PDA

View Full Version : 2400 & mag primers?

waco
11-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm running low on small pistol primers. I do have 4000 small pistol MAG primers.
I'm loading a max charge of 12 grains of 2400 with a NOE 360-180 WFN.
Is it ok to use mag primers with 2400, and how much, if any, should the load be reduced for pressure reasons.
Thanks again guys.
Waco

aspangler
11-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Back off to 11 grs and work back up. Should be fine.

waco
11-04-2013, 09:21 PM
I'll give that a try. Thank you.

w5pv
11-05-2013, 08:25 AM
I use a lot of magnum primers in most all calibers and powders that I use.Just reduce the loads and look for signs of high pressure flatting of primers and such.I was able to get magnum primers when there were no regular primers.

winelover
11-05-2013, 09:00 AM
The use of magnum primers with 2400 has been beaten to death. Some of our illustrious members, have determined that over the years, there has been no significant change in 2400, other than lot to lot variation. I concur.

All the older loading manuals, specifically called for magnum primers with this powder. So what changed? Only the Liability Lawyers! I for one, will continue using the magnum primers.

Furthermore, powders like 296 and H-110 call for Magnum primers. Some of you are using Winchester large pistol primers with these powders and swear by them. Well, Winchester doesn't offer a magnum and a non-magnum version. So, which is it?
Must be a magnum version, in disguise, then!!

Winelover

fredj338
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Sure you can use mag primers. You should rework the load if it's at the top end. Drop 5% & work it back up, a chrono really helps here. I find mag primers not necessary, but doesn't hurt as long as you work them into your load.

HNSB
11-05-2013, 04:46 PM
All of my .357 Blackhawk loads with 2400 use magnum primers.

oldpapps
11-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Not very scientific but:

Test with the same bullet, same brass, same powder. The differences are primers and charge. All with the same light to medium role crimp.
Bullets tested - 240 Grain LSWC (I weighed each bullet for uniformity)
Brass tested - new Star Mag brass
Powder tested - old 2400 (Hercules made)
Primer tested - CCI 300 (Standard LP) and CCI 350 (Magnum LP)

First test loading/charge, the Magnum primers produced 37.2 FPS greater velocity (an average of less than 15 rounds measured at 10 feet)
Second test loading/charge, the Magnum primers produced 38.8 FPS greater velocity
Third test loading/charge, the Magnum primers produced 1.8 FPS greater velocity

OK, this was a very limited test in both number to rounds tested and variables. Not mentioning that the test was for a substantial loading in a .44 Mag, not a .357 Mag. The point is that an increase in velocity does occur. Increase in velocity with all of the factors remaining the same indicates an increase in chamber pressures. If your loading is on the 'edge' or close to it, it is very wise to back off and re-work the loading with a change of primers, if for just the general safety of it all.

Load with care,

OSOK

osteodoc08
11-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Go ahead and use the magnum primers. Safety conscientious side of me says back of a grain and work up, but I've never personally seen a drastic difference in using mag primers with 2400 or other powders that don't specifically require it. I typically load my magnum revolver cartridges with mag primers. Of course I'm usually using H110/296, but that's beside the point....

Shiloh
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
The use of magnum primers with 2400 has been beaten to death. Some of our illustrious members, have determined that over the years, there has been no significant change in 2400, other than lot to lot variation. I concur.

All the older loading manuals, specifically called for magnum primers with this powder. So what changed? Only the Liability Lawyers! I for one, will continue using the magnum primers.

Furthermore, powders like 296 and H-110 call for Magnum primers. Some of you are using Winchester large pistol primers with these powders and swear by them. Well, Winchester doesn't offer a magnum and a non-magnum version. So, which is it?
Must be a magnum version, in disguise, then!!

Winelover

The liability lawyers is an interesting take.

Shiloh

MtGun44
11-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I get more fliers with mag primers and 2400 or Unique.

Bill

jonp
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I always use 10% as a std reduction when trying either mag or rifle primers in place of std primers.
This topic of different primers may " have been beaten to death" but can never be stated enough.
Its all about safety.

USSR
11-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I get more fliers with mag primers and 2400 or Unique.

Bill

Yes, it was always an accuracy issue and not a safety issue.

Don

Kraschenbirn
11-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Never been able to tell the difference, myself, between 'Mag' and 'Standard' with Federals and the W-Ws I use say 'For standard or Magnum loads' on the box.

Bill

osteodoc08
11-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't substitute rifle primers for pistol primers. The rifle primers are slightly deeper and could leave the primer a little proud after seating. That could lead to issues......

uscra112
11-09-2013, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't substitute rifle primers for pistol primers. The rifle primers are slightly deeper and could leave the primer a little proud after seating. That could lead to issues......
The OP was talking about mag Pistol primers. I don't use 2400 at all after discovering AA#9, but maybe mag primers would have helped me lower the velocity variance in the reduced rifle loads for which I used it.

kidmma
11-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes, the older manuals recommended Mag primers with 2400. I have used both. 357/44mags.

osteodoc08
11-09-2013, 09:03 AM
The OP was talking about mag Pistol primers. I don't use 2400 at all after discovering AA#9, but maybe mag primers would have helped me lower the velocity variance in the reduced rifle loads for which I used it.

I was referring to post #12 that mentioned rifle primers. You never know whose gonna read this in the future. It is on the misinformation superhighway after all.....

lotech
11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I normally use standard primers with #2400. However, a few years back, I did some comparison work with eight standard and magnum primers in the .357 cartridge. A 158 grain #51 H&G wheelweight bullet (.359") was used with 12 grains #2400 powder. From a rest, I fired five, five-shot groups at 25 yards using a Colt Python 6". There was little difference in velocity with most standard vs. magnum primers. Biggest discrepancy was with Winchester, where the magnum primer increased velocity about 50 fps over the standard primer (app. 1260 vs. 1210). Surprisingly, accuracy with magnum primers (except Winchester) was better than with standard, but differences were small, and with CCI, virtually identical. Sure, doing all this at 50 yards would provide more meaningful results.

As to your 180 grain bullet, I am unfamiliar with NOE, but I have used an LBT mould for about twenty years that casts a 180 grain flat nose gas checked bullet. Sized to .359", I use 12 grains #2400 and a CCI standard primer for a muzzle velocity of 1055 fps from a 6" S&W Model 27. This seems to be a stout load, probably around maximum for my gun.