PDA

View Full Version : The new sign for the edge of my driveway...

Rangefinder
11-01-2013, 04:24 PM

I was at work this morning when my wife called. She let my dog out to do his morning business--which he's really good about doing across the road in the ditch instead of in the front yard. A truck, flying down the dirt road that accesses the houses and property down from us, hit him doing about 45+ on his way back--with my wife standing right there--and doesn't even hit the brakes much less stop.

Fast forward--no tires got him, but rolled him pretty bad against the underside. Nothing broken, but lots of cuts, deep bruising, and some neurological that I hope will pass once things start healing up and the swelling goes down.

Wife got a good look at the truck, and the #*$&@^#$&*$*(@# (insert whatever choice phrase you wish here--they all passed my lips this morning) had better hope to God I'm not as mad when I find him as I was a couple hours ago. There's a handful out in the area that seem to think our road is a secondary highway--40 to 50 isn't uncommon. Besides us, neighbors on both sides also have animals AND KIDS who are always coming and going amongst us. The county's answer to numerous complaints was to make the 25MPH sign a little bigger and then say "there's not much else we can do for you out there"... [smilie=b:Well, okay then--a 147gr. 30 caliber penetrator through an engine block oughta slow things down a little since they won't let us install speed strips... "We wouldn't advise that" was the best they could muster this time. [smilie=b:

End of public rant---I'm going to go relieve some frustration on some paper targets... decorated with black pick-up trucks instead of bulls-eye circles...

jmort
11-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Bad news. Praying for your dog's complete recovery.

Just Duke
11-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm am so sorry about your dog. PM sent

markinalpine
11-01-2013, 04:56 PM
I have seen locals swerve across the city streets to hit stray dogs, but never saw one connect, yet. Must be a cultural thing, since the drivers have all been brown haired, brown skinned, and drove beat to c-rap "peekups."
Mark :2gunsfiring_v1:

shdwlkr
11-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog

I live in the city and where I am there are more cats then you can shake a stick at and you know something everyone waits for them as some are really old and it takes them a while to walk across the street and yes the neighbors are watching almost any time of the day there is at least one person who is watching who comes and goes and how fast.

I have also seen kids come out of between parked vehicles some on bikes some chasing a ball or some just chasing each other I travel slow in this area more to see what I can see than anything else, but you know is doing so I also may save a pet or child or both.

starnbar
11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Hope your dog pulls through ok its hard to let something like this go especially when they don't even stop to check on em. Just please don't do something stupid so we don't have to have a raffle for the bail money.

shooter93
11-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear this and I know how you feel. I live on a narrow but paved road that has become a "pass through"road. Those who live on it all have pets and certainly don't speed....it's the people using it as a pass through. many morning's I've been passed by those people. The road is maybe 2 miles long and another 2 miles to the local store for coffee. They fly by me like I'm standing still...reach the highway take off again and I pull into the store right behind them. Makes no sense but it has become common place. No law enforcement here so no tickets etc.

unclogum bill
11-01-2013, 06:07 PM
People are creatures of habit. Give it a week, next friday ,same time , would be a good time to say hello.

dragon813gt
11-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. I live in a town(one square mile) where the speed limit is 25 on all but three main roads. You'd think it's a racetrack with how fast people drive. I pull out of my alley like the people are doing 25 even if they aren't. One guy made the mistake of getting on my bumper, flashing his lights, honking the horn and lots of yelling and hand gestures. He didn't realize that two friends of mine pulled out behind him. When I slowly stopped they boxed him in so he couldn't go anywhere. I've never seen someone grovel quicker when three people walked up to his window and asked him what his problem was. Luckily the cops are good about speeders. If you call and complain they will set up and start pulling people over for a few hours and then move on to the next spot.

freebullet
11-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry fer yer dog, hope he makes a complete recovery.

Rangefinder
11-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Here's the "neighborhood" from the front porch. Not real high on the county's priority list for speed enforcement... But I have some good advise and ideas brewing. Thanks for all the well-wishes, prayers, etc. Always appreciated, and always a genuine pleasure to be in such good company.

theperfessor
11-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Hope your dog recovers.

Four feet of 2 x 4 with some spikes in it work pretty good to take out a couple tires and maybe even more. "Must have been construction waste that fell out of the speeding truck that came through right before you."

koehn,jim
11-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Sorry about the dog, try laying a piece of 3 inch pipe across the road, when they hit it at speed things get interesting. A very slight depression in the road of an inch or two makes things interesting at speed as well. the depression would be fine at 25mph but could cause a real problem at 45-50.

firefly1957
11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Good luck hope the dog recovers and learns to watch for traffic better some dogs and even cats do others just don't . I am not sure of your laws here the owner could be ticketed for letting the dog run it is rare but has happened. My dog is good about going off the lawn in the woods or bush i am on a dirt road but 50 mph and faster traffic is common Wally also looks for traffic which is good.

starmac
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Hopefully your dog recovers fully, and maybe learns to stay out of the road when there is a vehicle coming, some do some don't. I wouldn't booby trap the road or do anything to endanger a human life in anyway over this, others are driving the same road.

