PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Winch, are they worth it?

danomano
11-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I have been eyeing these for a while now and am wondering if it is worth it for you other guys that may have one. In Oregon, we have a lot of clear cut valleys to hunt. so it might make sense. They do seem a little spendy, but a used one might fit the bill.

http://www.lewiswinch.com/The_Lewis_Winch.html

Just looking for feedback if people like them, find them useful, ect.

elk hunter
11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't use one, but my brother-in-law has for years and doesn't go elk hunting without it. I've considered building one, but haven't gotten around to it. If you're hunting steep ground one would be a real labor saving device.

starmac
11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't know anybody that actually uses one for hunting, But do know lots of folks that use them to unstick their boat, move logs etc. they are a pretty nice tool.

danomano
11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I know my father in-law is eying these too... maybe I will luck out and he will get one first :)

Artful
11-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Yep, worth the money in Oregon - if your hiking up a hill with an elk quarter on your back I bet ya, you wouldn't think twice about the price. Alternative mode is to drag down hill to nearest road and drive around but even then power assist is a nice asset

missionary5155
11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Greetings
Well that is a good idea. Could have used one of them several times over the years.
Mike in Peru

starmac
11-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Maybe their would be a use for one if short drags of an animal is needed, I would think if you have much distance to cover it is less work to cut in sizes you can handle without the winch and make more trips. The only real use with one on the animal itself I could see would be to drag a moose out of the river or swamp, to get it to where you could butcher it, but I don't know anyone that actually carries one for that purpose either. A lot of guys carry a ropealong, and though manual they do actually work pretty good.

Bret4207
11-07-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't know if its Lewis, but someone makes a capstan rig that mounts to a chainsaw. Way handier than a regular winch for stuff under a 1000 lbs or so. No "let it out, winch it 15 feet, let it out, winch it 15 feet", it will go as long as your rope is. Saw one used once and have been looking since.

Artful
11-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't know if its Lewis, but someone makes a capstan rig that mounts to a chainsaw. Way handier than a regular winch for stuff under a 1000 lbs or so. No "let it out, winch it 15 feet, let it out, winch it 15 feet", it will go as long as your rope is. Saw one used once and have been looking since.
Simpson Winch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRzeEZnZhs

http://www.capstanropewinch.com/

http://www.loghomestore.com/1044-simpson-capstan-winch-for-chainsaw-mount.php

http://www.westechrigging.com/capstan-cs.html?productid=capstan-cs&channelid=FROOG#.UnubdnBwrmc

wch
11-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe their would be a use for one if short drags of an animal is needed, I would think if you have much distance to cover it is less work to cut in sizes you can handle without the winch and make more trips. The only real use with one on the animal itself I could see would be to drag a moose out of the river or swamp, to get it to where you could butcher it, but I don't know anyone that actually carries one for that purpose either. A lot of guys carry a ropealong, and though manual they do actually work pretty good.

Unless you have a bad back.

starmac
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Bad back aside, which I have. I do not want to be toting a chainsaw winch several miles back in the woods. Like I said for short work, they might work for you, but I still think it would be easier to carry it out in pieces a guy can handle, than trying to winch something a mile, or more.
I have passed up many shots, because of the location, I don't think I would carry a winch to change that.

376Steyr
11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Are they worth it? It will always depend on the terrain and obstacles where the elk drops. I once winched an elk up a grassy slope in a matter of minutes, and I've also watched another hunting party waste all day trying to pull a whole carcass out when they could have cut it up and had it out in a couple of hours. I spent several years hunting the Coast Range, which is indeed well covered with logging roads. This sure would have been handy to have available in the truck a couple of times, so we could have at least hauled the critter up to a landing to cut it up on a flat surface.

danomano
11-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Capstan Style... hhhhmmmm I am going to have to look into that! that's brilliant

Bret4207
11-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The Simpson chainsaw mount looks similar to the one I saw used. I didn't realize they were that expensive!

Mk42gunner
11-08-2013, 09:52 AM
The Simpson chainsaw mount looks similar to the one I saw used. I didn't realize they were that expensive!

I find myself saying that about a lot of things in the past few years.

I have to say that if I was going to use one of those portable capstan winches, I would definitely want a non stretch rope. I have seen way to many real life instances of nylon line (rope) snapping back when it breaks. No way do I want to be in the danger zone of even a 3/8" line.

Robert

Lloyd Smale
11-09-2013, 07:33 AM
might be decent for general purpose winching needs but its a bit small if you have to rely on it to pull a truck out of mud. Ive done a bunch of 4 wheeling and winching in my day and on a jeep sized vehicle i wouldnt want a winch with less then 8k single line pulling power or 10k on a half ton truck or 12k on a 3/4 ton. 4k might get you out of some situations but if you stuck to your running boards it isnt going to budge you. Sure you can double line it with a block but in my experience there isnt to many situations where theres enough cable on a winch to do it.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-09-2013, 01:46 PM
hunting ...