PDA

View Full Version : tumble lude

tonysp101
11-03-2013, 11:16 PM
What is the best lube and way to lube a boolit. mold im ggoing to get is the lee 2 cavity tl452-230 grain.

Sgtonory
11-03-2013, 11:20 PM
45-45-10 tumble lube. Do a search on here or buy it from LsStuff.com a sponser here. Works great for me. I just use a old ice cream contaner.

ultramag
11-03-2013, 11:43 PM
45-45-10 tumble lube. Do a search on here or buy it from LsStuff.com a sponser here. Works great for me. I just use a old ice cream contaner.

+1

Use less than you think you need when you first start out. A very light coating is all it takes. Too much excess only gums up your seating die.

Bzcraig
11-04-2013, 12:19 AM
I too use Recluse' 45-45-10 and tumble lube. Didn't want to wait till I could afford a good lubesizer before I started shooting boolits. But with a recent 357 purchase will probably be one in my future.

True.grit
11-04-2013, 12:44 AM
What is the best lube and way to lube a boolit. mold im ggoing to get is the lee 2 cavity tl452-230 grain.

45-45-10 works for all my cast boolits. You can make it yourself with an electric burner. Look in the lube section. Do not was your money or time on a lube/seizer, like I did. I use it for 223-45/70. Just wipe of the top of the boolit with mineral spirits before storage. Good luck

jmort
11-04-2013, 12:44 AM
"But with a recent 357 purchase will probably be one in my future."

I bet your loving that GP100.

Larry Gibson
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
You might just try LLA and follow Lee's instructions. It's not rocket science and if done correctly LLA works very well. Many use the 45-45-10 formula with success but many have leading problems with theirs. All home brews are not created equal but store bought LLA is 'equal" batch to batch. Not saying one is "better" than the other.

I use straight LLA as per Lee's instructions when I TL and have yet to have a "lube problem" with it.

Larry Gibson

Bzcraig
11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
"But with a recent 357 purchase will probably be one in my future."

I bet your loving that GP100.

I am! It has been a long time since I've owned a revolver and am now kicking myself for letting go of the Cobras, Troopers, and Pythons. :groner:

Shiloh
11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
But with a recent 357 purchase will probably be one in my future.

Acquisitions are a good thing ;).

Shiloh

62chevy
11-04-2013, 12:58 PM
You might just try LLA and follow Lee's instructions. It's not rocket science and if done correctly LLA works very well. Many use the 45-45-10 formula with success but many have leading problems with theirs. All home brews are not created equal but store bought LLA is 'equal" batch to batch. Not saying one is "better" than the other.

I use straight LLA as per Lee's instructions when I TL and have yet to have a "lube problem" with it.

Larry Gibson

The whole idea behind this site is doing it your self just because I can. With that same thinking you might as well buy factory ammo.

mdi
11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
The whole idea behind this site is doing it your self just because I can. With that same thinking you might as well buy factory ammo. ??? Sorry, don't get it... I come here for information and helping some that need some info. I have.

OP, if you don't want to have to mix up anything, just use something as is, try alox. A thin coat is all that's needed and 90% of new user's problems are from too much alox (messy, clogged dies, etc.).

youngda9
11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I warm my boolits in the oven slightly. Nuke the 45-45-10 to liquify it. Put boolits in plastic container with lid and pour in a bit of the lube. Gently roll it around for a bit and then pour out boolits onto wax paper. Let em dry and put em in plastic coffee cans to await loading.

62chevy
11-04-2013, 01:24 PM
??? Sorry, don't get it... I come here for information and helping some that need some info. I have.

OP, if you don't want to have to mix up anything, just use something as is, try alox. A thin coat is all that's needed and 90% of new user's problems are from too much alox (messy, clogged dies, etc.).

I don't see what you don't get. Telling someone not to mix their own lube is like telling them not to cast lead boolits.

trixter
11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
quote (You might just try LLA and follow Lee's instructions. It's not rocket science and if done correctly LLA works very well. Many use the 45-45-10 formula with success but many have leading problems with theirs. All home brews are not created equal but store bought LLA is 'equal" batch to batch. Not saying one is "better" than the other.

I use straight LLA as per Lee's instructions when I TL and have yet to have a "lube problem" with it.)

This is exactly what I do and I shoot 100 rounds every friday (real early) and have never had any leading.