HeavyMetal
11-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Sadly the only thing that will work here is localized speed bumps, They have been popping up all over LA in areas where the speeders have become a pain.

Mostly residentail areas see this. Your county officials should be able to do this! I would think a small group of concerned local home owner / residents and maybe one viscous LAWYER making an apperance at the next local government back patting session would put the fear of God ( and or a lawsuit) into them once they realize your serious about slowing down traffic.

Should this fail to work my next step would be to locate a very used Yugo and invite the neighbors to shoot it full of holes!

Anything short of grenades and explosives could be used: Then set the car in plain sight of the traffic with you wifes sign 100 feet in front of it, posted from both directions of course!

That will get a reaction from the local government,LOL!

dragon813gt
11-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Sadly the only thing that will work here is localized speed bumps,
I hate this solution. There areas by me that have them. They're in areas that people use to cut through to avoid traffic. A few of my vehicles are extremely low and I can get stuck on the speed bumps if I don't cross them at the correct angle. But I also can't get into and out of driveways or get a jack under these cars as well :laugh:

HeavyMetal
11-01-2013, 09:21 PM
I"ll tell ya I am not found of the speed bump answer myself, but we've had more than one case of Moronic racers doing over 100 in residental areas losing control and killing themselves and innocents in thier beds!

Plenty of places around to take that action doing it in Gramma's front yard is Magnum Stupid!

So while I hate speed bumps they deter the ones who have no sense! By the way the ones used here a very wide, 2 foot, and very low 4 inch max I think. Driving 25 give you a slight roll but go faster and it canget ugly fast!

Thats what the OP needs.

starmac
11-01-2013, 09:25 PM
LOL The frontend shops love them.

MaryB
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Used to be a problem in front of my house as kids left school and headed out of town burning tires and racing in a 30mph zone with kids and pets. Then I gave the deputies and town cop permission to use my driveway and hide behind a big bush. 45 tickets(about 1/4 of the school) later the kids quit racing in my end of town.

Hardcast416taylor
11-01-2013, 10:33 PM
My dirt road gets the same jet jockeys as yours does. Some other neighbors and a few farmers have "visited" the local township board meetings and "talked" about this problem. We only have 1 county cop per shift in our township and he seemingly has other pressing duties than to work our stretch of road. We also found out that they can fly down our dirt road at 45 mph as that is the legal limit for a dirt road. It is only a matter of time before there is an accident with either a farmers piece of equipment or a school bus or an animal in the road or another idiot driver going in the other direction. We were told NOT to take matters into our own hands trying to slow down these "low flying jet jockeys".Robert

Blacksmith
11-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Since the local government said no to speed bumps they probably would just remove them if you put one in. I see yours is a dirt road, how is it for pot holes? Around here any small depression in a dirt road turns into a pot hole pretty fast especially if water sits in them, and when they are full of water you cant be sure how deep they are. Also our dirt roads are prone to "Washboarding" a series of parallel ridges across the road they arn't too bad going slow but at speed they will shake your teeth out. It seems like once a couple of dips or ridges form if they are the right distance apart the bouncing of the car wheels seem to extend and deepen these until there is a whole series of of washboards. If you Google either Washboard road, or gravel road pothole you will learn a lot more.

You didn't hear this from me, but ... one cannot ignore that strategic placement of fresh horse poop piles on the road has a way of momentarily checking people away from the Indy 500 mindset. Manure is easily replaced, biodegradable. Messy on the tires and car body. Rather like a "natural" traffic calming.

Of course with all that loose gravel flying around those speeders should be careful or they might have a slingshot sized stone hit their windshield. Same reason you don't want to follow a firetruck to close something may fall off the truck or it could kick up a stone.

MtGun44
11-01-2013, 11:36 PM
An inverted "speed bump" would be the best solution. Dig it about 3"-4 deep and 6"-8 wide. They WILL slow down.

Of course an 18" deep accidentally made pothole might work, too.

Bill

jcwit
11-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Also our dirt roads are prone to "Washboarding" a series of parallel ridges across the road they arn't too bad going slow but at speed they will shake your teeth out.

You didn't hear this from me, but ... one cannot ignore that strategic placement of fresh horse poop piles on the road has a way of momentarily checking people away from the Indy 500 mindset. Manure is easily replaced, biodegradable. Messy on the tires and car body. Rather like a "natural" traffic calming.

While I sympathize with the OP, and its terrible what happened to his dog.

At slightly higher speed the washboard road will smooth out. I know as we here in No. Indiana Amish country have many such roads.

And regarding the horse manure, I'd sure like to just how/why that would slow anyone down, its all over our roads and little if any attention is paid to it. The same goes for the honey wagons hauling liquid manure down a road and that is much much worse that fresh horse manure.

