PDA

View Full Version : Bought A New Reloading Book

alamogunr
11-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I just finished reading all the posts in a thread that makes the point of consulting manuals before jumping into reloading. I agree fully. Anyone who reloads needs to consult at least one, preferably more manuals before starting to reload a particular cartridge.

I've only been reloading about 10 years and during that time I haven't had any guidance other than 4 or 5 manuals and this board and one or two others.

Per the title of this post, I just purchased a new book on reloading. The name is Metallic Cartridge Reloading by
Mic Mcpherson. He is one of my favorite writers. I tried to read everything he wrote in Precision Shooting before it closed.

I'm sure that some will disagree, but this book is not a book of loads for a multitude of cartridges. It treats each component of a cartridge fully and in depth. It also treats the complete cartridge in a way that helps me understand the process better. I've only skimmed thru it so far and intend to go back to the beginning and read each chapter in detail. I expect it will take me the better part of a year.

Each subject is treated in depth and with many illustrations and photos. I have seen explanations of things that I have wondered about for a long time in various threads on this forum. This book has in depth treatment of many of those reloading aspects.

I'm not sure a recommendation is in order but it sure fills the bill for me.

I hope someone else has seen fit to purchase the book and will post their opinion.

koehn,jim
11-04-2013, 07:34 PM
You might also check with the various powder makers, they come out with some good manuals every year. And they are free.

SP5315
11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I've been reloading for quite a few years now. I have at least 30 manuals, new and old. It's great to have plenty of reference material on hand. Many of the old manuals have been picked up at yard sales/estate sales. If I can't find the information I need in one i usually can find it in one of the many others. I find it interesting how some load data has changed over the years while others have stayed the same.

One of my favorite books, not really a reloading manual is Modern Handloading by George C. Jr. Nonte. Every now and then I'll pull this one off the shelf for a re-read.

It's good to gather as much information, you never know when it will come in handy.

bearcove
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
The powder company websites are a very good source.

phonejack
11-04-2013, 10:06 PM
I liked him in PS also

bearcove
11-04-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't like anyone