PDA

View Full Version : Which of (2) pots to buy? Lyman or RCBS

gunoil
11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
WHICH TO BUY? Both backordered.

Lymans bringing a 25lb pot to market:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps98f5a29c.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/267665/lyman-mag-25-digital-melting-furnace-110-volt

RCBS 22 lb pot:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/209097/rcbs-pro-melt-furnace-110-volt

M-Tecs
11-03-2013, 04:58 PM
some more discussion http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?180594-2013-Lyman-Mag-25-Digital-Melting-Furnace

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?205657-which-casting-furnace-do-you-like-the-best&highlight=Waage

I needed another 120 volt bottom pour. I ordered an RCBS on the last day of Midways sale for $319.00. With the $50.00 rebate I liked the price. I use a thermometer in the pot so the display isn’t a big deal to me.

Bret4207
11-03-2013, 06:29 PM
RCBS has a decent lifetime warranty. Lymans warranty ain't worth a bucket of warm spit.

btroj
11-03-2013, 06:33 PM
My RCBS has been running strong for 22 years. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

gunoil
11-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks, iam doing some preventive maintenance, I dont need fancy dials either. l'll Sell the lee on ebay of here cheap.

Well, when their back in stock.

ph4570
11-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I really like my RCBS with my homebrew PID.

You may want to keep an eye on the RCBS at Graf and Sons -- less than at Midway and much lower shipping. $361.99 and $6.95 to ship.

DHC
11-03-2013, 11:25 PM
I just went through trying to find one (RCBS) available for delivery. They are in-stock at CheaperThanDirt for $335.25 at this link --> http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/64958

IHTH

M-Tecs
11-04-2013, 12:41 AM
used one for $225.00 here http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8198770/1

dikman
11-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Lurepartsonline.com have them for $350, inc. shipping (if I'm reading it right).

While looking around, before I bought the RCBS, I thought the Lyman looked great value - except no-one has them, everyone says back order, with no idea when they'll actually be available - plus being a brand new model they are very much an unknown regarding performance and reliability. The RCBS, on the other hand, has been around a while and those who have them appear very happy. I've only used mine a couple of times, but it's a very nice unit to use. (I have modded it slightly, however, with a removable cover to go over the top and a flat shelf to support the molds - while the support rod they use does work, I thought it could be improved upon).

gunoil
11-04-2013, 11:06 PM
sunz-a-bitches, l found one at work today like above @ cheaper-n-dirt, l paid lil' extra for 3 day UPS. Was bout to thro-up for a while$, hehehe, but now i feel really great after it sunk in what i will have. Thanks to all above.

dikman
11-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Well done :drinks:. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. After I'd ordered mine, and the actual price had sunk in, I wondered if I'd done the right thing (and maybe should have bought the Lee 20 lb'er) but after I got it I realised it's a quality bit of gear. And while it wasn't cheap, I can easily re-sell it here for what I paid - not that I intend to sell it!

detox
11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
The Lyman with digital temp read out looks cool if it works accurately and keeps temp from fluctuating too much.

I really like the ProMelt, but temps do fluctuate back and forth about 50 degrees while casting.

gunoil
11-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Yea, it may be (degrees) up and dwn. Came in today. ITS REALLY NICE.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zpsdd656ee4.jpg

l have a twin fan system, the one in photo and one coming out the roof with 7" vertical draft.

gunoil
11-09-2013, 02:50 PM
After couple days, this dang thing is incredible!

VHoward
11-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Been there done that when I replaced my broken Lee Production pot IV with the RCBS Promelt. I kicked myself asking why didn't I just buy the Promelt in the first place.. The promelt has already lasted twice as long as the production pot IV and I've only had it 3 years.

detox
11-09-2013, 07:22 PM
I am glad you like it. It took me awhile to get used to the bottom pour.

Here's a trick: If you want a more square bullet base, just loosen sprue plate for better venting. Some moulds do not require loosening sprue plate.

If bands are too rounded, just turn up the heat or cast faster to get mould hotter. Try not to get mould so hot that bullets appear too frosted.

bobthenailer
11-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Years ago when i was looking to replace my broken Saeco 11 lb pot, i borrowed a friends lyman 20 lb pot and another friends RCBS pot to see which one i liked best ! I went with the RCBS pot with a lyman mould guide that i removed from my Saeco pot , The lifetime warrentee helped in my decision to buy the RCBS , 20+ years with no problems and hundreds of thousands of bullets made, so far

garymcgehee52
11-13-2013, 09:54 PM
I went with the Pro Melt. The price hurt at first but I got over it. The rebate helped. It works great.

kevmc
11-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Just recv'd this from Lyman regarding availability of the Lyman Mag 25:

"Unfortunately no. We have had some delays. It should be available early in
2014. We apologize for the delay, but want to make sure everything is right
before it is released"

Ed in North Texas
11-17-2013, 10:31 PM
The Lyman with digital temp read out looks cool if it works accurately and keeps temp from fluctuating too much.

