PDA

View Full Version : Anyone deer hunting in Ohio?

jonk
11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Last year was my first year out and I saw zilch- just a bunch of other hunters. Who were in the woods a LONG time before they should have been- the hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset and I get there a half hour before sunrise to see an army of orange already ensconsed in the woods. Their choice, I suppose they could make a case that they weren't really HUNTING yet, just standing there but I'd prefer to play it safe in case Mr. Ranger comes along. Oh and they were all pissed at me for walking by them on my way into the woods.

This year I hope to get something. But I want to avoid at least the most swamped public grounds. Any suggestions as to where I might turn? I don't know anyone with land....... :(

Bullshop
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
You should try going northwest about 4000 miles. Its much better hunting and you hardly see other hunters. Thats where I go.
Sorry man that was really insencitive of me but sometimes the jerk in me just stands out.
I wanna make up for it so will offer an invite to come hunt with us. You come stay with us for awhile with our 7 wild sprouts and after that you may be real happy to hunt in Ohio.
Like when this city fella was drivin by the river and saw the hillbilly fishin so stops to see how he is doin. CF says toHB are ya catchin any? HB say nope. CF says well watcha usin for bait? HB says aint usin no bait. CF says well you aint gonna catch no fish without bait. HB says PERFECT, I dont like cetchin fish I jest like fishin.
BIC/BS

jonk
11-09-2007, 01:29 PM
If I had a week off I'd actually take you up on that. But I don't so I can't.

waksupi
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Zonk, I'm not in Ohio, but can give you a tip on heavily hunted areas.
Hunt slow. Look more than you move. One or two steps, and glass. The deer lie tight when there are a lot of people around. A buck will sometimes crawl into a brush pile. Look at fence rows, or fields where the crops have been harvested. They will also go out in the middle of these, and lay low during the day. If it will hide a rabbit, it will hide a deer.

Bullshop
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Stay with us for one day and it will seem like a month. Aughta work out about right.
I say lotsa stupid stuff in jest here but the offer is real and goes to any members that would take it up. You may have to adjust to the accomidations though.
That there is some good advice from Waksupi right there.
BIC/BS

garandsrus
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Bullshop,

Do you have a guide license? I know that some species can't be hunted without a guide in Alaska. I do hope to hunt there some day. I have visited twice, but not in the past 10 years.

Thanks,
John

Johnch
11-09-2007, 08:41 PM
jonk What part of Ohio do you hope to hunt ?

As I live just outside of Toledo and head down to Zaliski State forest to hunt Bambi

I for 1 am in my tree stand 1 hour before legal hunting time
That allows the woods to go back to sleep before shooting time

I talked to a Gamewarden about this several years ago
She told me , as long as your gun isn't loaded , you are fine

I found if I hunt the thick nasty stuff , well away from the easy acess points
I don't see all the fools
In fact last year , the only guys I saw
Were walking in as I drug out my second deer

But they were headed for the open flat area about 300 yds off the road

I will probely only be 1/4 mile from the road
But 1/2+ mile from any place to park

John

Shepherd2
11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Finding a place to hunt in Ohio is becoming a very big problem. About 40% of our county is owned by coal and power companies and what we call people from UCLA (Upper Canton, Lower Arkon). The word is out that deer hunting in this part of the state is really good and hunters from other states, as well as UCLA, are coming down here and leasing land to hunt on. The power company is charging $12 an acre for a 12 month lease and individuals and groups are leasing hundreds of acres at a clip. A group from West Virginia leased 400 acres next to me. We're only 25 miles from WVA but they say our deer are bigger. They must really like venison.

The land agent for one of AEP's coal companies stopped by here about a month ago. I know the guy fairly well. He was really putting the pressure on me to lease my farm for hunting. I'd already heard that he was going around the area talking to other land owners about leasing. I asked him if the power company thought they would benefit if all the farms were tied up by leases and them having 1000s and 1000s of acres to lease. I didn't get an answer. Just a sh-t eating grin. He kept telling me stories about big leases and gave me web addresses for outfits that will handle leases for you and get you up to $20 an acre.

I'm not going to lease my place. I let people hunt here but I limit the number so they don't get in each other's way.

jonk - I think you might want to scout around for some likely looking places during the off season and ask the owners if you can hunt. The weekend before gun season starts isn't the time to do it . If I can I'll try to help out a guy that walks up and introduces himself. Sometimes I send them to see someone else I think might let them hunt. The guys that drive up and roll down the truck window and yell "Hey, do you allow hunting here?" just get waved on or I walk away. I really hate the guys that stop on the road and expect me to walk over to them and find out what they want. Be polite and courteous and it might pay off. If they won't let you hunt ask if they know someone who might.

waksupi
11-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Good advise from Shepard. Also, if you are asking permission to hunt. If you have an old, beat up vehicle, drive that. If you have a new shiney SUV, or brand new pickup, this cuts some landowners the wrong way. Some of them are struggling to survive on thier land, and don't much care to see Mr. City Slicker roll up, wanting to hunt thier land. I've got permission to hunt ranches, driving my rusty, dented '89 Ranger, where many others aren't granted permission.

Single Shot
11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Game Worden says it is OK to be in the woods early. Just don't knock an arrow or load a gun until legal hunt time.

Same thing for leaving the woods. You can take the time to locate a downed deer but do not have a loaded gun past legal hunting time.

Where are you located? I hunt in Lake, Geauga, and Ashtubla county.

For Opening day of small game season I often go the the Grand river Wildlife area with a bow, get into the woods early, and wait.

When the pheasant hunters start beating the brush, the deer start moving. I used to get a deer every time I did this.

Check some state parks. Several allow hunting about mid October. And the deer are used to people.

Try asking farmers if you can hunt groundhog in the spring. Then they they usually let you hunt everything by fall once they get to know you.