PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a really Nice Press

skeet028
11-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Went to a friends place yesterday with a bunch of reloading stuff for him..he needed powder and bullets. Did a little shooting at his range(bench in the garage). Anyway. I ended up buying a Forster Co-Ax press.New but no box. Had all the papers and parts. Never really used one but thought I just hadda have it. Best part is..I got it a RCBS powder measure stand and an old Ohaus Duo Measure in good shape w/box for 85 bucks. Whoo Hoo. Now I gotta figure out how to use it. And what for. The Duo Measure is going somewhere else..but I'll list it on S&S in a couple days. Anybody ever used one of these presses. Pluses or minuses??

Safeshot
11-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Forster Co-AxPress is a very nice press. It mounts on top of your loading bench and takes less space for the handle stroke than most. It has good mechanical advantage (some users even make a short handle for use when loading handgun ammo.). It catches the spent primers very nicely. Usually uses a "universal" shell holder that works for a lot of calibers. It is "different" than a "C" type single station press. It is very easy and quick to change dies. You may want to get some "Forester" or "RCBS" type die locking rings if you have Lee dies that you want to use in the Forester Press. Priming with it is different and also works well for most cartridges. They seem to be in demand. Good find and a good "deal".

bobthenailer
11-01-2013, 08:20 AM
A+ You did well ! the current price new in the Midsouth SS catilog for the press is $264.00 and the powder measure is the same as the RCBS powder measure @$77.00 and $25.00 for a stand or $366.00 new pricing of equipmet for $85.00

skeet028
11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. I knew I dun good. but didn't realize the press was that expensive. I thought about 200. The Ohaus Duo-measure was a great measure but the plastic hopper cracked at the neck in the bottom I turned a metal one on the lathe and fitted it. Still using it. The top takes a Dillon powder measure tube..on the one I "fixed". The powder measure stand is as new and i will keep it as it is the older threaded type. Only need one nut to keep it tight. Not long ago I bought a Redding Turret press new also..Put it on a Dillon Strong mount so I can put it on top of the bench to load with. I have 4 or 5 4 hole CH presses I mount the same way. Take up no space on the bench when not in use. I gotta start gettin rid of some of this stuff. It is a disease collecting reloading items..I even have 2 RCBS A2s 1-2A and 2 A3s...and a whole bunch of older Rockchuckers

Swede44mag
11-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Congrats you stole the Forster Co-Ax press at that price. I bought one to replace my RCBS Rock-Chucker I have arthritis and my hands dont like to screw the dies in anymore.
I like the snap in die system once adjusted it takes no time to switch between calibers.
I load all of my rifle shells on the Forster Co-Ax press and my pistol shells on one of my Dillon 550b presses (one for small one for large primers)
I have moved some of my reloading stuff into the bedroom I don't have to think about the weather it gets too hot in the Garage in the summer to reload.
Bought a Kennedy reloading benches when Sportsman’s warehouse was going out of business.

Rory McCanuck
11-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Co-axs are selling for almost $400 up here, and no one can keep them in stock!
A box of beer for your friend might not be amiss ;)
I use some Lee dies with their original rings and have no problems.
It is very different to use, but once you get used to it, it is very, very nice.

brtelec
11-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I love my Co-Ax press. The nicest accessory I have purchased for it is an improved shell holder jaw plate. These are heavier and they are machined to be perfectly aligned. One of the nicest things about it is that it holds the springs captive so they can not fly across the room.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_0121.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/fzrmax/media/IMG_0121.jpg.html)

hornetman
11-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Where did you get the new shell holder jaw plates? Is that from Forrester? I've used the Co-Ax for years and my only complaint is trying to contain the springs when I change the jaws?

1hole
11-01-2013, 05:13 PM
"The Duo Measure is going somewhere else.."

For goodness sake, NO!

brtelec
11-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Where did you get the new shell holder jaw plates? Is that from Forrester? I've used the Co-Ax for years and my only complaint is trying to contain the springs when I change the jaws?

