PDA

View Full Version : Coyote trapping info

Swamp Man
11-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I have a friend that's having lots of trouble with coyotes near his home. They are coming up getting the cats in his yard and around the neighborhood. He spotted one within 10 feet from his backdoor yesterday morning. By the time he got his rifle it was gone. Is there any way to make cheap traps or any tips on shooting/hunting them in a area with limited range?

Dryball
11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
how about a pcp air rifle from talon tunes in .25? Tony makes em quiet and deadly

Bret4207
11-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Is there any way to make cheap traps or any tips on shooting/hunting them in a area with limited range?

No. A snare is the cheapest trap you can get but they may not be legal in your state and they are pretty tough on the neighbors dogs. If foothold traps are legal they work but there's quite a learning curve to it. You could look for nuisance trappers in your area. That might be the least expensive, most effective route.

I've killed a bunch with a 22lr out a house window, but you have to see them to shoot them.

contender1
11-05-2013, 09:48 AM
+1 to Bret4207
I am a state certified Animal Damage Control Agent. (Fancy title for a nuisance critter getter.)
First, check you local laws & see what is legal. Things like; When you can trap, or if you can trap with a permit, etc. Next, check what types of traps are legal. As noted, snares are the most effective and cheap. But, if you catch the local dogs and cats etc, you are not being effective in what you wish to control. Footholds do work, and are effective,, but require more work. (Prepping the traps BEFORE ever setting them, proper methods of setting to target the coyotes, how to deal with a yote after caught, how to return a trap to service after it's caught a yote, etc.)
Check out www.trapperman.com for a lot of great info on trapping etc.

Rattlesnake Charlie
11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Depends on what is meant by "limited range".

If the area allows you to discharge a firearm, but the range will always be close, a shotgun with #4 or larger shot will work within 40 yards. Don't use buckshot. Too skimpy of a pattern. The .22 LR works fine with proper placement. You may not get rid of all of them, but they will learn to avoid your place pretty quick.

Trapping a coyote is the ultimate challenge. They have a superb nose. You will get everything else first probably. I've released many house cats and farmers dogs, all without damage.

Make sure everyone in the neighborhood is onboard with the method you choose before you start.

reloader28
11-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Traps are already cheap. About $10 for a new coyote trap around here. I've started picking up a few myself.