PDA

View Full Version : EPA strikes again

44man
11-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I got word that the large company that makes lead from ore is closing due to super restrictive EPA mandates it can't meet. There will be no more lead for bullets and batteries.

uscra112
11-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Lotta panic on the web over this, but I kinda doubt that it'll have much effect. Mexico mines a heck of a lot of lead, and under NAFTA it can come here with no tariff. Rather suspect that the lower price of mining in Mexico may have influenced Doe Run to shut the domestic mine down. No unions, cheap labor, etc., why bother with the mine?

This is much the same situation as the cast iron foundries that GM and Ford used to run in the USA. EPA clamped down, so they moved their casting operations to Mexico, but we still get iron engine blocks by the millions for our new cars and trucks.

And pretty high percentage of batteries get recycled. Doe Run is also in that business. Do a web search on them.

Shiloh
11-02-2013, 08:57 AM
After reading about this from the panic on various boards, I have to agree with the above post. I do wonder about the jobs that will be lost though.

Shiloh

Ted
11-03-2013, 01:06 AM
After reading about this from the panic on various boards, I have to agree with the above post. I do wonder about the jobs that will be lost though.

Shiloh

Who cares about the jobs. At least they will be able to get Health Insurance right?

Now in the real world I only have about 1500lbs of wheel weights stashed away. I figure that is only 6 years or so of shooting. No more wheel weights available here in Komifornia so I'm going to have to start buying from Rotometals I guess.

tomme boy
11-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Please stop spreading the rumors. The bullet manufacturing businesses don't get lead from these. The recycling part of the one that is closing is doing great and that is where all of the manufacturers get their lead from.

Straight from Sierra. http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

Please share this link with everyone to stop any kind of panic buying. As of right now we are still safe.

starmac
11-03-2013, 01:24 AM
It isn't just jobs, they finished off another complete industry, something we are starting to run dangerously short on. The us has the capabilities to be completely self sufficient, and should be for our own national security.

jcwit
11-03-2013, 02:36 AM
It isn't just jobs, they finished off another complete industry, something we are starting to run dangerously short on. The us has the capabilities to be completely self sufficient, and should be for our own national security.

Not the complete industry, only the mined ore part. The secondary smelting plants are still in full operation, and most of the lead we use here in the U.S.A. is from reclaimed lead.

starmac
11-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Do you reckon they laid off those epa employees that come up with the regulations that closed the smelter, or is it now their job to start on another part industry or part of one.
If lead ore can't be refined here it is just a matter of time before recycled lead goes through the roof, or those commercial smelters are regulated out of business as well.

cheetah
11-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Now some guy with 40,00 primers and fifty pounds of powder can go pluck wheel weights in the parking lot. The same ones crowing about lost jobs will buy a brand new scope for eighty dollars and say, "I had no idea it was made in China."

Thundermaker
11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
According to friends I have that live near that plant, it was just a battery recycling plant. There are plenty of those in the US. Some sources say that the owner is just building a new facility, because it's cheaper than retrofitting that one.

Wis. Tom
11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
EPA=lost US jobs. That is their job and they are great at it, and the President has given them everything they need to punish any industry that doesn't follow the agenda. You have to remember that the reasons they give to close these plants are because of "global warming", and that scam has become so full of holes, that they had to change the phrase to climate change. What a joke.

mold maker
11-03-2013, 05:40 PM
It's true that the Doe Run smelting operation was a minor part of our lead use, it was the last lead ore smelter here. Over the last years, Mexico and China have taken over more and more of the world production.
There will always be lead produced in the US as a byproduct of most other mining operations.
The question is , When Mexico and China also become the worlds only recyclers of lead who will set the price???????
We all, might better learn, to grind round rocks.