Just Duke
11-02-2013, 04:58 AM
I just saw the sign. In this political climate I would strongly advise removing the sign and deposing of it and leaving no trace. When I lived in CO they are extremely anti gun. I have lost jobs because the owners of the businesses I worked for were anti gun or gun phobes and hated hunting and the shooting sports. I told them it was the gun that liberated them from concentration camps. They said well that was different........
If the local news gets wind of your sign, the city will paint a target on your back for LEO's and the local sycophants will cheer.

Frosty Boolit
11-02-2013, 05:29 AM
It's almost impossible to figure out just the right amount of vigilance to use these days, even when anger has passed and even for very sensible people like castboolits members. I have this same problem on my street. If i call, the police will park a black and white which slows them down but they can't be there all the time. Itold them to sset in my drive behind the pines to generate some revenue for the city but they don't listen. Unfortunately, my solution is to just deal with it. that or make a difference and be made an example out of by the courts system.

Just Duke
11-02-2013, 05:49 AM
It's almost impossible to figure out just the right amount of vigilance to use these days, even when anger has passed and even for very sensible people like castboolits members. I have this same problem on my street. If i call, the police will park a black and white which slows them down but they can't be there all the time. Itold them to sset in my drive behind the pines to generate some revenue for the city but they don't listen. Unfortunately, my solution is to just deal with it. that or make a difference and be made an example out of by the courts system.

Do a citizens arrest. Call the cops and have them meet you at the persons house and tell the cops you want to do a citizens arrest. They will issue the fella a ticket and you both go to court.
A judge will be more that happy to listen to both sides if the case.

Bret4207
11-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Better research the law on a citizens arrest before trying it. You open yourself for all sorts of trouble.

Rangefinder
11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
As much fun as it would be to practice my colonoscopy techniques on the guy with the county's speed sign, I have a better plan. Signs of a more, "neutral " nature first. Then the trap. Us shooters are very good at calculation of speed by time between 2 known points. Add my video camera, varify a speed in excess of 20 over, and let a deputy.run. with it. I know a couple that would be happy to push for wreckless endangerment if they have something solid enough to carry it.

waksupi
11-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Most states, you can only make a citizens arrest for a felony.

blackthorn
11-02-2013, 11:34 AM
See if you can find an old wrecked cop car (junker) and drag/push/pull it so only some (the non-wrecked) part is visable from a distance. That should work for awhile, till they get used to it, then you will also be able to "predict" when to expect the idiot(s) to come through and take appropriate action.

Just Duke
11-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Most states, you can only make a citizens arrest for a felony.

It's the same here. You call the cops and he meets you at the guys house. The cop then issues him a ticket and you both go to court. Him to defend himself and you to tell your story. Different states have different laws. I lived in CO until 1989.

btroj
11-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Keep the dog out of the street?

Just Duke
11-02-2013, 11:45 AM
As much fun as it would be to practice my colonoscopy techniques on the guy with the county's speed sign, I have a better plan. Signs of a more, "neutral " nature first. Then the trap. Us shooters are very good at calculation of speed by time between 2 known points. Add my video camera, varify a speed in excess of 20 over, and let a deputy.run. with it. I know a couple that would be happy to push for wreckless endangerment if they have something solid enough to carry it.

Get your neighbors involved also. The ones that have children would be particularly interested. Take your dog over and ask them if they want their children to end up like this.
The more documentation you can get the better. Courts love documentation. Videos can be placed on Youtube and accessed via the courtroom. I would also contact the local animal right foundation also. Being the collective population of CA move to CO after the earthquake they would surely assist.
If you persue the legal route don't step over the line. Winning this would depends on you being within scope of the law. Keep a cool tone in court also. Let him be the one to blow up. Also local news would be sympathetic and surely interview you.

JakeBlanton
11-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Although I like dogs, I do not put the full blame on the driver. Either train your dog to look out for traffic or train / restrain him so that he stays on your own property and doesn't take a dump on other people's property (especially if the property is across a road). Surely you're not implying that you and your property are too good for your own dog's excrement, right?

Janoosh
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
People really dont know what "modern" police equipment looks like. Go to local home repair depot. Buy cheeep plastic pipe, mock up tripod, spray paint black. Buy cheeep large pipe and silver screen, spray pipe black, mock up radar gun. Mock up wires out of back of pipe, set up contraption near "unmarked" car. It tends to slow people down.

Just Duke
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Is this your gig sir?
North American Survival and Wilderness Education
https://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa

If so is your dog an integral part of your business?

Janoosh
11-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Oh.... I forgot...put blow up doll in drivers seat.

