PDA

View Full Version : Fatter 30 GB -- by Chargar's request

sundog
11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Charles, since you asked...

Mil bolt match today. First group target was 2.472. It was a 98-4X on SR-21 at 100 yards out of a Fraz No 4 Mk I. Load was Fatter 30 loaded to engrave over 16.0/2400. Subsequent targets went down hill due to vertical stringing. It got rather windy too, which didn't help. Also I was trying some things on the bench since this rifle feels a whole lot different that the 03s. One thing I FINALLY caught on to was anchor point and eye relief -- and where it likes best to sit in the bags. This gun will lay several shots touching and scatter several. Me mostly until I drink more tea, rum, or limeade. Another thing is I think the charge needs to incremented a little. Testing to follow.

Bottom line - this boolit HAS possibilities.

I'm gonna tear down the gun and check the barrel relief. I've already cleaned up the trigger to a usable condition. It's sitting in the vise as we speak getting a top notch bbl douching with Ed's Red. Gonna check for copper one more time tomorrow with Hoppe's Bench Rest, but I think I got it all the first time.

I plan on shooting this in the mil bolt match in December. That first group target today was not a fluke. Second group was just over 4 inches. Scores weren't that good, but you gotta premember I'm just now starting to wring this thing out with this new boolit. I need to spend more time with this rifle and get comfortable with it like I am my 03A3. Just feels different.

A couple weeks ago when I started tested this load I was getting rounds almost stacking on one another and scattered high low shots. Powder charge? Bbl pressure? Nut behind the brass butt plate? We'll find out.

Char-Gar
11-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Corky..Thanks for the info. I have also had problems with my SMLE string bullet verticaly. Really tight action screws and a better position on the bags did the trick for me.

JeffinNZ
11-11-2007, 05:25 PM
CHARGAR: Don't worry about the vertical stringing. The time you get out to 600-800 yards they all line up in the middle again due to "negative compensation"...............:-D:drinks:

The Brits think of everything.

sundog
11-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Charles, Jeff, ??? nature of the beast?