PDA

View Full Version : Primer dilemma.

KYShooter73
11-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I have about 500 rounds of .223 clean, sized, and primed, all trimmed .010 too short. I want to chop them down for 300blk cases, but I don't want to waste all those primers. My blackout sizer is a lee, with the decapper and expander ball all made into the rod. I don't mind decapping live primers, nor reseating primers. My question is will the primers be too deformed or swaged from original seating for them to be reseated snugly? I blew out a few primers last week, got an anvil tangled up in my Geissele trigger, and don't care to repeat that error. Any suggestions or alternatives?

wallenba
11-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Only way is to remove your decapping pin. I routinely resize, charge, and seat cast boolits in PPU PRVI loaded ammo in several calibers, just for the brass. No ill effects. If you only have a Lee trimmer you will have a problem, but a form and trim die or a bench mounted trimmer should be OK. A Lee decapping pin will have to be broken to remove. I remove ALL my decapping pins anyway, as I use a Lee universal decapping die.

paul h
11-01-2013, 08:33 PM
I'd advise against removing live primers and re-using them.

joesig
11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
.01 short doesn't sound like a loss.

Were your loads too hot to spit out that primer? If not I would use those cases at least once more as is.

I would not reprime deprimed primers.

Cut/trim. Take the deprime rod out and form. Then just short stroke with the neck expander to open the neck again, if needed.

williamwaco
11-01-2013, 08:49 PM
People routinely remove and reuse primers.
It works fine.

BUT

I would remove the decapping rod and expand with another die ( Lyman M Die - the Lee universal expander is not suitable for this step. )
This way you don/t need to remove them at all.

Wolfer
11-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I removed and reused lot of primers. Never once had a problem.

KYShooter73
11-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks folks. .01 off isn't too bad, but I have about 2k that are trimmed correctly and ready to load, that's why I'm using these for the blackout. I think I may try two trips through the sizer. On the first one I'll remove the rod, then short stroke it with the rod on the 2nd pass. Hmm, maybe make a spacer out of a 45 casing so I don't go to far and pop out primers on my short stroke.

If that don't work, gonna try reseating a few and see if they hold.

And ya, those loads that popped primers were too hot. Ruined the primer pockets too. 16.5gn of Lil'gun under Lee 312-155.

Jailer
11-01-2013, 10:03 PM
You do realize that the trim length for a RCBS X-die is 1.740 correct? I say load up the short ones with your favorite 223 bullets and run em. Save the non primed stuff to convert to 300 blk.

MtGun44
11-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Use the brass, .010 "too short" is essentially irrelevant.

Bill

jcwit
11-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I'd advise against removing live primers and re-using them.

Explain please.

KYShooter73
11-02-2013, 02:04 AM
You do realize that the trim length for a RCBS X-die is 1.740 correct? I say load up the short ones with your favorite 223 bullets and run em. Save the non primed stuff to convert to 300 blk.

That's my mistake. I don't have any that aren't primed. Bored me prepped it all for loading. I'm low on .223 j-words, and this blackout barrel, gas system, dies, mold, and gas checks mysteriously appeared on my doorstep. I don't know how it happened and I'm sticking to my story.

62chevy
11-02-2013, 06:03 AM
That's my mistake. I don't have any that aren't primed. Bored me prepped it all for loading. I'm low on .223 j-words, and this blackout barrel, gas system, dies, mold, and gas checks mysteriously appeared on my doorstep. I don't know how it happened and I'm sticking to my story.

Looks like it's time for a little celebration with a range trip.

Oh and buy the bun length hot dogs they are longer and only have eight to a package. :lovebooli

Shiloh
11-02-2013, 09:03 AM
.01 short doesn't sound like a loss.

It isn't Shoot them.

I removed and reused lot of primers. Never once had a problem.

Done it many times. No issues at all.

Shiloh

runfiverun
11-02-2013, 10:19 AM
just poke them out and make your new brass.
sounds like you have the correct amount of primers to fire form your new cases with.
I think that an anneal would be a good idea anyway.
then put the primers back in and shoot the new brass.

Jupiter7
11-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Your asking for trouble trying to trim and form primed brass. I've decapped and re-used quite a few times. The amount of brass "dust" and shavings that will end up in your flash holes will amaze you. It'll end up in your gas system, bolt, etc....

And yes, 16.5grs Lil Gun is a HOT load. 16grs is pretty warm, flattened primers but no cratering, for me.

Jailer
11-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I run 14.7gr of H110 with my 312-155-2R and those are plenty hot. 16.5gr of Lilgun is pushing it.

KYShooter73
11-03-2013, 07:31 AM
I deprimed and reloaded about 100 of them. The primers felt ok seating them, hard to explain, but they felt like it took a sufficient amount of force to seat them back in the pocket. Loaded with 15.8gn of Lil'gun. 16 cycles fine, I hope these will do the same. Hope to test them out this afternoon if it isn't raining.

jhazelwood
11-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I cut the pins off of my lee 223 dies as I buy pull down LC brass that is primed. Cut the pin and het a new one from Lee for a few bucks.