I really like the ProMelt, but temps do fluctuate back and forth about 50 degrees while casting.

I'm not sure the new Lyman pot is actually out on the market yet. They have been supposed to be on the shelf since March. I think Lyman might be having some problems with the "roll out", but unlike some other outfit, they apparently are waiting to try and get it right.

After reading kevmc's post, I guess I should have read all the way to the bottom first. Oh well...

jmort
11-17-2013, 10:35 PM
"I'm not sure the new Lyman pot is actually out on the market yet"

Delayed again until early next year.

leadman
11-18-2013, 02:11 AM
I have an older late 80s RCBS pot the thermostat went bad in. RCBS sent me one no charge, installed it and the temps swung 50 degrees, called them about it and they sent me another thermostat, same thing, called again and the tech said that is their standard now. The thermostat is a different brand than the original, which only varied about 10 degrees until it went bad.
I built a PID and am happy once again.
So keep track of the temperature of the new pots and hope for a different thermostat than the 2 I got.
I do really like the RCBS even if the thermostat is questionable.

Changeling
11-18-2013, 06:13 PM
RCBS has a decent lifetime warranty. Lymans warranty ain't worth a bucket of warm spit.

That is about the best analogy of Lyman I have ever heard, however I personally don't think "Spit" is low enough in my opinion!!!

zomby woof
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm waiting for the Lyman

Old Caster
11-19-2013, 10:46 PM
I have gone from gas stove to Ohaus, then Lyman, then Lee, and then RCBS and a Waage for ladle casting and the only two that would keep the temperature even close to right are the RCBS and Waage with the Waage being the most accurate. The RCBS might vary 5 degrees and the Waage doesn't show any movement on my RCBS thermometer. For bottom pour I would go only RCBS until I hear a lot of good reports about the new Lyman. Their track record isn't the best and they are going to have to prove themselves first.

Lefty Red
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks, iam doing some preventive maintenance, I dont need fancy dials either. l'll Sell the lee on ebay of here cheap.

Well, when their back in stock.

Dibs! Let me know what you want for it! :)

JMtoolman
11-20-2013, 02:05 PM
My RCBS pot has been running since the early 80"s with no problems! I have used lymans and there is no contest which is better! Get the RCBS it will be the last pot you ever have to buy. By the way I think I paid around $80.00 for mine new thirty years ago!
The toolman.

Crash_Corrigan
11-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I first bought a Lee 4-20 and when the leaking wore me out I bought another. The 2nd one does not leak so I fed the 2nd with contents from the first using a shelf arrangement and some angle iron for a chute. I was casting so much that I finally bought a RCBS Pro Melt. Fantastic pot. I use a thermometer and I have no issues with it at all. I still use the 2nd Lee to feed molten alloy to the RCBS and I tossed the 1st Lee into the corner of the shed in case the 2nd fails.

The RCBS is so much easier to use and adjust than the Lee brand. It holds a lot more lead. It is a really quality piece of equipment compared to the Lee and the cost initially hurt but it was well worth it 3 years later. I bought my Lee in 1990, 2nd in 1996 and the RCBS in 2010. I would avoid the Lyman like poison as I agree with Bret in NY as their warranty is worth less than the paper it is printed on.

hermans
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
I have a very old RCBS ProMelt, actually it was still made by Ohaus.....I got it from an old friend who gave up casting. I have been using it for 28 years now, only improvement I could make was adding a PID, otherwise no problems at all.

azrednek
11-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I also have an old RCBS I bought used at a carport sale. Dirt cheap I might add with lube/sizer, dies and molds. The seller was raising money to bail his wife out of jail on a drug possession and check kiting charge. I've been using it for nearly 25 years and the only problem was my spilling molten lead on the cord. I had a small appliance repair shop replace the cord.

cbrick
01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Delayed again until early next year.

Just went to the Lyman web site, seems they have delayed it yet again. Now they are saying the fall of 2014. Geez, it's been like a year and a half already and now they say another 9-10 months. Sure makes ya wonder.

Rick

jmort
01-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Problems with Chinese supplier seems most likely reason for delays.