Just Duke
11-02-2013, 12:05 PM

http://www.incrediblegifts.com/policrst.html

Janoosh
11-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Yessir...that would about do it...I'd put a camera on the equipment to catch "Vandals".

schutzen
11-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Talk to your local LE Authority. A town in the next county over was having similar problems. They purchased a "traffic camera" that takes digital pictures of the driver and the license plate of speeding vehicles. The county looks up the plate number on DMV records and mails a ticket to the owner of the vehicle. The camera paid for itself in 6 months and it is much safe to drive in the area.

starmac
11-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Just what we need cameras on every dirt road in the country. I feel for the dog, but they were getting run over by horses before cars ever became the norm.

I am seeing a lot of silly suggestions here, I could just see how tied up our court system would be if you could be issued a speeding ticket on someones word that you were speeding.

btroj
11-02-2013, 01:53 PM
A traffic cam is going to be installed on a dirt road. Dirt road means little traffic, little traffic means little need.
Dog is well trained to run across road to defecate. Maybe it should be trained to stay in the yard and out of the road?

Rangefinder
11-02-2013, 04:19 PM
A traffic cam is going to be installed on a dirt road. Dirt road means little traffic, little traffic means little need.
Dog is well trained to run across road to defecate. Maybe it should be trained to stay in the yard and out of the road?

Dogs--just like kids--don't always look or pay close attention. So which are you trying to justify: dogs (and kids) in a rural area need to be locked up for their own protection, or that it's perfectly fine for someone to mash the gas on a posted 25MPH area (rural or otherwise) if there's no LEO around to catch them? Would you like a photo of what the road looks like around 4:30 on any given weekday when the bus drops off the kids for their walk home? THAT is the bigger picture here and why we've all been fighting with the county for so long already to have a look. We've all said it in one form or another here that an idiot behind the wheel is more dangerous and more frequent than an idiot with a firearm, so perhaps you'd like to expand your perspective a little.

As it stands, I picked up a little extra leverage today to start gathering the necessary documentation to get something done without having to step into a mess of bad territory. The old but very accurate MPH K-15 Doppler Radar Gun in the front seat of my truck has already logged a 42 in a 25 this afternoon in the 10 minutes I spent checking function and tuning. An hour each afternoon for the next week or so of sitting in the driveway with the cam-corder, cup of coffee, log book, and the radar running should provide enough for the local sheriff to justify a few man-hours spent out in our area. There seems to only be a handful who seem to think it's their personal race track, but I'd like to see things handled BEFORE someone's kid gets hit. When those few get zapped once or twice, things ought to get a little more real for them, and those of us who've been insisting on a little attention to the increasing problem might get a little response before someone has to make funeral arrangements.

montana_charlie
11-02-2013, 05:23 PM
So which are you trying to justify: dogs (and kids) in a rural area need to be locked up for their own protection,
Actually, if it's a dog that you value, it should be made to stay at home, even in a rural setting ... maybe even 'especially' in a rural setting.
If it is off of your place, you have no say in what happens to it, and (out in the country) some will shoot a dog because it's 'loose' ... with no consideration of whether or not it's doing anything 'bad'.

I've lost two good dogs that never did anything damaging, but they liked to roam and I didn't prevent it.
My dogs stay at home, now ... always.

As I recall, your opening said your wife let the dog out to take care of business knowing it would probably cross the road.
Any dog that gets run over while on a public road was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the only part of that which changes is whether or not it's the wrong time. It's always the wrong place.

I hope you find a way to control your 'speeders'. I would reserve a special place in hell for those who drive fast on dirt and gravel roads. But, my gripe is over how they damage the roads and make them unfit for the rest of us to use.
Everybody around here is smart enough (so far) to keep kids and animals out of their way.

CM

sparky45
11-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Actually, if it's a dog that you value, it should be made to stay at home, even in a rural setting ... maybe even 'especially' in a rural setting.
If it is off of your place, you have no say in what happens to it, and (out in the country) some will shoot a dog because it's 'loose' ... with no consideration of whether or not it's doing anything 'bad'.

I've lost two good dogs that never did anything damaging, but they liked to roam and I didn't prevent it.
My dogs stay at home, now ... always.

As I recall, your opening said your wife let the dog out to take care of business knowing it would probably cross the road.
Any dog that gets run over while on a public road was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the only part of that which changes is whether or not it's the wrong time. It's always the wrong place.

I hope you find a way to control your 'speeders'. I would reserve a special place in hell for those who drive fast on dirt and gravel roads. But, my gripe is over how they damage the roads and make them unfit for the rest of us to use.
Everybody around here is smart enough (so far) to keep kids and animals out of their way.

CM

That statement is simply NOT TRUE! The seemingly moronic aptitude of the Rural road drivers in my area are constantly looking for some living creature to run over. They swerve to hit, not to avoid hitting an animal. Their special target(s) happen to be Armadillo's , Coon's , opossums, or Turtles. You don't have to witness the killings, just look at the splatter on the road tells the story. BTW, speeding is one of the tools they willingly use.

starmac
11-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I do not swerve to hit any animal, but then again I don't swerve to miss small ones either. In some areas I wouldn't swerve to miss a moose, much less a coon.

dagger dog
11-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Hope the pooch pulls through OK.

