PDA

View Full Version : I'll be at the Tulsa Gunshow on saterday.

MBTcustom
11-05-2013, 02:44 PM
If any of you fine fellers see me there, come and let me shake your hand!
Look at my photo. I'm a big guy, and I'll be wearing the same hat I'm wearing in my avatar.
Only differance is I'll probably be wearing a black Dickies shirt, and will probably have a machinists pocket ruler sticking out of my left shirt pocket. I wear suspenders and bluejeans.

Shake my hand. It would make my day!

btroj
11-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I really need to make that gunshow one of these days. It is a good days drive but if I make a weekend of it then it is doable.

Tim, if I go one of these years I would certainly love to meet you.

w5pv
11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Wish I could make it.That pocket ruler,is it the same as six inch scale?Have fun my friend.

LUBEDUDE
11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Thank You for the invitation. Wish I could come meet you. However I am plum busted. Bought a few too many presses lately.

Have Fun!

felix
11-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Tim, stop by here for a temporary break. The gun show is in the middle of Tulsa which is 110 miles from here. You are now about 120 miles or so from here. ... felix

billyb
11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
I'll be at the Red Castle Gun Club booth on the lower level from 1:00-3"00 stop by if you have the time. Billyb

MBTcustom
11-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Brad, w5pv, lubedude: shucks, that's too bad!
Felix: I'll be carpooling with a couple other fellers, so I won't be able to stop.
Billyb: if you see me wandering with a far away, dazed look on my face ( seriously? They have levels?!?!) throw something at me! I do present a rather large target! LOL!

btroj
11-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Tim, I think I can get the wife to go with me next spring. Are you a regular attendee?

alamogunr
11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I've been wanting to go to the Tulsa show for several years now. Maybe next spring. My brother lives in Tulsa and is building a new house. He retired a couple of years ago and decided to build a one story house, set up for old age. I retired 7 years ago and decided to stay in a house I could afford.

By next spring they should have completed the house. It would be a good time to visit.

MBTcustom
11-05-2013, 05:42 PM
This is my first time at the wanenmacher. I've been trying to make it for the last year and a half. This year, I decided I would rather go and see this monstrosity rather than hunt deer (saterday is opening day of modern gun season in Arkansas).
I'm pretty pumped!

s mac
11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Swing thru SW MO and I'll treat you to some fresh backstraps. s mac

cbrick
11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Tim, are you going for just Saturday? Be a long, long, long day. trying to see the show in the middle of a 400+ mile drive. About the same drive time for me but a Friday nite or Saturday nite motel sounds like a good plan. Am I getting old or what?

I'll have to give some thought to this, hhmmm . . . . I like what their web site says, 2% max of the show is non gun related, 98% of the show is guns or directly gun related, sweet. I'm so used to the LA shows where it's the other way around.

Rick

MBTcustom
11-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Swing thru SW MO and I'll treat you to some fresh backstraps. s mac

Man, maybe I should drive solo! LOL!
Thanks for the offer s mac!

Rick, the plan is this:
I'm off Friday. I've got friend that is going to come and pick me up at my place.
We're going to meet up with my other buddy (balkandom) in NW Arkansas, and go pawn shop hopping.
We will then continue to his home.
We will then commence to eat fine cheese, hotwings, homemade wine, and domestic beer.
Saturday morning, we will arise and drive in mass to the Tulsa show and get as much seeing done as we can while it is open.
Back to casa de la balkandom
More cheese, wings, beer and possibly steaks.
Drive back Sunday.

Should be a heck of a weekend!

douglasskid
11-05-2013, 06:01 PM
We will be at Tulsa. Great show every time!!!

rockrat
11-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Might just be there, will look for you. I am probably your size, mabye a bit bigger.

cbrick
11-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Well dang, that sounds a whole lot better than a lousy motel & a Big Mac.

Rick

btroj
11-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Well dang, that sounds a whole lot better than a lousy motel & a Big Mac.

Rick

Rick, if you decide to go and stop by my place we will feed you well.

