PDA

View Full Version : FLASH HOLE/NIPPLE PICK[to make one?]

Willyp
11-01-2013, 06:15 AM
My son and i have Lyman deer stalkers ,also GPH's. He has lost his flash hole pick,more than once!
What can we use to make a few of these? What type of wire would be stiff enough and what is the dia. of it?

Nobade
11-01-2013, 07:35 AM
I have one that consists of a little drill bit glued into a piece of aluminum rod. That would be cheap and easy to make, and you can get a drill bit that just fits into the hole through the nipple. I also have more traditional ones made from deer antler tips and music wire. They all work.

-Nobade

Sasquatch-1
11-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Not sure how small the hole is, but couldn't you use a paper clip or a brad or finishing nail the right size?

waksupi
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
I go to the hobby shop, and get some of what I call music wire. Very hard and stiff. Comes in about 36" lengths. You can take along a nipple or vent liner to get a proper size.

country gent
11-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Welding supplys tores sell a tip cleaner with a set of wires one will does fit the ipples vents touch holes and can be used very efficently.

Rattus58
11-01-2013, 12:21 PM
My son and i have Lyman deer stalkers ,also GPH's. He has lost his flash hole pick,more than once!
What can we use to make a few of these? What type of wire would be stiff enough and what is the dia. of it?You could easily pick one up from a welding supply shot... tip cleaners.

Never mind.... what ^^^^^ sayed :p

GunSlingerNM
11-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Call a piano tuner and get old piano wire. Works great and most likely would cost little or nothing.

siamese4570
11-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I use a small copper wire on my GPR. Doesn't need to be that stiff IMO. Just stripped the insulation off about an inch of it and twisted a loop on the other end. The nipple pick along with my primer flask and a small pan brush are on a string that I wear around my neck. Also I'm not to sure about steel on steel when messing with black powder. just my $0.02 worth.
siamese4570

Willyp
11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks,folks. All are good ideas and i will trying them.

10 ga
11-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I just use paper clips or dehaired (singed) pipe cleaners. If a bit thick a little file work or time with an emery board or sandpaper will thin them down. 10

quilbilly
11-01-2013, 11:42 PM
If you know a place that sells fishing lure components, .036 wires used for heavy duty spinners will work great as will the even heavier wire used to make spinner baits.

Hellgate
11-02-2013, 12:29 AM
I go to a hobby shop and buy model railroad wire. It is springy and twists nicely and solders nicely to make nipple picks. I always have at least a half dozen and pass them out at shoots to novice shooters. They are really cheap, maybe a couple bucks for ten wires about 18" long. Previously I would buy banjo & guitar stel strings and make picks from them. Much more expensive however.