PM Sent

Swede44mag
11-01-2013, 05:56 PM
brtelec Same Question where did you get the shell holder? I dont like to change mine because of the spring and I can't see the small stuff like I use to.

bbqncigars
11-02-2013, 08:47 PM
One thing to remember about the Co-Ax shell holder is that you can trim the base of an RCBS style shell holder to the point that it can be grabbed like an ordinary case rim for fast conversions. I would NOT get rid of the Duo Measure. I've got two that handle almost anything except 4759 and Varget. The B&M get those.

Pilgrim Sojourner
11-02-2013, 09:02 PM
brtelec,
I would appreciate your info as well regarding your improved shell holder jaw plate for your Forester Co-Ax press. Is this something you make or purchase elsewhere? Any any other Co-Ax accessories you have found worthwhile? Thanks.

PM sent.

skeet028
11-02-2013, 09:32 PM
brtelec My question too. Shellplates?? Where are they available? Guys..the Duo-measure is a nice measure and I have another one anyway. I also have at least 6 Lyman 55s a couple of RCBS and others including a couple of SAECOs and 2 Hollywoods. Also have Francis Quick measure. The Lyman's do as well or better than most. BTW I do use most of them. I load for 31 different calibers and 5 shotshell gauges. I am starting to cull the herd a bit though. Getting rid of all the Rock Chuckers and the 2A and a A2 is going..maybe even one of the A3s. I do not swage bullets any more and haven't for many years so they are really too big for most loading. I hate to say it..but my 50BMG press is a Lee. But it do load 'em ok

r1kk1
11-03-2013, 08:19 AM
I also would like more information on the shellholder jaw plate.

r1kk1

flashhole
11-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Good score, you might consider giving him one of the Rockchuckers if you are trying to downsize.

Dan Cash
11-03-2013, 09:33 AM
The only down side for some with the Co-Ax is that it does not work really well with push through sizing dies, gas check makers, wad cutter dies. It does not bother me as I use an arbor press for some oth that and an ancient Herters "C" press for the push through sizing. Did I mention that I have 2 Co-Ax presses on my bench? You got a great deal on yours.

leadhead
11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I bought a plate from Forster that uses regular shell holders. Works great.
Don't know if they still offer it or not.
Denny

skeet028
11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
The only down side for some with the Co-Ax is that it does not work really well with push through sizing dies, gas check makers, wad cutter dies. It does not bother me as I use an arbor press for some oth that and an ancient Herters "C" press for the push through sizing. Did I mention that I have 2 Co-Ax presses on my bench? You got a great deal on yours.
Well I don't use those type of things very ofter. I have so many presses I can pretty much do most anything with others. I also have a few Herter's presses and other items. I deprime with a universal die on an old Herter's Super Model 3 and still use a Model 81 2 ram press every now and again,. I even have an old 3 ram Pacific Supermag press. All big chunks of American Iron. I like the older presses. Most of the Rockchuckers are the early ones.... with the aluminum primer catchers.. Course..I am older too. Think all that old stuff is in better shape than me..LOL

Toobroke
11-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I would also like the info for those captive spring shell holder plates

hornetman
11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Those of you who asked about where to get the shell holder plates discussed above-check you PM.

r1kk1
11-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks Hornetman!

r1kk1

brtelec
11-04-2013, 02:20 AM
My internet has been down for the last day. Pm's out.

skeet028
11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Co-axs are selling for almost $400 up here, and no one can keep them in stock!
A box of beer for your friend might not be amiss ;)

Hey Rory..is a box of beer like a box of wine?? I got this gal friend a box of wine and 2 straws..should I send straws with the beer?? Not being a drinker I know next to nothing about likker..

mdi
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
A "hijack", sorta. When using a co-ax, with the handle/lever in your right hand, sitting a bit to the left of center of the press, how is it feeding cases into the shell holder? It looks like you must feed from directly in front, that big hands may not fit in the press "throat"...

Very interested in owning one.

brtelec
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM
A "hijack", sorta. When using a co-ax, with the handle/lever in your right hand, sitting a bit to the left of center of the press, how is it feeding cases into the shell holder? It looks like you must feed from directly in front, that big hands may not fit in the press "throat"...

Very interested in owning one.

There is no problem with clearance and it is easy to place and remove cases. If you find clearance is an issue, check out Inline Fabrications link above. They make a curved linkage for the Co-Ax that allows more clearance.

