PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes Jack Russell Dogs?

Kull
11-02-2013, 11:58 PM
I've always had a dog. Got my first, a female Red Merle Australian Shepard, for an 8th grade graduation present. Until recently though I've never had a small dog.

Went into a pet store when I was living in Puyallup, forget why I even went in there now, and I spotted this extremely energetic very happy looking Jack Russell. Had to have him. That was thirteen years ago and let me tell you I've had more good times with that dog than I can count. This one, and I think most Jack Russell's, are down for any adventure anytime. They are completely fearless and full of confidence. Have amazing balance. Posses stamina, drive, and heart ten times their size.

This is my dog, Tony Two Face, and he is a super hero.

http://i.imgur.com/Oug95yC.jpg

JeffinNZ
11-03-2013, 12:01 AM
I like them better without custumes to be honest.

gandydancer
11-03-2013, 12:13 AM
He only wears that outfit when he's out fighting crime. Everyone knows that. You New Zealanders have to get out more often. Gezz.

Kull
11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
I like them better without custumes to be honest.

Well....he don't like Kiwi's, and it's costume.

:kidding:

http://i.imgur.com/3AmT8dZ.jpg

JeffinNZ
11-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Whopps, yes, costume.

I guess considering the purple longjohns I wear hunting I should shut up ah? :D

freebullet
11-03-2013, 06:28 AM
I love them headstrong little bugers. They are great for the carpet cleaning industry. More folks have a hard time making an alpha connection with them, than most other dogs. Jacks almost always try to rule the roost, just the way they are. I couldn't have one, but see why some would.

w5pv
11-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I had one was making a fine little squirrel,had bad *** attitude that probably got him killed by coyotes.He just disappeared one evening.One of the neighbors dog could have killed him but they said they didn't think so.This dog is half pit bull and has killed a couple of dogs that I know of.The reason I think it may have been coyotes I never found no evidence of him, no buzzards flying,He wasn't afraid of anything.Real lovable with kids and other people around the house but stand offish with strangers away from the house.

joec
11-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I had one from the time he was weaned to his death at 18 years old. He was the best dog I ever owned, though I call them the Jack Russel Terrorist because they are something else sometimes. They sure aren't afraid of anything either.

Hardcast416taylor
11-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Fearless is right! They are used in S. Africa for leopard hunting. After seeing the Jack named "Eddie" on the Frazier TV show I`ve always had a soft spot for them.Robert

JeffinNZ
11-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I run an 11km circuit with my 'mostly' Lab. The other week I was talking to a lady out at the forest where I run as she was running with a Jack Russell. It does the same circuit easy. Outstanding effort for a little dog.

unclogum bill
11-03-2013, 02:06 PM
If I had to pick a dog to go after a Grizzley this would be the breed. They don't know fear, they don't stop. After the bear ate it , it would still be fighting.

southpaw
11-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't recomend one if you don't have the space to let them run and the time for them. Like others have said very high energy. My Mom got one that took a liken to my Dad. She also, for some reason, loved guns. Well, maybe not so much the guns but the bag they make and the bullet hitting the dirt. She would find where in the dirt you shot and try and dig it up. When she tired of that she would start jumping up and down in front of your rifle. This made sighting in your rifle a little tricky. I have no idea how she never got shot. Shooting clay birds was also a little different with her around. If you missed she would bring back the bird. If we could have trained her to drop the bird we would have saved some money but instead she would bite the bird in half err many pieces when the next one went flying.

If you wanted to go hunting without her you needed to make sure that she was chained or didn't see you leaving with a gun cuz she would find you no matter where you were in the swamp.

Counldn't stand the damn thing when she was around but now I realize that she wasn't all that bad.

Jerry Jr.

PS one of the other russels that my Mom has went in a hole after I am guessing a rabbit. The hole went under a rather large ( about 7' or so long, bout 4' wide and almost 2' thick) rock. Of course she gets stuck and we didn't realize till the next morning. Long story short we find her, dig the hole bigger, manage to get a jack under and lift it some. She came out turned around and started to go back in! I caught her and took her back.

762 shooter
11-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Cody is 22 lbs of teeth and attitude.

I can't imagine a better dog.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2yuf76q.jpg

Gelandangan
11-05-2013, 12:34 AM
I have a most cowardly and submissive jack cross breed.
She is 3 years old now and is scared of almost anything, even a piece of leaf falling from a tree would made her scamper behind me.

Most unusual because her siblings are all fearless..

Oh well..

bikerbeans
11-05-2013, 02:07 AM
I am "owned" by two male Jacks, Bandit and Troy. They sleep with me and take me for walks. They are the two smartest dogs I have ever owned and are capable of causing trouble way out of proportion to their small size. I read somewhere that a tired Jack Russell makes a happy Jack Russell owner and I have found that to be very true. You have to be able to spend a lot of time with these fellows otherwise they will find stuff to do on their own that you may not be real happy about.

BB

facetious
11-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Only one?:confused: We have two JRs a jackrat and a rat terrier. We had one that we got in 1996 and lost to cancer on 2006. It will not take long to figure out that the only thing that can wear out a jack is another jack!

And you may want to pick up some new walking shoes. Once he finds out what a leash is for you will need them. every day at 4:00 the youngest one Oreo will come sit at my feet and stare at me and then the leash and back at me till i take them out. We do two to three miles almost every day. you would think i would be skinnier then I am.

And thy do like to hunt!! if it has hair and is smaller then them thy think it is food and thy do like to catch there own food.

When it comes to smart thy have to be at the top of the list some were. At some point you will start to wonder what is worse a really smart dog or a really stupid one. These dogs will test you and play you to no end. Get up at night to use the rest room before you can get back to bed the little ******** have the warm spot and will try to fight you for it.

The one thing you will never do with a jack is ignore it. When thy want something thy will pester you till thy get it. one thing I would like to know is how in the hell did you get a costume on him? If I tryed that with mine thy would be all teeth and claws, legs kicking every witch way till thy got loose and thy sure wouldn't let you try again.