Dusty Bannister
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
The whole idea behind this site is doing it your self just because I can. With that same thinking you might as well buy factory ammo.
=================
The OP seems to be new to casting and perhaps reloading so keeping things simple at first is desireable. Once he is comfortable, then he can learn other methods and grow and do things his own way.

The whole idea behind this site is to encourage the use of cast bullets. You make your own goals, others should not make them for you.

He will probably have a lot of what is called a "learning experience" with a TL design anyway, so give him a chance to learn. Give a new person encouragement.
Dusty

Crash_Corrigan
11-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I have been using Lee's Liquid Alox since day one for my .45 ACP rounds. I cut it with a smidge of mineral spirits and dump about a hundred boolits into a ancient 1/2 gallon ice cream container. I squirt on about a teaspoonful of LLA and put on the cover. Using a swirling motion I agitate the container for about a minute or so and them dump the contents onto an old pizza pan of about 30" in diameter covered with waxed paper. I place them in a dust and grit free environment and either let them dry for 24 hours or I use a small fan to accelerate the drying of the coating. After the boolits are dry I give them another even lighter coating of LLA and let them also dry again.

My mixing container has been in active use since 1993 and is no longer clear. The LLA has built up inside it and from time to time I just put in a portion of boolits and then add a tablespoonful of mineral spirits.. This dissolves the old LLA and coats the boolits without adding extra LLA. If the LLA gets too thick to squirt I clean out the spout with a toothpick and add some mineral spirits to thin it out. You are looking for a thin thin coating of LLA. It should end up like a very thin coating of varnish and only darken the color down a mite. If the boolits look dark or brownish you have added much too much.

To make the boolits less messy to handle or store I then take the lubed boolits and place them in another plastic container and dump in a tablespoonful of corn with starch and agitate them for a minute. This coats the boolits with CS and they do not mess up my dies etc. This also prevents unwanted contamination of the slugs by dust and grit that may otherwise occur.

I also pretty much have settled on using Dillon dies in all my presses. They have a nice feature which allows me to clean out the dies without having to remove them from the press by simply removing a clevis pin to release the guts of the die for hand cleaning. Again Mineral Spirits and a cotton swab do the job.

ukrifleman
11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I load 11 rifle calibres from 6.5 to 8mm Lebel and I tumble lube using 2 coats of neat LLA and never have any leading problems.
ukrifleman.

rattletrap1970
11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I bought a Lyman tumble lube mold for .40 cal. I found I had to size them anyway

62chevy
11-04-2013, 05:50 PM
=================
The OP seems to be new to casting and perhaps reloading so keeping things simple at first is desireable. Once he is comfortable, then he can learn other methods and grow and do things his own way.

The whole idea behind this site is to encourage the use of cast bullets. You make your own goals, others should not make them for you.

He will probably have a lot of what is called a "learning experience" with a TL design anyway, so give him a chance to learn. Give a new person encouragement.
Dusty

I see your point about the OP being new to casting. And instead of ranting I should have made a different suggestion like try 50 boolits with the LLA and see if it makes a difference.

mdi
11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't see what you don't get. Telling someone not to mix their own lube is like telling them not to cast lead boolits.

Oh, that was a reply to Mr. Gibson's post. Makes even less sense now that you explain it. I didn't see that in Larry's post, he merely stated that some have different mixes/methods for making 45-45-10 and some may not work as well as others and since alox isn't a mix it may work better for a new caster. And I agree...

But I surely don't have to speak for Mr. Gibson!

JeffG
11-04-2013, 10:35 PM

Larry Gibson

I m finding that to be the case for me. I was getting no leading with straight LLA and minor leading near the muzzle with 45/45/10 for the same bullet, powder and charge. I'm planning to go back to straight LLA as that was working fine for me. I don't mind if they are a little sticky. :Fire:

Slow Elk 45/70
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM
This proves we all have our own way of doing things. what works for me may not work you....good casting

TXGunNut
11-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I use LLA for most everything I shoot. Might as well, a bottle shows up with every Lee sizer I buy! I'll clamp my Lyman sizer to the bench when I want to use some SPG. KISS, another acronym I'm rather fond of. Just because I can make bread from scratch doesn't mean I shouldn't buy a loaf of bread.

Jayhawkhuntclub
11-05-2013, 11:50 AM

So you must make your own mineral spirits, powder, alox, moulds, brass and primers too? If not, you may as well just buy factory ammo.:roll: Nobody does it all on their own. Seems to me this site is about more than just doing it on your own.