They widened our paved rural road, cut back banks and trees for better vision ,put up 45 mph limit (was 55 by law), now they run 60 +, have to keep my new pup on a leash, she's only 7 months, got to watch and listen while going to the mail box or I'll get ran down.

Some times in the summer when I'm outside doing chores it's hard for me to hold back from throwing whatever I have in my hands, hammer, rake, wrench, through the windshield of the car that I hear gunning the throttle around the blind curve on which I live.:x

I'd love to roll a big 400 lb round bale of hay out in front and watch the havoc !!!!

Combat Diver
11-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Wish your dog a speedy recovery and think speed bumps might be the best answer besides a section of track from a M1 Tank!

CD

David2011
11-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Us shooters are very good at calculation of speed by time between 2 known points. Add my video camera, varify a speed in excess of 20 over, and let a deputy.run. with it. I know a couple that would be happy to push for wreckless endangerment if they have something solid enough to carry it.

Easily the most reasonable and legal solution. You could set up a set of visible but subtle markers on the side of the road to make the calculations easy. A start mark at one end and markers at approprite intervals at the other would make easy work of determining speed.

25 mph=36'8" per second
30 mph=44 fps
35 mph=51'4" ps
40 mph=58'8" ps
45 mph=66fps
50 mph=73'4" ps

Double a lower number if necessary.

If they exceed 50 on your 25 mph road the case has been made and you at least have an image of the violator from the side of the vehicle.

My parents were hit by a kid delivering pizza in a similar scenario, so the naysayers are looking at a small portion of the total picture. This is about irresponsible driving more than a dog being in the wrong place, evidenced by the driver's failure to react or respond. They were on a rural road when the pizza guy came driving far too fast on a washboarded road. Washboards may sometimes smooth out at speed but they can also cause a vehicle to become unstable and go sideways. His vehicle went sideways and hit the front end of their vehicle. They were going about 25 mph and the pizza driver was running beteen 40 and 50.

Good luck! Hope the dog recovers fully.

David

Blammer
11-02-2013, 10:26 PM
reverse speed bumps work good too. :)

labdwakin
11-03-2013, 02:35 AM
I have to say... I'm really surprised at the negativity of some of the responses here.

1. The person was speeding excessively. I'm sure no one's going to say anything about 29 mph in a 25 way out in the sticks like that, HOWEVER, 45 mph is almost double the posted limit and like the OP, I think that's unsafe for kids, dogs, grownups, or anything else. The road was assigned that particular speed limit for a REASON poeple!!!

2. When the person his his dog, they didn't even stop... this is obviously a very small community and probably someone that they know, in a small community like this it would be the RIGHT thing to do to stop and let the dog's owner know what happened.

Keep in mind, your rights to liberty and free speech and anything else you can think of only extend to the point that they start affecting those same rights of someone else!

contender1
11-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I too wish the dog a full recovery.
I too see the problem of speeding on back roads, side roads, residential neighborhoods etc.
By all means use legal methods to deal with it.
Once, at my old house,, we had a neighbor who sped past my house all the time.
First, I asked politely for him to slow down.
Next, I firmly told him kids & pets were on this road often & he needed to slow down.
He ignored all of this.
He failed to understand the law. My property deed, as well as all the deeds there put my property line to the middle of the road. I contacted my adjoining property owners, and all agreed to allow me to install a speed bump in the road. (In writing.) I installed a temporary one until I could contract, (at my expense) a permanent one, directly beside my house. (My house only sat 20 ft off the road.)
He came through one morning, saw the speed bump, slammed on his brakes & stopped. He got out of his truck, SLAMMED his door, (upon which, the window broke into a thousand pieces,) & got on his county issued fire dept radio to call the police.
The police arrived.
I stood to the side while he ranted & raved at the chief of police.
When the chief came to me, & STARTED to tell me to remove it, I POLITELY told him "No." Then I politely told him; " I asked him to stop speeding, then I asked him a second time explaining the pets & kids issues. He has ignored me. I filed a complaint with the PD, (just before he became chief,) and was ignored. I also own to the center of the road, and with my written permission I installed this speed bump. So Chief, YOU tell me what to do to get this supposedly community active individual to slow down? I'm within the law & YOU need to enforce it."
The chief looked over my paperwork, started to walk away with it, I told him to return my papers, he did. He then went to the other guy & told him that I was exercising my rights, and had full legal documentation to put up a speed bump.
I then told both of them that I would remove my speed bump IF the LEO's would patrol my road, AND the guy would agree to slow down on that road.
It worked.
But I still laugh about his truck window.

Do things legally, and you can get results.

blackthorn
11-03-2013, 11:51 AM

That's the sprit---GO GREEN---recycle, reuse and duel purpose!!!

