PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating questions

10milg29
11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm about to start casting. I started a while back, but was have horrible results from using a Lee ladle. I finally bought an aftermarket barrel for my Glock and a Lyman ladle. I am using the small Lee furnace. I have the Lee 230 grain 300 BO mold, a 312 155 grain mold, and a 356 124TC 9mm mold. Based on what I have been reading, I want to skip lubing altogether and go straight into powder-coating. I have been looking at the HF setup. My questions are: will I still have to flare the cases once powder-coated, or can I simply load them (300 BO at least) like FMJ? Since the 155 is a GC design; will I have to buy a gas check maker as well, or can I simply coat and shoot them as is? I'm not looking for match grade accuracy, but 1-2 moa would be fine by me. Any (constructive) guidance offered will be greatly appreciated.

Skip62
11-20-2013, 09:57 PM
you have to treat PC coated like cast lead. i.e. more flare than jacketed

xacex
11-21-2013, 01:45 AM
I would start slow, and lower expectations for a short time, like a year to get it worked out depending on how much you shoot, and what your experience is. The 155 is a great boolit for the BLK, but there are other variables that you have to get right one at a time. Not only do you have the problem of finding a load with powder type, and amount, but length of jump to the lands, and that is for a factory reload using commercial components. If you make your cases from 223 you will need to make sure each one has the shoulder in the right position, and trimmed square to fit your gun. I prefer to use the same date stamp of LC brass when shooting for accuracy, and doing testing. Throw in boolit hardness, seating gas checks properly, weight of each projectile, and sizing you start to see why it takes time to find the perfect combo.
So far, my best has been with LC brass, boolits weighted within 1/2 grain, using Lil gun powder, and seated below the crimp groove with a .310 sized boolit. But I never got to 1" groups with it, and started working on a lighter boolit that my gun seems to like better.
And like skip said, don't scrape of the P/C seating the boolit which would effect accuracy. I would consider an M-die vs lee for flaring cases with consistency you will require.
For 9mm it is the cats meow. It seems many have a problem with leading with that one for many reasons, but P/C is an easy fix for many of the problems. Welcome to the madness!