PDA

View Full Version : ? and info needed - antique 38 spl bullet mold - pictures inside

bedbugbilly
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Didn't know whether to post this here or over in the bullet mold section - but I think it's appropriate for either - Mods - if it needs to be moved - my apologies.

So . . first off, I love old and vintage things - have shot BP for 50 years and a few years ago, discovered cartridges. My favorite is the 38 Special - everyone has their own - that's mine. It was introduced in 1898 and has hung around for 115 years so I can't be the only one.

A while back, I picked up an antique/vintage single cavity - see photos. I've seen a lot of this style over the years - we all have - in 32 WCF, 25-20, etc. The only marking on this mold is "38 S & W SPL" - I can fine no mfg. name at all. Does anyone know who produced these molds and the approximate years? Anybody have any reference books that accurately date them and identify the makers?

Today, I had a few minutes so I fired up the lead pot and poured some in it as I wanted to see the results - the cavity appears fine. I have one other round nose - Lee DC 358-150-1R. I have molded up quite a supply from that mold - the lead in my pot was the same batch I poured those from so I wanted to compare the Lee boolits to the ones from this antique mold. This is what I found . .

Lee Mold Antique Mold

OAL .635 .706

DIA .362 .362

Weiht .151 Gr .152 Gr

Please note - in the photo - those from the Lee mold are on the left - the antique mold on the right. The only thing I had to measure with was a digital caliper - I measured a half dozen of each - weighed them on my old Redding #1 Powder Scale. I tried to be as accurate as possible.

I haven't loaded any from the antique mold yet but it is pretty much identical to the Lee boo lit - i.e. lube and crimp groove - the nose is of course a tad longer. In order to be consistent in my loads, I've been sizing everything through my Lee sizer - .358.

One thing about close up photos - it sure shows the imperfections in the cast boolit so I'll apologize for any of those now. I pre heated the Lee and even though I only molded up a few, it didn't take long to get a good rhythm going. I have no problems with Lee aluminum molds - have used them for years but I still prefer a steel block and I have a feeling I'll be using this old mold a lot.

I just thought I'd share this and if anyone has any information on these old molds like this, I'd appreciated hearing it.

I thought I'd also include a photo of some "eye candy". These are just two of my "vintage" wheel guns - I'm "vintage" so it makes sense to shoot 'em. :-)

The one on the left is a Smith and Wesson 1905 4th change Target Model - 38 Spl - 6" barrel. The serial # puts it to early to mid 1920s - I'm not an expert on Smiths by any means and I've been told the grips pre-date the handgun so they were probably changed out at some time. This is a sweet shooter.

The one on the right is a Colt "Army Special" - 38 Spl - 6" barrel. This model was introduced in 1908 - the serial # gives it a DOB of 1910. I justified buying it as it came out in 1908 - the same year my father was born and Colt changed the name of this model to "Official Police" in 1927 - the same year my father graduated from high school. I thought it was a good justification to purchase it? :-)

Thanks for any help on the mold - greatly appreciated!

Le Loup Solitaire
11-03-2013, 08:47 PM
The mold that you show with the wooden handles is similar to the ones made by Winchester, but it should be so marked. They were un-vented...no vent lines across the faces of the blocks. I have two marked 38-55-255 and they work very well. So it is probable/possible that they were made by Winchester or whoever made that style of mold for Winchester. LLS

bedbugbilly
11-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks! When I got it, I first thought "Winchester" as well and was surprised to just find the caliber markings on it. I haven't pulled the handles but I can't imagine the mfg. would mark it where it couldn't be seen. I really haven't researched Winchester molds enough to find out if they made them or they were contracted out? I passed on a Winchester 32-20 about a year ago and now that I'm reloading, I'm kicking myself. Hind sight is always better isn't it! :-) At some point, I'd like to add a 32-20 Colt or S & W to the herd as for some reason, that caliber calls out to me. I have a Belgium "clone" Colt SAA that my great uncle had in the late 1800's / early 1900's that is in 32 -20 (32 WCF). It's not a shooter but a nice keepsake - I even have the cartridge belt and holster he had for it. He was a rep for International Harvester and traveled all over the country - lots of it out in the west before he finally settled down.

Thanks for your reply - greatly appreciated.

mikeym1a
11-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I just took possession of a .32 mold of the same design, and it is marked as a Winchester product on the right side of the mold. The writing is kinda small, and you might miss it if you weren't looking closely. Here's mine..........it makes pretty boolits...:D

86395 86396