI primers on sale a few weeks back for $30. Look at Powder Valley's price for them and then figure on shipping and hazmat to find out how many you would have to buy to come in below Cabela's price. I make all my purchases this way. I almost walked out of Cabela's with two Savage 99s last time I was there. The prices were a little high but both were in great shape, in the calibers I was looking for and they were there. The fact that they have a firearm in stock has led to me buying quite a few from them.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Rick, great idea about waiting til after the holidays.
You know as well as I what people around here are like with a new store.
I realize powder prices are never going down, what I call the big BS on is the fact
that you cant get it when it is available from the manufacturers

bangerjim
11-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Sale....sale....sale. That is the key word!

We have both Cab's and BigAssProShops here in the PHX metro area and both have a whole lot of nothing I am interested in those oversized barns they inhabit. I get all my casting/loading/shooting supplies for my local friendly gun shops.

banger

Bad Water Bill
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM
I have 2 of each in my area. Gander WAS the best place to shop after Herters left.

Gander and Bass Pro now seem to think their stocks are irreplaceable, so be it.

No Cabelas is not always the cheapest store but they generally have what I want when I NEED it.

When we had our beginners Shoots Cabelas was the ONLY LGS that we could rely on for donations and THEY CALLED US.

popper
11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Got a # of 3031 & 4895 at the Allen store yesterday, $28+TTL. no diff than PV & don't pay HM or shipping.

waksupi
11-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Rick, great idea about waiting til after the holidays.
You know as well as I what people around here are like with a new store.
I realize powder prices are never going down, what I call the big BS on is the fact
that you cant get it when it is available from the manufacturers

Yep, in this area, you can draw a crowd to watch someone change a light bulb.

376Steyr
11-07-2013, 05:01 PM
If you go past Boise, Idaho, stop at the Cabela's there. They have a nice little Elmer Keith museum set up, with his guns under glass in wall displays. You can get within six inches of his No. 5 revolver, his .44 Magnums, etc.

dakotashooter2
11-08-2013, 06:15 PM
When I walk in the door I go straight back to the bargain cave. I rarely buy anything there if it isn't on sale, which is often the regular price at another store. I have their card so I usually wait for a coupon and points before I buy something. If you really need it now you can usually get it at Cabela's.

Beerd
11-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Yep, in this area, you can draw a crowd to watch someone change a light bulb.

Or when they open a new pizza joint you can't get in the door for 6 weeks. You'd think nobody had ever seen tomato soup with cheeze on a tortilla before.

codgerville@zianet.com
11-08-2013, 10:57 PM
or when they open a new pizza joint you can't get in the door for 6 weeks. You'd think nobody had ever seen tomato soup with cheeze on a tortilla before.

that is good!!

TXGunNut
11-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Got a # of 3031 & 4895 at the Allen store yesterday, $28+TTL. no diff than PV & don't pay HM or shipping.

Good for you, almost felt bad about scoring the IMR4895 @ the Ft Worth store last weekend. Good score on the 3031 as well!

popper
11-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Yea, I could find Accurate first, now IMR, not much Hodgdon yet. Haven't used the 3031 before thought I'd give it a try. Puppy turned 1 yesterday, want's to play keep away while I'm typing.

DRNurse1
11-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Beerd: You got me, I figured this thread was coffee safe!

I have not used credit for anything since my first house (on my 3rd), but that trick with the Cabela's points is intriguing. I dropped $50 for two thousand primers (the limit) after the employee discount last time ($39.99/ 1M at the time) and there is another one coming up in a week.

TCStehle
11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I shop Cabela's for 2 reasons: Sometimes you can find an awesome deal in their Bargain Cave. I bought a pair of HKS 586 speedloaders for $5.69. Actually the smokeless powder prices aren't bad where my closest Cabela's is located (KC,KS). Last week they had AutoComp and Tightgroup both for $21.99 a can. Apparently prices can vary greatly depending on the region!

beezapilot
11-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Heck, Cabela's bargain cave just had Small Pistol Primers- loaded up on them.

novalty
11-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Was in my local Cabelas and saw a RCBS 10-10 scale in the Bargain Cave with a sticker that said "Discontinued." I sure hope the heck hey aren't discontinue one of the finest scales ever made. Would have picked it up, but even with 15% it was still too rich for my blood--plus I already have one.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I was back in the store yesterday, as they had 3031 when I was there the first time. Guess what, they was out >:(
I perused the used rifle rack, and , and, there it was - almost.
A fine looking Savage 219 in 30-30 for $199.
I thought back to some searching I did on this sight regarding that rifle and decided to leave it there.
It was the 219L, sheet steel trigger guard, and lever on the right side of the action instead of on top.
I ask the flunkie behind the counter if they would cut off the zip tie preventing me from looking down the bore.
You'd think I was trying to get a bill through congress just to look down the bore. After finally getting the OK to try and sell me a rifle,
they cut the tie off, popped it open and I say thanks but no thanks. I don't know a lot about 219's,
but I assume that I shouldn't have to strain to see rifling in a barrel?
sheesh
Oh, unrelated to the rifle, this store has NO BARGAIN CAVE :(

Don't get me wrong here folks, I don't have anything against Cabelas, I am just sick and tired of
EVERY store and business these days touting themselves as the the best there is,
and virtually no one can deliver standard service, much less outstanding service

TXGunNut
11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
My store had 5 #'s of 3031 yesterday, not much else in the way of powder. Dunno about Jim's store but in the Ft Worth store the procedure is to take a rifle from the used rack to the Gun Library and they'll remove the tie, even loan you a bore light.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Dunno about Jim's store but in the Ft Worth store the procedure is to take a rifle from the used rack to the Gun Library and they'll remove the tie, even loan you a bore light.

It's the same here, It just cracked me up that the dude had to get permission from 2 other people to clip the tie :)