SlippShodd
01-12-2014, 04:22 PM
I pat my Pro-Melt on the head and tell it how wonderful it is every time I walk by it. It's getting on in years and I want it to know how much I appreciate it; I've had it 20+ years and it was well used when I got it. A friend got married and the new wife wouldn't let him keep the lead and stuff around (poor marriage choice on his part), so he literally gave me all his gear; well, okay, I paid $200 for all of it: P-M, LAM with dies and punches for the 1/2 dozen RCBS and Lyman moulds with handles that were included, lots of misc., 500+ pounds of WW lead and 2 1/2 sticks of Lino. Some time later he gave up reloading and gave me *everything.* I parsed out the duplicate stuff and sold it off a little at a time, but gave the money to him. Still using powder and primers left over from that. These were the 2 largest windfalls for me in over 40 years of shooting and reloading, and when I'm done with them, I'll just try to pay it forward.
In the meantime, I'm ever grateful every time I fire up the Pro-Melt, having now forgotten how to ladle cast. lol As with all my green gear, every time I need something, an email is followed up with a package in the mail inside of a week. It's a tough act to beat.

mike

JMtoolman
01-12-2014, 05:56 PM
My RCBS has only been running for about 35 years without a hitch! I thought the $80.00 price tag was a bit high at the time, but now I know it was worth every cent! The toolman.

GLL
01-16-2014, 03:56 PM
When did RCBS first start selling the the PRO-MELT bottom pour pot?

Here is my PRO-MELT ladle pot that was originally owned by Ohio Thermal, Inc.
in Columbus, Ohio.

http://www.fototime.com/5E9D62857295B91/orig.jpg

Jerry

rockrat
01-16-2014, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't buy the Lyman, because of poor warranty issues I have had with lyman and I am left handed, that pot looks like trouble for us leftys. I bought a pro-melt when I started casting more (like getting in on all the group buys around here for 6 cav. moulds!!!), then came across a used pro-melt from 1984. It works great, even better than the newer one. My 40yr old Saeco still works great and use it for pure lead.

Smoke4320
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Pro Melt all the way !!! you will never look back

gunoil
01-17-2014, 06:31 PM
had the rcbs now since 3 nov., its incredible.

BPShooter
01-17-2014, 07:44 PM
The RCBS works good, but not in colder weather it won't get hot enough. Yes I like to cast my bullets in late fall and early spring in the garage, with the door open. Stick with propane in colder temps.

M-Tecs
01-17-2014, 08:45 PM
It warmed up last weekend so I cast some. It was 22 in the garage. No issues with my RCBS.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-17-2014, 09:11 PM
I bought my Pro-Melt in 1978 and never had any kind of problem with it. Held its temperature well and did a good job. Was convertible to left hand if i wanted it, but I learned how to manage it right-handed ok. Mold guide did not work with earlier H&G molds due to the large screws/block bolts, but I swapped those out so that the molds worked with the mold guide. LLS

David2011
01-22-2014, 11:11 PM
My Pro-Melt is over 30 years old and still going strong.

David

MrWolf
02-01-2014, 09:14 PM
I have been debating whether to get the RCBS Pro-melt as my first furnace and kept hearing about their lifetime warranty. When I double checked, they are now a 2 year limited warranty (unless I am misreading it):
LIMITED WARRANTY
Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, VCC, RASS Bench RASS Accessories
Your Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, R.A.S.S. Bench or R.A.S.S. Accessories is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for two years from the date of purchase. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. All RCBS products are intended for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty. Should you believe that Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, Mega Tumbler, R.A.S.S. Bench or R.A.S.S. Accessories is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, Mega Tumbler, R.A.S.S. Bench or R.A.S.S. Accessories to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Springfield
02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I never buy anything based on the warranty. If it is good quality it should hold up, if it doesn't I don't want it anyway.

ACrowe25
02-01-2014, 10:43 PM
True but at the same time--- things happen! That's why I always like to have a nice warranty to fall back on.

And it works two ways right? IMO things that are built "correctly" generally have a better warranty. Why? They know it'll last, er it should. I don't mind paying extra for that.

Per the thread, I wish I bought a pro-melt. The ol' drip I magic surely shows where it got the name every session. Don't want it do break, but when it does :evil:

Dave C.
02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't know if Lyman's customer service is good or not. My mag20 is working like new but it is only about 30 years old. If I have a problem with it I'll let you know how they treat me.

Dave C.

MrWolf
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I bought the pro melt from Grafs :Fire:

Irascible
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I bought an RCBS over a Lyman 30 years ago because it was said to have a better thermostat. The ON/Off switch failed last year and they told me to ship it to them. I said NO, I can install a switch. So they sent me the switch at no charge. Works fine. I hate to spoil your day, but I paid $90 for it back then which I thought was quite high! I bought another 2 years later and it was $120. GASP, oh well, I need it! The price of one today is absolutely shocking. I could not/would not afford another.

MrWolf
02-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Price has increased a bit. Got mine for $355 and should be able to get the $50 rebate. Best price I could find. Thought about getting the lee and adding a PID, but figured for a few dollars more I would be better off with the Pro-melt.