Brad

cbrick
11-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Uh, yep. I would need two motels just to get to your place. :mrgreen:

Rick

btroj
11-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Some people just can't be pleased!

We need to get down there next year. Tulsa is about 7 hours from here. Drive down Friday, go to show Sat, drive home Sunday.

Now to save some money........

cbrick
11-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Some people just can't be pleased! ......

Be an expensive side trip, motel, food on the road, stop and buy snow tires, get stuck, go buy chains for the snow tires. And that's just to get there. :mrgreen:

Rick

oneokie
11-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Guys, if you plan on seeing everything in that building in one day, you need to be in line when the doors open, walk fast and look even faster. And wear good walking shoes. If you see something you like/want, get it then, if you plan on going back later, it won't be there, if you remember which table it was on.

One other thing, at the entrance to the lower level on the north side, there are usually gs employees that will sell you a ticket if you have the exact amount. Saves lots of time getting into the show.

If you want to do it right, get a room Saturday night and go back Sunday.

btroj
11-05-2013, 06:43 PM
We don't have snow. We are far enough south and west to avoid that. This time.

I live about 4 miles south of Omaha, less than 2 miles to the Missouri River. Good news is that I don't love in Iowa!

Wheelgun
11-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Hello there everyone,
I'm new to the site, somewhat to casting, but not reloading. We try to go to Tulsa every year, it's a blast! It takes us from opening to almost closing to see every booth! My wife and I kinda have a system, so we can see every table and go back to see the guns that sparked an interest. She can't go this yr so it'll just be me & my best friend, we will probaly get lost lol.

cbrick
11-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Guys, if you plan on seeing everything in that building in one day, you need to be in line when the doors open, walk fast and look even faster. And wear good walking shoes.

I go to the SHOT show every now and then & the same thing. If you don't stop at any booths, just walk by you cannot see the entire show in three days. You have to get the book of exhibitors & plan a direct route to the ones you want to see & don't get side tracked (very difficult) or you won't even see all the ones you want to see.

We don't have snow. We are far enough south and west to avoid that.

No snow, in Nebraska no snow. :groner: I thought you guys invented snow & then shipped the excess off to Alaska.

Rick

btroj
11-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Well, no snow yet. It will come in time. Now western NE, they are getting plenty.

Dirtdgger
11-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I go every year. oneokie is spot on about the show wear comfortable shoes. If your there for one day you have to keep moving to see it all. I usually hit the upper level on saturday and hit the lower level on Sunday but I'm just 45 minutes away.

ratitude
11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Guys, if you plan on seeing everything in that building in one day, you need to be in line when the doors open, walk fast and look even faster. And wear good walking shoes. If you see something you like/want, get it then, if you plan on going back later, it won't be there, if you remember which table it was on.

One other thing, at the entrance to the lower level on the north side, there are usually gs employees that will sell you a ticket if you have the exact amount. Saves lots of time getting into the show.

Yep, been there done that. Would like to go again but not this time. I think if you're there all day both days you've got like 10 seconds per table, or some crazy low number like that.

Love Life
11-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Keep an eye out for donar actions. I prefer winchester.

MBTcustom
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I'll sure do that.

BTW, I have no intensions of seeing the whole show. I intend to see the show, but not all of it. I've got a no-name german single shot sans set triggers that I will have slung over my shoulder. Hopefully I can find a set of triggers that are close enough that I can fit them to it. If not, then perhaps I can sell it for a decent profit.

I think all the fellers I'm going with have no desire to do it that way. I'm going to go, get all starry eyed, and then go home.
The real reason I'm going is to find some examples of superb workmanship that I can take a close look at and see how they are done, to get inspiration for my custom rifles.
Should be educational because one of the fellers I'm going with has spent a lot of time in europe and knows superb workmanship when he sees it. He has promised to put me in front of the best, and then I'm going to see how close I can get to it in my shop.

btroj
11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Ooohhhh, is Tim buying?

Love Life
11-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Nope. I'm buying.

btroj
11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Nope. I'm buying.

