PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations

Merc41
11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Forgive me for asking or ranting, but what the hell does COWW stand for? I now the ww means Wheel Weights but it is the CO that has me stumped. All these abbreviations, it really don't take that much time to actually type out words, seems to be getting worse every day now days. OWID = Oh Well I Digress

Love Life
11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Clip on. Quite common in the boolit vocabulary.

Most of the time 2+2=4

ultramag
11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Clip on wheel weight.

Garyshome
11-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Sometimes it is a leap to get this stuff straight.

RED333
11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Cows
On
Weight
Watchers
Ya mean I have missing out on all the good sale adds.:groner:

dragon813gt
11-06-2013, 07:32 PM
If you don't know what COWW means then how do you know what SOWW means?

fryboy
11-06-2013, 07:45 PM
ummm

skinny's
out ( of )
weight
watchers
??? :P

the most important abbv. to remember ( at least if you're married ) is SWMBO !!! ( she who must be obeyed ) because as we all know if momma aint happy .....

actually there's some new ones that get me from time to time , best thing is as you've done - ask , most of us are here to help ( both ourself's and others ) while some may jest about it ( such as my skinny comment etc ) that aspect is all in good natured humor , i'm also pretty sure that the abbv. rage is a trickle down from the government , what with all the alphabet agencies etc ( kind of like that " insanity is heredity - you get it from your kids" aspect but a lil bit different ;) )

paul h
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
It used to be everyone just called em wheel weights (WW), but then a need was established to differentiate between clip on wheel weights (COWW) are made of a different alloy, with antomony that makes it hard, than the stick on wheel weights (SOWW) which are closer to pure lead and soft.

Basically the handgun and rifle crowd generally prefers COWW, and the black powder crowd prefers SOWW, though some folks mix them together for an in between allowy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-06-2013, 11:33 PM
in classic and stickies
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?107406-Abbreviations-As-Used-on-This-Forum

waksupi
11-07-2013, 03:57 AM
in classic and stickies
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?107406-Abbreviations-As-Used-on-This-Forum

Aw, hell, don't get people actually reading the classics and stickies. That's only why they are there, so we don't keep repeating ourselves. What would we have left to do, if they actually used that part of the forum like they should? Probably takes longer than typing out the question after SEVEN years.

The longer I think about it, the more angry I get at the OP in this thread.

Lead Fred
11-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Dont forget WDWW

Bret4207
11-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Aw, hell, don't get people actually reading the classics and stickies. That's only why they are there, so we don't keep repeating ourselves. What would we have left to do, if they actually used that part of the forum like they should? Probably takes longer than typing out the question after SEVEN years.

Cool down big guy! Now you know how I feel every time I see a post titled, "Can I shoot a gas check design without the gas check?" I mean, we only created an entire sub-section just to answer that question!

Know what? We're starting to sound like grumpy old men.......

Artful
11-07-2013, 09:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Humor/GrumpyOldMennew.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Humor/GrumpyOldMennew.jpg.html)

DHurtig
11-07-2013, 10:15 AM
So what if I choose to nurture my inner Walter Mathau.

Merc41
11-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Yeah waksupi, it would have most probably been a bit faster reading in classic and stickies http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-on-This-Forum, but then again, if everyone knew how to type, then they could type out all the words and then there would be no need for the abbreviations in the first place, and we would not need a stickie to look them up.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.

paul h
11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
If newbies read all the classics and stickies, we wouldn't have nearly as much to talk about.

Then the cranky old guys would complain that nobody is asking any questions.

Harter66
11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
There wouldn't be much to talk about if all the new folks got every answer out of the stickies.
COWW
SOWW
COW
WQWW
WDWW
JPJ (as opposed to J-words(jaxeted projectiles))
NCBS
There will always be that guy like me that has a 312 boolit in a 310 throat that 306 at the muzzle w/a full 6 line lube star and 6'' of horrible fouling ,cause that answer ain't in the stickies.... the solution is but the answer isn't.

I'm sure somebody must have read COW and wondered why a guy would put it IN a case rather than make a boolit out of it.(COWW)

blackthorn
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Anybody notice that California (CA) uses the medical acromym for cancer?

Hamish
11-07-2013, 05:46 PM
At the bottom of this page is a list of Jacketed Reloading terms. I have long thought that they need to changed to Boolit terminology,,,,

shdwlkr
11-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Well my favorite is CRS = Can't remember stuff

RED333
11-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Well my favorite is CRS = Can't remember stuff
I have "CRAFT" aliment.
Cant
Remember
A
Fricking
Thing