PDA

View Full Version : dinged case mouths

soldierbilly1
11-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I shot an (unofficial) match with my fellow club members today and I noticed that a number of cases had dings on the mouth. On one occasion, some mild debris flew back and hit me in the face. One of the guys said it was a small micro sized piece of lead on the side of my face. I was shooting my 9 with Lyman 124 gr sized to 357.

Are the two events related? what is causing the dinging on the mouth? seems to only happen with FC cases (???) Time to chuck the cases? How many times do you all shoot your 9 mm cases? these cases have many miles on them. The load is in the middle of the range for lead heads, NO hot loads. The barrel did lead up after the shoot, about 72 shots.

What is up with this? any help is appreciated. I don't want to go back to J-word bullets!
Billy boy

Bzcraig
11-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Have you slugged your bore? Boolits may be undersized. What gun are the boolits being shot in?

osteodoc08
11-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Unless the mouths are split, keep the brass. dings will come out in sizing. Keep them and use them. Perhaps the loads too underpowered and dings are from the slide. And brass markings on the slide?

Are you seeing leading or powder fouling? Unless your barrel is really oversized (or bullets undersized) it "shouldn't" be an issue. Slug your bore.

Underpowered loads or incompletely burned powder can come back and smack you with unburnt powder and debris. What and how much powder? What primer?

soldierbilly1
11-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I am using Titegroup 3.9 gr with the Lyman TC bullet, 124 gr. and Rem primers. The Hodgdon recommendation is 3.6 - 4.0 gr. I have already shot 1500 rnds through the gun, a Taurus 92. Of the 1500, 1000 were these lead heads using this very load. Never a problem!

I have not slugged the bore but after all the successful rounds, it seems of limited value, BTW, they are sized to 357. (I have not chrono'd the load, but maybe I should just to check.)

Upon further review, the slide has no brass marks on it at all. However, the case ding shape matches the barrel cut for the extractor perfectly! OK, so that is where it is getting the ding. The barrel was leaded, confirmed using my Lewis Lead remover, it was also heavily powder fouled as well.

OK now, is the load too hot or too cold? Is it worth slugging? easy enuff to do. Possibly a batch of soft metal?
what do you boys recommend?
Billy

runfiverun
11-02-2013, 07:52 PM
the brass may be the issue.
if it has lost it's anneal at the case mouth it could be causing the issue.
i.e not grippinng the boolit enough for good powder burn and changing the ejection timing/force.

Larry Gibson
11-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Brass wouldn't cause the leading.

Alloy?

Lube?

Larry Gibson

soldierbilly1
11-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Larry: I have switched to ww and range scrap 50/50. But this lot was mostly scrap and some tin. I suspect the BHN to be about 9 or 10. I may have some boolits remaining that I can check. I used NRA 50/50 lube.
(I do not have the leading problem with WQ WW.)

I am thinking lead too soft. I really scrubbed the bore before shooting this match, it was clean!

what are the characteristics of an underpowered load? How many times are you all shooting your cases?
billy

RFR: interesting, duly noted.