Well Heck, Tim, he's buying, I'll take two!

RoyEllis
11-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Well Heck, Tim, he's buying, I'll take two!

Dick's buying? Woo Hoo! In that case I'll take whatever non-janky old 98 action you run across.

Love Life
11-05-2013, 11:31 PM
In that case just make sure anything you buy is flat black, as rails all over it, and comes with a room clearing instructional DVD.

btroj
11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Awesome! I will PM my address so you can send it to me!

gmsharps
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
The Tulsa spring and fall shows are the best I have ever seen anywhere. 7 acres of guns. Enjoy your time there and keep your eyes open and act fast.

gmsharps

RoyEllis
11-05-2013, 11:54 PM
But I'm allergic to rails! Although I can trade you my world famous jalapeno/garlic pickled egg recipe....it clears entire rooms & needs no instructional guidance. Although it's a biological WMD under Geneva convention.:bigsmyl2:

smoked turkey
11-06-2013, 12:48 AM
I hope to see you folks at the show. My son and I are going to help our friend in from Africa who is a PH we have hunted with. We will be at booth LSW8-Wayne Dell Safaris. You can check it out at waynedellsafaris.co.za. Tim, I will be looking for a big dude with a black hat dressed in overalls with a black shirt! I can't miss you.

R.Ph. 380
11-06-2013, 12:53 AM
If any of you fine fellers see me there, come and let me shake your hand!
Look at my photo. I'm a big guy, and I'll be wearing the same hat I'm wearing in my avatar.
Only differance is I'll probably be wearing a black Dickies shirt, and will probably have a machinists pocket ruler sticking out of my left shirt pocket. I wear suspenders and bluejeans.

Shake my hand. It would make my day!

Goodsteel, Brother in Law and a friend will be there. I'll look for you. Coming from Dallas. 4200 tables though. Feller could get lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

starmac
11-06-2013, 01:25 AM
I hope to see you folks at the show. My son and I are going to help our friend in from Africa who is a PH we have hunted with. We will be at booth LSW8-Wayne Dell Safaris. You can check it out at waynedellsafaris.co.za. Tim, I will be looking for a big dude with a black hat dressed in overalls with a black shirt! I can't miss you.

Lol, That discription describes a lot of Okies. lol

PbHurler
11-06-2013, 08:16 AM

:goodpost: Pay heed to this man's words.

rockrat
11-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Just remember to keep your wallet in your pocket, as there are a LOT of things there you think you really NEED!!!

Will be wearing a blaze orange fanny pack

cbrick
11-06-2013, 11:23 PM
My problem isn't what I think I need, I can deal with that.

My problem is finding those things I didn't know anything about and suddenly discovering that I can't live without. [smilie=1:

Rick

Dragoon 45
11-07-2013, 12:58 AM
If that is your plan start on the lower level of the building on the west end against the retaining wall, that is where all the collectors associations will have their tables set up. Last spring there was a dealer there that only dealt in English double guns and shotguns, Purdy's and the like; he had at least four that I remember that had 6 figure price tags on them. There were at least four collectors there that had nothing but German drillings, the real high end ones.

I live in Tulsa and go to Wanamakers every time it is in town. I have never managed to go through the entire show in all the years I have been going to it.

I'll sure do that.

BTW, I have no intensions of seeing the whole show. I intend to see the show, but not all of it. I've got a no-name german single shot sans set triggers that I will have slung over my shoulder. Hopefully I can find a set of triggers that are close enough that I can fit them to it. If not, then perhaps I can sell it for a decent profit.

I think all the fellers I'm going with have no desire to do it that way. I'm going to go, get all starry eyed, and then go home.
The real reason I'm going is to find some examples of superb workmanship that I can take a close look at and see how they are done, to get inspiration for my custom rifles.
Should be educational because one of the fellers I'm going with has spent a lot of time in europe and knows superb workmanship when he sees it. He has promised to put me in front of the best, and then I'm going to see how close I can get to it in my shop.