JakeBlanton
11-03-2013, 01:54 PM
That statement is simply NOT TRUE! The seemingly moronic aptitude of the Rural road drivers in my area are constantly looking for some living creature to run over. They swerve to hit, not to avoid hitting an animal. Their special target(s) happen to be Armadillo's , Coon's , opossums, or Turtles. You don't have to witness the killings, just look at the splatter on the road tells the story. BTW, speeding is one of the tools they willingly use.

Sometimes what you think are them trying to swerve to hit an animal is in fact them either trying to straddle the animal so that it does not get hit by the tires or just trying to avoid the animal, but failing to do so. I have found that the animals that are most deserving to be hit are also the ones that are the most difficult to hit -- cats and squirrels are pretty fast.

JakeBlanton
11-03-2013, 02:04 PM
As it stands, I picked up a little extra leverage today to start gathering the necessary documentation to get something done without having to step into a mess of bad territory. The old but very accurate MPH K-15 Doppler Radar Gun in the front seat of my truck has already logged a 42 in a 25 this afternoon in the 10 minutes I spent checking function and tuning. An hour each afternoon for the next week or so of sitting in the driveway with the cam-corder, cup of coffee, log book, and the radar running should provide enough for the local sheriff to justify a few man-hours spent out in our area. There seems to only be a handful who seem to think it's their personal race track, but I'd like to see things handled BEFORE someone's kid gets hit. When those few get zapped once or twice, things ought to get a little more real for them, and those of us who've been insisting on a little attention to the increasing problem might get a little response before someone has to make funeral arrangements.

Just make sure to have this set up and someone else operating it for when YOU come down the road also. Since you *always* drive at the posted speed limit, this won't be a problem for you, right? :)

Since no kids have been hit, their speeding has not apparently been a safety issue. It would seem that you are just using that as an excuse because your dog was hit. Sorry about your dog, but if he had stayed on your own property, you probably would not have started this post to complain about the supposed speeders on your rural dirt road.

Blacksmith
11-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Since no kids have been hit, their speeding has not apparently been a safety issue.

So a child must die before it is an issue? Being proactive will prevent a tragedy, today a dog tomorrow maybe your child.

If the speed limit is incorrect let the speeder get it changed while obeying the law until he succeeds. You should obey the law because it is the LAW no matter if you agree with it or not. What do you feel about politicians ignoring the plain language of the second amendment just because they don't agree with it? If you don't like the law as written work to change it but obey it as long as it is the law.

Rangefinder
11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Jake, I'm going to be straight forward and blunt--GO READ previous posts before you open your mouth again.

45 2.1
11-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I see a lot of you are from the city..................

sparky45
11-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Glad you said it before I did Rangefinder. City folk have no idea what happens on rural gravel roads.

unclogum bill
11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Use to live in a National forest on a mining claim. They run a Marathon of city folks down the road once a year. One year someone (no it wasn't me,but maybe my kid ) changed the sign direction , ran the lot up a dead end road. To prevent that some genius spray painted a 800# boulder orange and then put an arrow on it. After two weeks I got tired of looking at it and spray painted it gray. They hadn't run the Marathon yet. I did not know that. and when they did the city folks was lost again. Newspaper ran an article that police were looking for leads in the great boulder thief. There's city thinking for you. Cause I man chooses to live in the open space doesn't give people a right to speed,hit and run and cause mayhem .Man should act decent wherever he is.

Duckiller
11-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Contender is right about his deed running to the middle of the road. What he didn't say is the local agency has an easement for a road on his property. Without a permit from the local road agency his speed bump is illegal. Your local government controls the road and you can't modify it without a permit. The fact that the Chief of Police didn't know this just proves that you shouldn't go to the police for legal advice. If some one or their property is injured by Contender's unauthorized speed bump he may have serious legal and financial problems. However if he can get the city/county to authorize the speed bump and build it to ASHTO standards he is home free. Most people are underlying fee owner of roadways to the middle of the street. You just can't do anything that interferes with the road without a permit.

JakeBlanton
11-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Jake, I'm going to be straight forward and blunt--GO READ previous posts before you open your mouth again.

Unlike many people, I read all the previous posts so that I'm not repeating something that has already been said. I stand by my comments.

JakeBlanton
11-03-2013, 10:06 PM
So a child must die before it is an issue? Being proactive will prevent a tragedy, today a dog tomorrow maybe your child.

If the speed limit is incorrect let the speeder get it changed while obeying the law until he succeeds. You should obey the law because it is the LAW no matter if you agree with it or not. What do you feel about politicians ignoring the plain language of the second amendment just because they don't agree with it? If you don't like the law as written work to change it but obey it as long as it is the law.

So, the law is always right? As far as I'm concerned, that is total BS. Maybe that sort of thinking is a Yankee thing. If they created a law that outlawed your particular religion, would you follow it? There is "legal" and there is "moral" -- unfortunately they don't intersect often enough these days.

