PDA

View Full Version : .45 swc and powder coat or epoxy paint and piglet method

Skip62
11-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Anyone done .45 swc's with either PC or epoxy paint and piglet method? Wondering how well that leading edge coats.

Before you ES guys chime in, I'm not going to do that way.

bangerjim
11-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Anyone done .45 swc's with either PC or epoxy paint and piglet method? Wondering how well that leading edge coats.

Before you ES guys chime in, I'm not going to do that way.

Your loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA.....ha!

bangerjim

btroj
11-04-2013, 10:38 PM
The Hi-Tek coating covers the entire bullet fine if diluted enough with acetone. The nose/shoulder junction on swc style bullets is a bit harder to get coated but it isn't impossible. Great thing is that the stuff is easy to use and the learning curve isn't very steep.

The leading edge doesn't really need much coating, it hardly touches the bore and then only the very outside edge and that does get coated quite easily.

Skip62
11-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Great, thank you

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

bstone5
11-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I generally Powder coat with the gun but have had good results with the piglet method.

The Blue 45 SWC bullets were done with the Piglet method as a test. They shot fine and did not leave any lead.

The orange 45 SWC were powder coated with the gun.

I use the gun most of the time since it is a one cooking cycle for the powder coat with the gun.

The Blue bullets were cooked twice with a second coat with the Piglet method.

Most of the time I install the Cola Can Gas Check on all of the cast bullets even if they are powder coated, the bowl is the 45 SWC bullet with the powder coat and a cola can gas check installed.

These bullets are very accurate and shoot very clean thru the 1911.

Skip62
11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks bstone5, that's exactly what I wanted to see.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

fastglock
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I've decided to stick with standard lube for all my 45s. Because of the low pressure and velocity,I see no benefit except looking pretty.it has to go through the sizer anyways so it gets the wax treatment. Never got leading problems with standard lube anyways.

But you gotta love how ES PC looks !!!!!

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/x300blackout/20131016_145049_zps78b4e9f6.jpg

bstone5
11-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I used acetone to partially put the powder coat in solution on the Blue 45 ACP SWC bullets. I let the mixture set for a week in a sealed squirt bottle to get the best solution.

I tumbled in a plastic butter container and stirred until the bullets began to stick together.

Let air dry for about 30 minutes before cooking in the counter top convection over at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

The front end of the bullets were a little rough but after going thru the push thru size the sides came out very smooth.

I have done some in green color and red color with the same process.

The Piglet method does work but some time the finish of the powder coat is a little rough.

I have found to get the sharp corners to be covered it takes two coats with the Piglet method.