Rory McCanuck
11-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Hey Rory..is a box of beer like a box of wine?? I got this gal friend a box of wine and 2 straws..should I send straws with the beer?? Not being a drinker I know next to nothing about likker..
Lol to make them easier to handle, they put the bottles or cans into boxes of 12, 18, 24 or some such.
So, a box of beer, or maybe a bottle of nice wine or hard stuff.
Of course, if they don't drink you might have to put some thought into getting something nice.

mdi:
I use a very different rhythm with the Co-ax than with conventional presses.
Pick up case with left hand, and pass it to my right hand.
Right hand is placing the case as the left is grabbing the yoke to swing the handle down to the right hand.
Right hand does the power of the stroke, and flips the handle up for the left to catch.
Left eases it back to the stop as the right is moving the case into an Akro bin on the right.

It sounds more complicated than it really is, as it goes pretty smoothly.
Sometimes too smoothly, as I've crunched a couple of cases that didn't drop into the jaws properly, and went cockeyed as I was ramming it into the die. Only happens when I'm belling a straight wall, as it takes no effort and goes really quickly and I'm not paying as much attention as I should.

I find that the case has to go in from directly in front. The links block off the sides enough that I can't get them in with my left hand. It really isn't an inconvenience.

It is quite different to use, but it's pretty nice.

skeet028
11-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Well the fellow doesn't drink so maybe I'll get his wife something.. he has more **** than I have....well maybe not. I have a couple partial boxes of bullets he can use to reload some ammo with..then I can help him shoot it up..LOL

Rory McCanuck
11-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Hehe, I like that solution.
Everybody benefits :)

Manzgear
11-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey guys this is Mike, the guy who made those forster jaw plate upgrades..
Clark is the original guy who made an upgrade.. I had issues and contacted him. He said he would not make anymore.. He's a pretty nice guy. ANyways I made one and then I made a few changes from his design and thats the story.

r1kk1
11-09-2013, 03:20 PM
My b/o coax is finally shipping! I'm a happy camper. Now a rock dock from Marlin, a few trinkets from inline and plates from Mike. Oh happy days! It will look nice next to the Champion and the Ultramag.

Take care

r1kk1

brtelec
11-09-2013, 03:35 PM
You are going to love your Co-Ax. I wanted one of these for many many years and when I finally got one it did not disappoint. With the jaw plate upgrade it just gets better. I am happy for you.

r1kk1
11-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank you brtelec!

I can't wait! It was B/O forever it seems.

I just can't wait!

Take care

r1kk1

milprileb
11-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Couple fo things for Co Ax:

a. I got a roller handle for it from inlinefabrication which is great to use .

b. They sell a strong mount with interchangeable heads so you can mount many presses to it... including the Co Ax.

c. I got 2 CO Ax presses and one never gets used as I can't figure out what a man does to need two of them. I am confused but I like having 2.

r1kk1
11-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Couple fo things for Co Ax:

a. I got a roller handle for it from inlinefabrication which is great to use .

b. They sell a strong mount with interchangeable heads so you can mount many presses to it... including the Co Ax.

c. I got 2 CO Ax presses and one never gets used as I can't figure out what a man does to need two of them. I am confused but I like having 2.

Does the roller handle work for the B3s? His website says it for older models. I really like the RockDocks because of my needs in moving everything into a gooseneck trailer. They fit on a shelf when not needed and I have two rolling cabinets with maple tops where a pair of docks can fit and still roll under the bench. With this system I can roll out one or both cabinets, attach one of the docked presses and still have the main bench freed up.

I like his lighting kits. That will be only every press I can do but with the battery pack instead of 110.

I think we have great talent in manufacturing useful reloading items on this list. I'm very impressed and would rather do business with just about anyone here.

Take care

r1kk1

thehouseproduct
12-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Hope I'm not too late to the game but I'm interested in the shellplate pictured as well.

Kiwishooter
12-14-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm also interested in the shellplate pictured for the Co-ax press.

I got my Co-ax a few years ago when a good friend gave up shooting........he gave me his press.........Kiwi