With respect to the 2nd Amendment, how much do you believe in it with respect to the intentions of the Founding Fathers?

Are you a TRUE CONSERVATIVE? (http://www.spambob.net/jakeblanton/true-conservative.html)

Rangefinder
11-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Unlike many people, I read all the previous posts so that I'm not repeating something that has already been said. I stand by my comments.

That's nice--I guess you missed this part from the first post, or do I need to pull county records of all the speed complaints on this road that have increased dramatically over the last couple years? Since you haven't the faintest grasp what's been going on here, I'll sum it up quickly. Since the housing market crashed, this area had pretty cheap land. Quite a few people snatched it up, put a trailer house on it, and decided to ride things out. Since the economy crashed, most of them have moved to areas with more job availability. Since selling isn't happening, there are a lot renting for dirt-cheap. Well, you can imagine dirt-cheap rent has attracted a few from town who like the fact LE is rarely seen. Now, who might one think are the local racers are primarily? Starting to figure it out?

I haven't used the ignore function in a long time--but now I think it's due.

JakeBlanton
11-03-2013, 10:23 PM
That's nice--while you're at it, go stand by it elsewhere. Thanks.

I haven't used the ignore function in a long time--but now I think it's due.

Fine! You want to bring up the issue of kids possibly being hit, but you have provided no evidence that this is an issue. Plenty of kids walk to school or to the bus stops along roads with speed limits higher than you are claiming that the people are driving and they do it without any problems. I've seen school bus stops along farm roads that had 65-70 mph speed limits when I was driving through rural areas down South. In fact, your local kids seem to be able to handle this without a problem (otherwise, I'm sure you would have mentioned it). You are upset because your dog was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be and unfortunately paid the price for it. You are wanting to blame someone else for it other than the person who allowed the dog to leave his property. Your dog could have been hit just as easily if the person was driving the speed limit.

Heavy lead
11-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Including this one you made in post #55 "I have found that the animals that are most deserving to be hit are also the ones that are the most difficult to hit -- cats and squirrels are pretty fast."?????
Really??
I hope you're proud of yourself.
I find it cold, callous and shameful.

Rangefinder, I hope your dog recovers fully, it's sad and shows the true intention that they didn't even have the decency to stop when the did hit your dog.

Bored1
11-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Rangefinder, I also hope your dog has a fast recovery.

It's never any good when one of your family members is hurt.

contender1
11-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Duckiller,, where I'm at,, it is a small town, and a town MAINTAINED road. That is the ONLY rights they had. It was in a private area, and we had given the town permission to maintain it only. In fact, the section/area all close to my house was paved,, while the rest of the 1.2 mile circle was dirt. We, (those of us in a small section, about 500 ft of road,) had paid a private contractor to pave our portion. There were only 5 of us who owned property there.
So, we were legal in my installation of a speed bump. I had double checked things with an attorney prior to working on this issue. I had even pointed out to the chief of police that if he wished, he could research the town records to see where we (the property owners) had gotten permission to post the speed limit on that road at an open town meeting well over 10 years before my issues.
Basically, that road is a private road, where the town wanted to use it to access some other property. As the property owners knew to NOT give up any rights, we only allowed a maintenance easement to the town. We later got the permission to post the speed limit as long as we allowed the PD to patrol it.

In a separate case, on another piece of property we own, the state highway dept got a maintenance ONLY right of way from us. We specified how far off the center line they were allowed to mow, cut, clean etc. It is in our deed. When a contractor hired to mow & cut trees back went too far & destroyed a pear tree in front of a house we owned,, we filed a complaint. When the state inspector arrived, he was politely confronted with a copy of our deed.
The state paid to have 3 new pear trees planted, all well established & agreed to be maintained by an arborist for 3 years. They now have a different contractor to mow & trim the area.

My point is this;
Obey the law and make sure it is on your side. Document, and use facts. You can make changes happen.

JakeBlanton
11-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Including this one you made in post #55 "I have found that the animals that are most deserving to be hit are also the ones that are the most difficult to hit -- cats and squirrels are pretty fast."?????
Really??
I hope you're proud of yourself.
I find it cold, callous and shameful.

Yep, even that one. Apparently you've never had $1000 worth of repairs done because some damn squirrel decided that the wiring on your vehicle was tasty. You've also probably never had the paint job ruined on your car because some cat-lady neighbor decided that their yard wasn't good enough for their cat's excrement and let the cat run loose in the neighborhood, climbing on people's cars and scratching up their paint job. They're both pests as far as I'm concerned and if one is stupid enough to get under the wheel of my vehicle, I will not try to avoid it.

Yeah, I'm cold and callous -- it's a prerequisite for being a curmudgeon.

Just Duke
11-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Lets be a little sympathetic to this fella during his bereavement guys.