TXGunNut
11-07-2013, 01:10 AM
If you had another half day (and another pair of legs) you'll be awful close to the Davis Museum in Claremore. More percussion rifles & shotguns under one roof that you'll find in some entire states, many are awesome examples of old school workmanship. Basis of the museum was a 10,000 gun personal collection, simply mind-boggling. Two tips: the tollway won't send you a bill if you have out of state plates and the Super 8 by the Tulsa airport is a really bad idea.

filthygovmploye
11-07-2013, 01:13 AM
^herd that dragoon!!! its not possible... i think if we are on the forums, it means we like to talk. and if we like to talk, it means you can prob see about 10-30% of whats there. i zig, i zag, i bs, i annoy the folks who are trying to run the aisle and see everything... i bang guns (mine) off of tables, its a sight to see!!

i will be there, dark hair, wolverine style facial hair, will be totin a saiga shotgun and or a retro colt AR...

i used to get gun show fever, but the past few years with having less income, bein married etc, its tamed me down a bit. and this new breed of get rich types sellin chinese junk has my knickers in a twist... i feel like those flybys are keepin the folks away with the real interesting stuff. oh well. maybe when the economy pics up, if we have a country then, maybe the good stuff will come back out...

MBTcustom
11-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Well, I'm on my way back. I got to shake the hand of no less than five booliteers, and it did make my day!
The show was a bit of a drag, because the prices on all the tables were about 20% higher than what I would pay if I JUST HAD TO HAVE IT. However, I did score a couple of Arisaka sporters, some brass, and some material for inlays, and I met some great people.
There is a lot of knowledge behind those tables, and people were very happy that I was interested in good old fashioned wood and blued steel.
There was only one rifle that I had to leave behind, that I really wish could have followed me home. It was a steal at $1300 but I just couldn't afford it ;(.
All in all, it was a really fun time!
Now, back to the hotwings and Stilton cheese.
God bless everybody!

Okie73
11-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Hey Tim it was great to meet you today and shake your hand.
I hope your feet forgive you in the morning! That show is a grueling shuffle.
Todd

MBTcustom
11-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Hey Tim it was great to meet you today and shake your hand.
I hope your feet forgive you in the morning! That show is a grueling shuffle.
Todd

Honestly Todd, the pleasure was all mine! I just wish we had had more time to get aquainted. Maybe next time!

Okie73
11-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Agreed!

smoked turkey
11-11-2013, 12:06 AM
I just returned a short while ago from the big show. I am sorry to say that I did not get to meet any of you cast boolit folks. Wish I had of. It was another great show, and as you said Tim, things were in my opinion too, still a little too high. Hopefully it is not the new norm. I did manage to bring home a Mod 98 in 8x57. It is a sporterized rifle, and someone did an outstanding job on it I think. I need to give it a good cleaning. I ran some patches through it and it has some copper that needs to be mined out!

MBTcustom
11-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I think I know the one you are talking about. Did you get it on the upper level? Buddy of mine walked away wit hhis lip out, because he just couldn't swing it (even though it was a good deal).
That would be a hoot if you got the same rifle! LOL!

smoked turkey
11-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Tim I found this Mauser on the lower level at a table along the south wall. I would like full military, but this one has a nice stock and a Lyman 57 receiver sight which I like. It is what I call a classic style sporter with a low check piece with a shadow line which is to my liking.

MBTcustom
11-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Heck yeah! You did good!
Congratulations on a fine rifle, and a good deal. Not the same one my buddy saw, but no less a rifle.

rockrat
11-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Goodsteel, now that I look at your avatar closer, that youngish looking guy I passed by near the upper food vendor on the North side, just might have been you.

MBTcustom
11-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Very possible. I'm only 32 years old. Too bad! I would have particularly enjoyed meeting you!

rockrat
11-13-2013, 12:18 AM
I will bet that was you. Thought right at first, too young, but when I decided to turn around and holler your name, you had dissappeared into the crowd. Would have enjoyed meeting you.