Duckiller
11-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Contender yes you have speed bump rights on a private road. I didn't want anyone putting a speed bump on a public road without permission.

unclogum bill
11-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Yep, even that one. Apparently you've never had $1000 worth of repairs done because some damn squirrel decided that the wiring on your vehicle was tasty. You've also probably never had the paint job ruined on your car because some cat-lady neighbor decided that their yard wasn't good enough for their cat's excrement and let the cat run loose in the neighborhood, climbing on people's cars and scratching up their paint job. They're both pests as far as I'm concerned and if one is stupid enough to get under the wheel of my vehicle, I will not try to avoid it.

Yeah, I'm cold and callous -- it's a prerequisite for being a curmudgeon.
an irritable and complaining person <only a curmudgeon would object to the nursing home's holiday decorations>
Synonyms bear, bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, croaker, crosspatch, curmudgeon, fusser, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer, sourpuss, whiner
Related Words hunks; malcontent, sorehead; grinch, killjoy, party pooper, spoilsport; defeatist, pessimist; faultfinder, kicker, nagger, nitpicker, objector, quibbler, repiner; crock [slang], hypochondriac
Jake, I'm worried about you, have you looked to Jesus?

Blacksmith
11-04-2013, 12:36 AM
So, the law is always right?
Are you a TRUE CONSERVATIVE? (http://www.spambob.net/jakeblanton/true-conservative.html)

No the law is not always right but it is always the law until it is changed. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Yes I am a true conservative but I won't try to carry a firearm on a plane until the law is changed. I am actively working hard to get some of the more egregious ones changed in my state.

waksupi
11-04-2013, 02:01 AM
I'll have to sort through the infraction files, but I think I see a candidate for one in this thread.

JakeBlanton
11-04-2013, 02:29 AM
an irritable and complaining person <only a curmudgeon would object to the nursing home's holiday decorations>
Synonyms bear, bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, croaker, crosspatch, curmudgeon, fusser, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer, sourpuss, whiner
Related Words hunks; malcontent, sorehead; grinch, killjoy, party pooper, spoilsport; defeatist, pessimist; faultfinder, kicker, nagger, nitpicker, objector, quibbler, repiner; crock [slang], hypochondriac

You forgot "grumpy old man". I've worked a long time becoming this way, suffered a lot of pain in the process, and I'm going to enjoy it for however much time I have left. I figure at best, I only have 20 more years to enjoy this (and that's probably even stretching it).

contender1
11-04-2013, 09:32 AM
+1 Duckiller!

mold maker
11-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Did you google my name, or did you talk to my wife?
It's hard to keep up such a reputation.

sparky45
11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Rangefinder; how's the dog doing today? Hope all is well.

shdwlkr
11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I wonder how a speed bump followed by a dip in the road of say around a foot and maybe 4 inches deep would affect the traffic flow.
Yea I used to do a lot of road work and have to deal with the traveling public not paying attention to signs in the construction zone. Remember in most states they are not public roads if under construction even if you can still drive there.

Oh well there will be days and then there will be other days

hope the dog is doing well and getting better and that you find a nice way to slow the traffic down

wake up strips are nice too as they make such a sound when you drive over them.

Rangefinder
11-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Rangefinder; how's the dog doing today? Hope all is well.

Well... We won't know for certain for a few more days--he spent most of yesterday in surgery. With all the testing over the weekend we'd found he'd gotten his bladder ruptured with the impact. It was enough force that it severed all the abdominal muscles on one side, and they were afraid there was too much damage to be repaired so suggested putting him down before even opening him up. NOPE, he's still trying to hold on, I'm going to give him that chance. If and when he decides to give up, he'll let me know. Doc said OK--opened him, repaired what could be, and he survived the night. Today he was drugged up pretty good when I went by to visit, but still trying to be perky anyway--shocked the heck out of BOTH his doctors that he not only survived but showed considerable improvement today. So now we're just keeping fingers crossed and tightening belts to make sure our furry boy AND the doc's that took such good care in piecing him back together are all taken very good care of.

sparky45
11-05-2013, 10:43 PM
That's encouraging news. I hate it when animals get hurt or have emergency conditions. I recently had to resuscitate one of our little dogs. Ate to fast and got a piece of food lodged over the windpipe and couldn't breathe. I only noticed the dog after she went all 4 legs straight up in the air. I grabbed her but couldn't get the obstruction cleared. So I started mouth to mouth, or more accurately mouth to snout resp. Very difficult to get a seal and the airway was really plugged tight. Eventually I got some air to her and her lifeless body started to respond, enough that she opened her eyes. I then quickly thrust my index finger to the back of her throat in an attempt to dislodge the obstruction and she coughed blowing out the object. I rushed her over to my neighbors house (he has a welding set up) and got her several minutes of pure Oxygen. She's doing fine now and doesn't show any signs of neurological damage, all thanks to the Lord Almighty!
I'm praying for your pet's continued recovery.
Sparky45